Sashas are gone...

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
I said goodbye to my Sashas yesterday. Had them for 3 years and 2 weeks. I got many many hours of enjoyment out of them, but it was time to move on.

Say hello to the new boss.

Alexias.jpg

Alexia Left.jpg

Alexia Right.jpg

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
Congrats...beautiful! Let us know how the break-in goes.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Nice oughta sound great with Nick's amps!

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
Guess we can't talk smack about you now.... Congrats!! I know I love mine...

joeinid

Mar 14, 2011
NY
Alexia? Congratulations. Absolutely Beautiful. I love those speakers. I can't wait for your updates.

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
Wow congrats !!! I bet they sound awesome !!

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
I had my dealer setup his demo pair in my house for audition and ended up buying them (I loved the color - Titanium Brown). I had heard this pair previously a few months back at an event with Peter McGrath & Dan D'Agostino so I'm pretty sure they're fully broken in. I did spend about an hour today removing the protective shrink wrap so apart from having been broken in, they are as good as new.

Bass is much better than the Sashas - more detail/resolution in the low frequencies and bass is faster - a little closer to a sealed box sound compared to the Sashas. I definitely prefer the new tweeter. Overall I'm still trying to find where they want to live in my room - I'm dealing with a much leaner presentation that I like - but hopefully that will be cured in time.

Anyone know if going from casters to spikes (and lowering the woofers closer to the floor) will typically make it leaner or warmer?

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
Wow congrats !!! I bet they sound awesome !!

Not quite the same as your awesome speakers (which I got to hear locally a month and a half ago - they are stunning)!

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Congratulations - I have heard the Alexia's several times and I really loved them. They are fantastic speakers, an order of magnitude better than the Sasha's.

Remember that for the burn in phase you can put them one against the other (facing the other) and reverse the phase of one of them - it will cancel the bass - and put a lot of absorbing material around them.

But do not forget to correct the phase for listening!

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
I had my dealer setup his demo pair in my house for audition and ended up buying them (I loved the color - Titanium Brown). I had heard this pair previously a few months back at an event with Peter McGrath & Dan D'Agostino so I'm pretty sure they're fully broken in. I did spend about an hour today removing the protective shrink wrap so apart from having been broken in, they are as good as new.

Bass is much better than the Sashas - more detail/resolution in the low frequencies and bass is faster - a little closer to a sealed box sound compared to the Sashas. I definitely prefer the new tweeter. Overall I'm still trying to find where they want to live in my room - I'm dealing with a much leaner presentation that I like - but hopefully that will be cured in time.

Anyone know if going from casters to spikes (and lowering the woofers closer to the floor) will typically make it leaner or warmer?

MadFloyd, great speaker's. At the Newport show, I though they were the best sound at the show. I would expect spikes to firm up the bass...which could be perceived as a leaner presentation....although that's NOT what it is, it's more accurate, IMO.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010

Fantastic news! Congrats! They are remarkably good speakers as you already know. I can only imagine how they sound with your electronics...I intuitively sense i'd find it a special combination. Magic. As for bass, I would definitely put the spikes on. Wilson is pretty specific about their designs...Martin Colloms also made a specific note about how much better they were when the spikes went on. I'll recheck if he noted changes in bass.

I know you have just made a big investment...Stillpoints Ultra Vs are great under Wilsons...ask Turntable and Bruce here as well. I suspect placement may change bass...how are you running your RELs with these? Also, your dealer will know how many hours they've had so far ( sometimes with lots of equipment) speakers don't actually get that much time playing.

joeinid

Mar 14, 2011
NY
Lloyd,

The more I look at Alexia, the more I like them. :)

Jazzhead

VIP/Donor
Aug 26, 2012
MadFloyd , Congrats !!! Looking great . UltraV's below are the way to go , try investigate if possible . Put them under my Coltrane 2 , was a big move . Enjoy !

Lildebs888

May 12, 2011
Grantsville, Utah
www.facebook.com
Big congrats, Madfloyd!! Look forward to hearing more when you get them spiked :)

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
Wow, congrats ! Love the color.

Interesting that you mentioned the improvement in LF performance - that was also the first thing I noticed when I traded my Sashas for the Magico S5s.

mbovaird

Banned
Jan 5, 2013
I LOVE those speakers. Congrats. Even though I just got D3's, I still pine for Alexia's.

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
Thanks for all the kind comments!

I took off the casters. If you look closely at the pic from the seating position, you'll notice that the casters were temporarily installed into the cones that accept the spikes. This made the speakers sit much higher than they normally would. Thinking that this would throw off the propogation chart, I removed the castes and put in the spikes - but I have them sitting on Herbies Hush Puckies (basically sliders made to go under spikes).

Holy deep bass, batman! I had turned off the subs while I tried to play with positioning and thought they were on! I need to start over in terms of placement which I hope to do today.

Lloyd, my RELs are hooked up to the Doshi amps (as opposed to a separate IC from the preamp). They take the signal (and character) from the amp but do not add any load.

It has crossed my mind that the speakers might not be fully broken in; I'll have to ask my dealer.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing