Recommendations For a TTL Flash For My Canon EOS 5D Mk ll

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
First off would users stick with a Canon flash rather than other brand name flashes for the camera. In years gone by I have owned larger Metz MecaBlitz flash attachments which used a bracket for the side of the camera rather than the shoe.

As for Canon flashes (which I am leaning towards) the one which I am inclined to buy is their 580 EX II Speedlite which has a very respectable Guide Number of 190.

I would appreciate any feedback on what others are using for flashes with their Canon cameras. I must admit that I did like my large Metz MecaBlitz (or maybe it was an UltraBlitz)

vinylphilemag

WBF Founding Member
Apr 30, 2010
Kelowna, BC
www.vinylphilemag.com
I was recently on an informal photography course where the subject was lighting (it was only a 2 hour class). The instructor said that for the primary (or only) flash, it's better to stick within brand (regardless of what that brand is) because the two bits of gear will talk best to each other. The 580 EX II to which you refer is one I'm interested in...

DonH50

Member Sponsor & WBF Technical Expert
Jun 22, 2010
Monument, CO
The Metz is nice if a bit heavy, but a lot of features of the fancy new flashes are brand-specific, though third parties tend to catch up quickly. That said, the 580 is a fantastic flash, not to heavy and high output. I'd start with that.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
The new 580 flash finally fixes some of the critical failings of the old including having a locking mechanism to attach it to the camera and not so flimsy battery cover.

That said, in general, I am not a fan of flash look. So I only use mine out of necessity. Camera sensitivity has improved leaps and bounds compared to film so the need for flash to get higher general level of light is gone for the most part. It is still useful to "open up shadows." There, I often resort to doing the same in post production using photoshop. It can be tedious work at times but still worth not having to drag the heavy flash out there.

Where I use flash extensively is for macro pictures of flowers and such. I use the dual head MT-24EX:

It is a wonderfully flexible macro flash with adjustable heads. I put tissue on the flashes to soften their light. With marvel of digital cameras, you can play with the location of the flashes and experiment until you get the right look. You get an entire hobby to itself with this flash, a 100 to 180mm macro lens. This is a not so remarkable example of it (I need to upload more of my macro shots):

Then again, this is a version without flash:

I did say I do without the flash, did I not? :D

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Thanks Steve. I use the 180mm F3.5L. I like the longer reach that it provides vs shorter lenses.

That said, there a lot of good options there. People like the third-party Sigma and such.

There is also a new Canon 100 MM with IS. Image stabilization should be quite handy for chasing bugs and such although as I just mentioned, 100mm in my opinion forces you too close the subject. My 100 only gets used on trips and not close to home where the larger size and weight of the 180 is not a concern.

Here is more to whet your appetite for macro images :)

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Thanks Amir. i have my new desktop photo. Flower with bug on it.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
is the 180/f3.5 fast enough for you?

do you use a tripod for macro photography
Always use a tripod and a cable release. And if the shutter speed is too slow, you have to use mirror lock up. Controlling vibration is key (both from camera and subject).

And yes, 3.5 is fine as you usually stop down to get more depth of field. So other than needing a bright enough viewfinder to see what you are doing, a fast lens is not important at all. That said, those selective focus shots I posted are all at f4.5. Typical macro shots though are done at f11+.

DonH50

Jun 22, 2010
Monument, CO
I hate you both. :D Nice pix, Amir! I love macro but rarely have time (too many hobbies, too little time). I have used almost anything handy to diffuse the flash; kleenex (colored can be cool), paper (ditto), plastic, wax paper, scotch tape, whatever. Sometimes over the flash, sometimes with the flash directed elsewhere and bounced, often a little of both (a little direct to add some shadows for contrast and depth, diffuse/reflected light to fill in the rest). I still use the little cable release from my college (OM-10) days (would that everything else I owned then, including my joints and little pea brain, worked as well!)

Is it a requirement that everybody here have multiple, expensive, time-consuming hobbies? :D At least I fit that profile... - Don

DonH50

Jun 22, 2010
Monument, CO
Most flashes these days come with a hard plastic bouncer/diffusor, and you can buy a pop-on translucent diffusor for them. I used to use the hard plastic thingie but drape a handkerchief over it to mellow it out a bit...

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing