mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Devert,
Thanks for the thougtful response.

Mark

j_n

Nov 18, 2011
So I'm using balanced ICs. You think I should wrap both of them in a small loop around the PC?

edit: not a small loop..wrapped the entire length.

Yes, it is certainly worth a try. Even balanced can have the problem, this is generically a pin 1 problem.

But first, just try proximity to. If that reduces the hum/buzz at all, then that would seem to indicate strongly that it's ground loop pickup.

If that does indeed work, then it would probably "behoove" Ray to give me a call. (I love that word..behoove.. It behooves me.. ).. :D..

I have tests which will force that issue, so that the designer can fix it out, make the amp bulletproof.

Cheers, jn

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
My first thought is no.

My second is, try moving the IC's around. I've solved problems by actually twisting the ic's around the power cords ( although my example of 125 foot cords is kinda extreme).. Think of the IC's and power cords as defining a loop in space, and that any magnetic fields in the area that are able to go through that loop can make noise. If you reduce that physical loop size, you reduce the amount of magnetic field that can go through it.

Almost everybody I hear tends to say that power cords and IC's don't mix, keep em apart, keep em 90 degrees... None of that is correct... another windmill for me to tip at...:D

Cheers, jn

My listening experience obviously doesn't jive with yours. It's so apparent when an AC cord runs parallel to a PC in my system--sometimes so much that I have to check that my cats haven't moved my cords (that's by laying on them ;) ). Anyway, the most apparent sonic artifact is a brightness and silverly sheen to the sound when AC cords and ICs are in the immediate vicinity.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
We-are trying to bust some hum and buzz. What's your suggestion Myles?

j_n

Nov 18, 2011
My listening experience obviously doesn't jive with yours. It's so apparent when an AC cord runs parallel to a PC in my system--sometimes so much that I have to check that my cats haven't moved my cords (that's by laying on them ;) ). Anyway, the most apparent sonic artifact is a brightness and silverly sheen to the sound when AC cords and ICs are in the immediate vicinity.
Interesting.

Balanced, unbalanced, shielded, twisted, q's?

Simple proximity of two twisted pairs where there is an integral relationship between twist pitches can easily couple more. When I twisted my ic's around my power cord, I made very certain that the twist pitch of the power cord was not duplicated by my twisting the ic's.

Two cables with either the same pitch, or an integral number will couple strongly in proximity. If the ic's for example, twist at twice per foot and the line cord once per foot, they will couple strongly.

Cat5e cable kills this coupling by virtue of 4 different twist pitches internally.

My point to mep is that if movement of one cord in relation to another causes a system change, then that is a strong indicator that the system has coupling between external magnetic fields and the input circuitry. In your case, it would seem that the power drawn is coupling to the input circuitry.

Cheers, jn

fas42

Addicted To Best
Jan 8, 2011
NSW Australia
Couple of thoughts, Mark ...

Have you tried as a short term experiment plugging the Krell into the same socket as the rest of the gear?

Maybe you have a DC offset on the mains voltage upsetting the transformer, try inserting a DC blocker in the mains line.

Frank

mep

Apr 20, 2010
edit: not a small loop..wrapped the entire length.

Yes, it is certainly worth a try. Even balanced can have the problem, this is generically a pin 1 problem.

But first, just try proximity to. If that reduces the hum/buzz at all, then that would seem to indicate strongly that it's ground loop pickup.

If that does indeed work, then it would probably "behoove" Ray to give me a call. (I love that word..behoove.. It behooves me.. ).. :D..

I have tests which will force that issue, so that the designer can fix it out, make the amp bulletproof.

Cheers, jn

I tried moving the ICs around and the hum level doesn't change. I'm sure the hum/buzz is originating from the power transformer as you can plainly hear it when you get your ear next to the top of the amp. I tried wrapping the left channel IC around the PC and that made no difference either.

I took a look at a cheap 10A PC and after noting that it plugs in perfectly to the KSA-250, I could see the snout of the cheap PC female connector was a little longer than the snout on my PS audio cord which I think is allowing it the greater stability I normally see with all "regular" power cords.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
We-are trying to bust some hum and buzz. What's your suggestion Myles?

Are the preamp and amplifier on the same dedicated circuit?

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Interesting.

Balanced, unbalanced, shielded, twisted, q's?

Simple proximity of two twisted pairs where there is an integral relationship between twist pitches can easily couple more. When I twisted my ic's around my power cord, I made very certain that the twist pitch of the power cord was not duplicated by my twisting the ic's.

Two cables with either the same pitch, or an integral number will couple strongly in proximity. If the ic's for example, twist at twice per foot and the line cord once per foot, they will couple strongly.

Cat5e cable kills this coupling by virtue of 4 different twist pitches internally.

My point to mep is that if movement of one cord in relation to another causes a system change, then that is a strong indicator that the system has coupling between external magnetic fields and the input circuitry. In your case, it would seem that the power drawn is coupling to the input circuitry.

Cheers, jn

Single ended. Only way cj components come :) And it's true for a wide variety of cables that I've had over the years :)

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Why no. I have a dedicated 20A circuit for the KSA-250.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Devert-No, I didn't try that as I thought that would blow the entire reason/concept of having a dedicated 20A circuit for the KSA-250 which Krell strongly recommends.

DonH50

Member Sponsor & WBF Technical Expert
Jun 22, 2010
Monument, CO
I tried moving the ICs around and the hum level doesn't change. I'm sure the hum/buzz is originating from the power transformer as you can plainly hear it when you get your ear next to the top of the amp. I tried wrapping the left channel IC around the PC and that made no difference either.

My bold... Are you saying it is a mechanical/physical buzz from the transformer/chassis itself? Moving cords and rerouting power will not fix that. If that's the case, you either need a new transformer, or better isolation of the transformer's mass (usually accomplished with little rubber/plastic donuts). That is a design issue, not a consumer issue...

mauidan

Member Sponsor
Aug 2, 2010
Pukalani, HI
Devert-No, I didn't try that as I thought that would blow the entire reason/concept of having a dedicated 20A circuit for the KSA-250 which Krell strongly recommends.

I have separate 20A outlets in my listening room.

I've always put the amp/s on a different circuit than the preamp and never had any problems until I tried a Decware Zen TORII MK III a couple of months ago.

With the same ICs & PCs I was getting hum/noise with the Zen TORII MK III. I floated the ground on the amp's PC and the hum was reduced but still there.

Plugged the amp and preamp into the same AC outlet and the hum/noise was gone.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Hi Don,

What makes transformers buzz mechanically? I've always been curious about that.

TIA

Jack

FrantzM

Apr 20, 2010
@mep

It could be interesting to bring all the ground in your system to the same potential.. Different ground potentials (voltage if you will) do tend to allow those "ground loops". If plugging the preamp and amp on the same circuit eliminates the hum, then this is an indication of your various grounds at different potential .. Using a 4th wire to link the ground usually works very well in these situations. I don't know if that is against (US) codes but I do think that is allowed for server rooms in Data Center Electric infrastructures.

I am not sure that changing power cords would change this however ...

@J_N ..Welcome to the WBF ...

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
It is worth trying Mark to see if it makes a difference.

I agree. As Jim Weill pointed out, you could have a problem with the dedicated lines being set up on either the same or opposite legs.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
About the only thing i dislike about my Rowland model 8 is that it hums:(. Many years ago, i talked to Jeff about this issue. He told me that his Far East clientele had insisted that he fix this problem and so he had to do away with the choke power supply in these amps to address the problem. ( although in many ways, i think by doing this he threw away the baby with the dishwater....great saying don't you think..:D)
What I have noticed in the many years since that conversation is that hum seems related to many variables...even with a dedicated line,for instance it will depend on the time of day that I am listening and other less repeatable variables. ( I do think the power surges and drops from the dear local power Co., can still cause issues).
BTW, my DIY Supra cable with the Wattgate plugs is FAR superior than the stock 20 amp cord that comes with the amp, a great 20 amp iec is very important , IMHO.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing