Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
You mentioned electronics harmonic distortion enhancing dynamics. The implication there is that at higher power draws, the amp will start to produce audible levels that boost this dynamics perception. But what about at low levels? I have found that SETs, for example, are more dynamic sounding even at low volumes where their harmonic distortion is low and completely innocuous. My point is that not all of the dynamic perception can be this distortion effect. Also, even if cleaning power and reducing distortion is technically "correct" ,if it lessens the emotional engagement of the music, is it a net benefit to the listener? BTW, I use a power regenerator and I find that it has only positive benefits. I have tried filters and some help and some do not...some kill the sound completely, where a regenerator on the same system works beautifully.
I agree on all levels. I hope to have my Audion SET 845 back soon. I want to hear a good SET in my system. I don't know the distortion level of SET. I thought SET had distortions also, but they were even order, not odd order. Even order being perceived as pleasing and odd as harsh. That belief is what I believe others with more education in the field say.

Filters are still the wild west. I have wondered about lithium batteries with a large inverter. You could make a system with equivalent battery storage to 2 Stromtank S5000 with an even larger single inverter for about $17K. That would be an inverter with 30,000 watt output . Inverter would be less than 3% thd. Heck, it could even be done fairly legally if it was truly stand alone with its own power strip.

At one time I looked into making a belt drive generator. A electric motor attached to a generator motor with a belt. Use a Frequency drive on the primary to stabilize the voltage on the output. Most power from hydro, wind, gas, oil, nuclear are a spinning turbine. The biggest hinderance I saw was finding a really good secondary generator core to make the new power. All those small units are made to back up a house or building. They are not designed for high sensitivity lab equipment. And, it would have to be a UL assembly that would cost big money to develop And the utilities require all sorts of labeling and disconnects to put a second power generation system on a property.

I do believe you need some amount of filters to get a stereo to its highest level. There is too much noise out there. How and what you apply and where is open to a lot of debate.

Reactions: Lagonda

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
@Ron Resnick
Ron, guests are aaying they like your setup. How are you feeling?

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
Should I take it by your silence you threw up your hands at my question on your satisfaction with your system. You would preder I wade into an incredible 5122 post. I was really hoping to just hear its come together and your very happy. You seem to have put a lot of work and effort into it. I hope its meets all your expectations and more. Congratulations on a fine setup.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Should I take it by your silence you threw up your hands at my question on your satisfaction with your system.
No; I think it is ill-advised to jump to any assumption as a result of a member's failure to respond rapidly to a question.:)

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I was really hoping to just hear its come together and your very happy. You seem to have put a lot of work and effort into it. I hope its meets all your expectations and more. Congratulations on a fine setup.

The room has had a major setback. Despite years of costly repairs to our house I heard a dripping sound in the ceiling soffit above the electrical sub-panel on the left side of the listening room.

Everything in the listening room and the adjacent equipment room and the record storage/office loft area upstairs has been under plastic tarps while a new contractor investigates the dripping sound for the last three weeks -- ever since the day after Al and Ian left.

The new contractor thinks there is no actual water leakage or water damage (good news), and that the dripping sound is due to contraction and expansion of a pipe in a rat's nest of pipes and conduits and cables in the soffit. So the contractor has been untangling and rerouting some of that stuff. This has proved to be time consuming and thus expensive (bad news).

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
I had that exact same event in my house. It was the ABS drain passing through the wall plates between floors. As the drain would get hot from shower water passing through, it would expand and make a drip sound. I cut open my wall to figure it out. I ended up waxing the pipe where it went through the floor and the noise went away.

So sorry to hear about the mess.
Maybe you can take the opportunity to drop a couple #10 NM-B to compare to the JPS labs. It would be great to know.

Doc76

Aug 29, 2023
United States
The room has had a major setback. Despite years of costly repairs to our house I heard a dripping sound in the ceiling soffit above the electrical sub-panel on the left side of the listening room.

Everything in the listening room and the adjacent equipment room and the record storage/office loft area upstairs has been under plastic tarps while a new contractor investigates the dripping sound for the last three weeks -- ever since the day after Al and Ian left.

The new contractor thinks there is no actual water leakage or water damage (good news), and that the dripping sound is due to contraction and expansion of a pipe in a rat's nest of pipes and conduits and cables in the soffit. So the contractor has been untangling and rerouting some of that stuff. This has proved to be time consuming and thus expensive (bad news).
So sorry for the set back. At least it was caught before there was any major damage. Hope it get right for you soon.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
So sorry to hear about the mess.
Maybe you can take the opportunity to drop a couple #10 NM-B to compare to the JPS labs. It would be great to know.

I did this direct comparison in my system. The two sounded surprisingly different.

Ron, I’m glad the contractor figured out the source of the problem.

Reactions: MadFloyd
Jan 18, 2012
Drobak Norway
so sry to hear....
what material are the pipes since they can contract and expand?
copper?....here in Norway they install plastic hoses outside the pipes leading back to water central cabinet, to have control over potential leaks

Attachments

• 1708193284979.png
    1708193284979.png
    813.7 KB · Views: 49
Reactions: Johan K

Johan K

Dec 27, 2022
Sweden
Ron,

Sorry to hear about this - Wish I had something to say, but these things can really be a PITA.. Hope everything turns out okay. Hang in there…

All the best / Johan

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
I did this direct comparison in my system. The two sounded surprisingly different.

Ron, I’m glad the contractor figured out the source of the problem.
I don't find it surprising at all. One is fine stranded copper with a tin coating. The other is solid with no coating. My guess would be the fine strand tin would be heavy and a touch wolly. The solid plain copper more quick and alive with more natural tones.

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
so sry to hear....
what material are the pipes since they can contract and expand?
copper?....here in Norway they install plastic hoses outside the pipes leading back to water central cabinet, to have control over potential leaks
Had a slow leak in the floor in the kitchen, from a dedicated pipe running from the water heater upstairs. Instead of removing kitchen appliances' cabinets and floor i re-routed a plastic pipe trough the ceiling close to the roof. Sometimes when it freezes under -10 C , the plastic pipe freezes and i have no hot water in the kitchen sink, but it comes back when temperatures rises again without bursting ! :)

Reactions: cjfrbw
Jan 18, 2012
Drobak Norway
Biltema has heatercables to place in parallell with the water pipe to prevent from freezing....ready to plug into ac outlet

Johan K

Dec 27, 2022
Sweden
Biltema has heatercables to place in parallell with the water pipe to prevent from freezing....ready to plug into ac outlet
They also have hotdogs for 5:kr SEK :p !!!

Even though a hot dog can’t heat a water pipe even while barking :D !

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
Awesome Leif ! :) I even have a Biltema near me.

• Haha
Reactions: Johan K

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Oh, wow. Sorry to read that Ron. I realize how much water related grief you have put up with. And I had my share with two years of water related repairs.

Hope the consequences are not too daunting. Hang in there.
Thank you, Mike!

Holli82

Jun 6, 2010
BUMMER! So sorry to hear this. I hope this gets fixed soon.

Reactions: Pokey77

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing