microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Not your pseudo philosophical ramblings, that’s for sure.

Oh, I had forgotten you prefer mud fights to a nice discussion. Have a nice Sunday. Bye.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Pretty sure I heard nutsack rustle and assorted flatulance rather than a black background !

Please kindly refrain from littering my system thread. Thank you.

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
Oh, I had forgotten you prefer mud fights to a nice discussion. Have a nice Sunday. Bye.
I asked you for evidence that what you were saying was factual and not pure speculation on your part and then, as usual, you obfuscate and ramble rather than give any support to your claim. How is that mud slinging?

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
Just to continue to pollute the thread, the Sheldonian figured prominently tonight in the final (and concluding of the series) episode of the PBS "Endeavour". At the end, the younger Morse is seen at choir practice in the Sheldonian. He drives away through some gates in his Jag, while another red Jag rolls past into the gates presumably with the older Morse. I guess Morse will continue again as his older self in Oxford in new series?

Rexp

Aug 31, 2022
Yeah this thread is now not so interesting since Ron has gone to the dark side and given up on system videos.

• Haha
Reactions: Al M.

pjwd

Jun 22, 2015
Brisbane
Just to continue to pollute the thread, the Sheldonian figured prominently tonight in the final (and concluding of the series) episode of the PBS "Endeavour". At the end, the younger Morse is seen at choir practice in the Sheldonian. He drives away through some gates in his Jag, while another red Jag rolls past into the gates presumably with the older Morse. I guess Morse will continue again as his older self in Oxford in new series?
Its s cool venue and I can see why bonzo likes its acoustics.. esp seated on the flat floor .. high ceilings, broken up wall planes and lots of direct sound then delayed reflections .. seemed a short reverb time in video

Phil

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I had a wonderful time on Saturday hosting six audiophiles at the house!

IMG_7326.jpeg

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
What's the pooch's opinion of the high frequency balance?

Reactions: bonzo75

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
What's the pooch's opinion of the high frequency balance?

As you can see in the photo Lola looks slightly annoyed:

"Dad, why are you interrupting us for a photo? We're trying to LISTEN here!"

image0.jpeg

With all of the guests we did not get to play Lola's favorite track on Qobuz -- "Junk Food Junkie" by Larry Groce. But she was very relaxed the entire listening session, so I think she feels that the brightness/edginess is gone.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston

View attachment 112702

With all of the guests we did not get to play Lola's favorite track on Qobuz -- "Junk Food Junkie" by Larry Groce. But she was very relaxed the entire listening session, so I think she feels that the brightness/edginess is gone.

Lola looks super cute.

Reactions: Ron Resnick

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC

View attachment 112702

"Everyone's a critic."

Pokey77

Feb 16, 2022
@Ron Resnick

My wife and I have two buddies living here with us. They are Lola and Pokey. Lola is a Blue-headed Pionus and Pokey is a Meyers Parrot.

Unlike your Lola, my Lola is not a good listening buddy, she lasts less than five minutes before she starts squawking!

--With all the smiling faces, looks like you all had a great listening party.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
TURNTABLE UPDATE:

Yesterday I officially ordered a Brinkmann Balance 2 arm turntable and RoNt III.

I ordered from HRS the Brinkmann specific platform with silver trim.

I spoke yesterday with Bob Graham who said that he will be working on my 10" Phantom Elite in silver as part of his current production run. (Sorry J.R.!) I am planning to order the Cardas phono XL cable for the Phantom Elite.

Reed is working on the 5T in seashell with Cocobolo arm-wand and captive copper wires. (Sorry J.R.!)

If it ever all comes together, it should be a rootin-tootin set-up!

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
PS: I already am a little bit suspicious/nervous about whether there is something about the balanced interconnects system (versus single-ended cables) which tends to suppress even-order harmonics somehow (due to the common mode noise rejection) and makes the sound somehow less rich or natural or organic. o_O

(I know Ralph Karsten counsels that this is not the case. Each of Aesthetix and Gryphon and VTL is an advocate of balanced connections. So I am massively out-voted on this concern.)

I am reconsidering the single-ended versus balanced inputs and cables question for my system. My original decision was to go with balanced inputs and cables because:

1) a 50 foot interconnect run kind of sounds like the length where single-ended might not be a great idea, especially with all of the Lutron and wi-fi RF generators I have sprinkled around the listening room; and

2) both Gryphon and VTL design their components around balanced topology.

In the Masters & Makers interviews I standardly ask cable manufacturers this question. From the interviewees' answers thus far I conclude that the notion that common mode rejection tends to suppress even order harmonics is not a frivolous point.

I suspect that systems using balanced inputs and cables are reducing their "noise floor," but likely at the cost of some harmonic richness. I also suspect this is why Lamm never bothered to develop true-balanced inputs, and one reason why Lamm electronics sound so believable in so many systems.

Last edited:

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
TURNTABLE UPDATE:

Yesterday I officially ordered a Brinkmann Balance 2 arm turntable and RoNt III.

I ordered from HRS the Brinkmann specific platform with silver trim.

I spoke yesterday with Bob Graham who said that he will be working on my 10" Phantom Elite in silver as part of his current production run. (Sorry J.R.!) I am planning to order the Cardas phono XL cable for the Phantom Elite.

Reed is working on the 5T in seashell with Cocobolo arm-wand and captive copper wires. (Sorry J.R.!)

If it ever all comes together, it should be a rootin-tootin set-up!
What?? No Kuzma Safir? Your missing the bomb…

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing