QuadDiffuser

VIP/Donor
Apr 2, 2017
Hong Kong

heebrog

May 12, 2018
Perth, WA
HI QuadD,

Which bass freq. did you have trouble eliminating with the QRD's and diaphragmatic absorbers?
Did you measure your room before and after applying the PSI AVVA's or did you do it just by ear?

Regards,

Geoff

QuadDiffuser

VIP/Donor
Apr 2, 2017
Hong Kong
HI QuadD,

Which bass freq. did you have trouble eliminating with the QRD's and diaphragmatic absorbers?
Did you measure your room before and after applying the PSI AVVA's or did you do it just by ear?

Regards,

Geoff

Using its staggered 4-mic array, my Trinnov Amethyst captures data in multiple domains, including height/distance azimuth, phase, timing, and frequency. Let me try to dig up some screenshots to demonstrate how the AVAAs have been effective in reducing undesirable room resonance (mostly in multiples of 35Hz) present in the rectangular space (extension of my lining room into the balcony) to the R of my R loudspeakers.

PaulB

Jan 22, 2020
Minneapolis, Minnesota
analog.audio
First post!

I just picked up the PSI Audio line for my audio business and have 2 in my 26'x17'x8' audition room. They really are interesting and have made quite in an impact. I have found that placement is a bit tricky and not what I originally thought, but the results are very good. If you are in the Mineeapolis area, come over and play with them yourself!

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
So, not in corners? Not in front corners?

My room runs to 18'x43', clg ht varies from a 4' at side walls up max of 9' at midline apex.

Soundfan

Feb 3, 2020
Hi! My wall is made of concrete. There is no deep sound where you sit, but if you walk in the room you may be deaf from elsewhere.
What can I do?

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Any new reports about experiences with PSI AVAAs?

Popspin

Apr 28, 2015
Demoing the AVAA for the past week.
my room is treated (Artnovion) but bass trapping was minimal at best. Adding an AVAA makes clearly heard differences. Good ones to my ears. I plan to buy 2. I settled on a front corner after trying 4 different locations.
I hear the changes described in this thread a few years ago. Really positive changes. I wonder why such an effective solution gets traction in the studio world but not ours.
Have you seen the new model coming out? A more attractive cylinder shaped trap. With an app to control it from your phone. DSP vs analog; not sure if the changes make a difference in performance or just in aesthetics and control.
Guess I’m the only one with bass issues and not enough room to build out effective physical bass traps!

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
That's great!

As I detailed in my system thread I bought two AVAAs!

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I wonder why such an effective solution gets traction in the studio world but not ours.

I think few audiophiles know about this device. It was reviewed in Stereophile, but a long time ago.
Have you seen the new model coming out? A more attractive cylinder shaped trap. With an app to control it from your phone. DSP vs analog; not sure if the changes make a difference in performance or just in aesthetics and control.

Yes, but other than remote control, I can't figure out how it works differently with DSP.

Last edited:

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Hey Ron, which AVAAs did you by...the analog 20 or the digital 214?
That's great!

As I detailed in my system thread I bought two AVAAs!

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA

LL21

Dec 26, 2010

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Thanks! The only 3 corners available would be...adjacent to the sub or the 2 main speakers. Hmmm...

Why would you need these? I don't think you have ever reported a room boom bass node before?

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Why would you need these? I don't think you have ever reported a room boom bass node before?
I was really just curious...as you know the system here has been slowly refined over the years, and now we are down just to sub-35hz power and all-out effortless delivery. Of course, that is both air movement and of course accuracy. Hence, I am continuing to explore options to achieve this. And I imagine it is not just about pure air displacement. So I am continuing to go thru options and opportunities.

I have never seen much in the way of absorbers/diffusors which work below 35hz so was curious when you mentioned them.

Reactions: Ron Resnick

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Lloyd, they're £3k each from UK dealer. Credit card at the ready...

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Lloyd, they're £3k each from UK dealer. Credit card at the ready...
Have your ever tried them or heard anyone else speak about their performance?

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
I used to run a similar device from Spatial Audio (only £1k a decade ago) in my challenging 27x29x13 and 9-cornered London studio apartment, and it was pretty nifty...bass nodes were truly an issue.
Here in my dedicated room, bass response is much smoother, and I've not felt the need to go beyond passive bass traps.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I used to run a similar device from Spatial Audio (only £1k a decade ago) in my challenging 27x29x13 and 9-cornered London studio apartment, and it was pretty nifty...bass nodes were truly an issue.
Here in my dedicated room, bass response is much smoother, and I've not felt the need to go beyond passive bass traps.
Thanks and good to know.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
I'm sure the UK rep can let you trial it.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing