Nikon vs Canon

Ron Party

WBF Founding Member
Apr 30, 2010
Oakland, CA
Congrats Steve!

I don't think I can afford to be on this forum... ;)

That's why whenever Steve invites me over to listen to some tunes, I go. To paraphrase the line about money, if I had Steve's audio gear, I'd throw mine away.

Sharp 1080

Apr 20, 2010
Dallas,Texas
Congratulations Steve, I'm pretty sure you'll enjoy using it.

DonH50

Member Sponsor & WBF Technical Expert
Jun 22, 2010
Monument, CO
OK, enough congratulatory junk -- Steve, what glass do you have and/or are getting to go with your new toy? Also, I really want to hear how the latest top-end flashes work; can't decide which one to get. - Don

LesAuber

Jun 21, 2010
Anyone know if the old Nikkor manual focus lenses are still compatible with the current crop of Nikon SLR or did they change the interface entirely?

DonH50

Member Sponsor & WBF Technical Expert
Jun 22, 2010
Monument, CO
There is (was, anyway) a fairly comprehensive discussion on the Nikon site about this. Some are, to some degree, and some aren't. IIRC, most will actually work, but metering gets hosed (uh, becomes inaccurate). They will fit the mount, anyway.

The Smokester

Jun 7, 2010
N. California
Anyone know if the old Nikkor manual focus lenses are still compatible with the current crop of Nikon SLR or did they change the interface entirely?

It depends on the body...The more pro ones usually will work. But, go to the Nikon site for the proper details. (It's best to have at least a "D" lens.)

Jay_S

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
San Francisco - East Bay
It does depend on the body but some of the oldest lenses will still work on the newer bodies. The basic F bayonet mount remains unchanged from 1959. I've used an old pre-AI Nikkor macro on my D40, but with no metering.

LesAuber

Jun 21, 2010
Mine are all post AI if I remember the nomenclature correctly. Designed to work with the metering in my FM anyway.

The Smokester

Jun 7, 2010
N. California
Mine are all post AI if I remember the nomenclature correctly. Designed to work with the metering in my FM anyway.

I love the FM. One of the best travel SLRs ever.

Since I am invested in Nikon glass I have a D700, but these SLRs are just too heavy for my style of photography (travel and candids). I am waiting for a high-quality, digital rangefinder to emerge so I can replace my Contax G2. (Can't afford a Leica M8/9.)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing