Renderer vs. USB or AES + Roon Core server suggestions

Brucemck2

Member Sponsor
May 10, 2010
Houston area
I’m in the middle of inserting an isolated network, MSB Reference Dac, and MSB Director into my chain. Two questions for folks on this forum:

1) I am looking for Roon Core server recommendations. I need enough horsepower to run convolution filters (I use them occasionally) and enough resident hard drive space to manage a sizable (approximately 6tb library). Ideally the unit would also enable me to use HQ Player, but that’s a nice to have and not a must have. I’d like to keep the cost of the unit below $10k. Anyone have a perspective on a Nucleus+ vs. a SonicTransporter (i7 or i9)? Versus an Antipodes K50? Other recommendations?

2) Are the sonics via Ethernet into the Renderer module better/worse than using the Director’s USB input? AES? This will (obviously) have a bearing on the server choice.

Thanks.

Another Johnson

VIP/Donor
Jan 13, 2022
Music City, USA aka Nashville
I’m in the middle of inserting an isolated network, MSB Reference Dac, and MSB Director into my chain. Two questions for folks on this forum:

1) I am looking for Roon Core server recommendations. I need enough horsepower to run convolution filters (I use them occasionally) and enough resident hard drive space to manage a sizable (approximately 6tb library). Ideally the unit would also enable me to use HQ Player, but that’s a nice to have and not a must have. I’d like to keep the cost of the unit below $10k. Anyone have a perspective on a Nucleus+ vs. a SonicTransporter (i7 or i9)? Versus an Antipodes K50? Other recommendations?

2) Are the sonics via Ethernet into the Renderer module better/worse than using the Director’s USB input? AES? This will (obviously) have a bearing on the server choice.

Thanks.
I like my Nucleus, but I’ve heard an excellent system that ran the Roon Core on an Innous Statement.

7ryder

Jan 31, 2015
An Antipodes K50 will do the trick - plenty of storage, runs convolution filters, and does HQ Player without breaking a sweat. I had a Sonic Transporter i7 before I got the K50, the K50 is better. That said, unless you find one used, you won't get one for $10K...

Luckily, I know a guy who has an Extreme inbound (supposed to ship this week) and will be selling his shortly.

Reactions: Brucemck2

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing