Posting a Video Recording of Your System Playing

Cellcbern

VIP/Donor
Jul 30, 2015
Washington, DC
I have never attempted to record and post a video of my system playing at WBF (or anyplace else). I am wondering how best to do this (e.g., with I-phone, laptop, microphones or other specialized equipment....?) so that viewers can get a real sense of the nuances of particular equipment, accessory, and room treatment choices (assuming this is possible with an online video)?

Advice appreciated.

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
If you wanna be on a level playing field , just use you smartphone without external mic , like most do here i assume .
May be some are " cheating " :) with expensive cameras / external mics im not not sure .
If you have a microfoon standard you can place your phone in it at ear height / listening distance and push record and leave the room so you dont record any other noises .

Cellcbern

VIP/Donor
Jul 30, 2015
Washington, DC
If you wanna be on a level playing field , just use you smartphone without external mic , like most do here i assume .
May be some are " cheating " :) with expensive cameras / external mics im not not sure .
If you have a microfoon standard you can place your phone in it at ear height / listening distance and push record and leave the room so you dont record any other noises .
Thanks!

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Normal hand phone will do. But Best not to post. Posting shows cards in your hand and Bonzo will grin. ;)

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
@ Cellcbern , no you can post
If Bonzo has a comment just ask him to post a vid of his own personal stereo system;)

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: XV-1

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Normal hand phone will do. But Best not to post. Posting shows cards in your hand and Bonzo will grin. ;)

Posting videos is risky because people can then judge on sound rather than just words. Later words might then be ignored. Interestingly, dealers who want to sell, post videos. They must think there is some merit to them. It is not easy to write about sound.

Reactions: Audire

Cellcbern

VIP/Donor
Jul 30, 2015
Washington, DC
Posting videos is risky because people can then judge on sound rather than just words. Later words might then be ignored. Interestingly, dealers who want to sell, post videos. They must think there is some merit to them. It is not easy to write about sound.
I'm just curious to try making a video of my system/room for fun - not to post it in order to grind some audio axe or prove some point. My experience with such video's (e.g., of audiophile friends/club members' systems as well as video's posted at WBF) has been that they can tell you if a system sounds high quality and relatively dialed in as opposed to midfi but can't reproduced the nuances of room acoustics, spatiality, etc.

Last edited:

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
It is most useful if videos are recorded by Samsung or iPhone because anyone can have access to these two. People can get familiar with the characteristic of the sound of these recording devices. Videos below will make you aware of a typical difference of sound recorded from the two brand.

Samsung

iPhone

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
I'm just

I'm just curious to try making a video of my system/room for fun - not to post it in order to grind some audio axe or prove some point. My experience with such video's (e.g., of audiophile friends/club members' systems as well as video's posted at WBF) has been that they can tell you if a system sounds high quality and relatively dialed in as opposed to midfi but can't reproduced the nuances of room acoustics, spatiality, etc.

I understand. Imagine the utility of sharing videos of your acoustic treatment panels in before/after videos though. That would be fun and perhaps quite helpful at demonstrating their efficacy.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
It is most useful if videos are recorded by Samsung or iPhone because anyone can have access to these two. People can get familiar with the characteristic of the sound of these recording devices. Videos below will make you aware of a typical difference of sound recorded from the two brand.

Samsung

iPhone

Thanks Tango. That is a very interesting comparison. I had no idea the two phones sound so different. Besides the stark lighting contrast, I think the iPhone sounds more balanced, especially in the bass. The Samsung bass is much more pronounced over my headphones. There is a calmness to the iPhone video sound which I prefer, and a more nuanced bass sound, less enhanced with better texture and decay. The iPhone highs also don't seem quite as sparkly. I'm trying not to use the term natural. Sure this is not a digital/analog comparison?

Really fascinating. I'm now curious how others hear them. How would you and @bonzo75 describe the differences?

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I understand. Imagine the utility of sharing videos of your acoustic treatment panels in before/after videos though. That would be fun and perhaps quite helpful at demonstrating their efficacy.

I already posted a blind test of with and without where people preferred with, then did not prefer it when panels were increased from 6 to 10. This concurred with the owner and the listener in the room, hieukm who had sent those videos

Reactions: PeterA

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston

Samsung

iPhone

Thanks for the interesting comparison. Sounds like two different systems. Then imagine not just the variable brought in by the recording device as demonstrated above, but also a similar variable brought in by the playback device of the individual listener.

Shows that system videos are terribly useless to show off the sound of a system, and incredibly risky (why would you want to do that?). Obviously, you are NOT listening to the sound of a system, but a highly variable, distorting interpretation of it.

Videos have some very limited usefulness when it comes to comparing components within the same system and under identical recording circumstances.That's it. Nothing beyond that.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Words used to describe system sound are also extremely distorted and filtered by the bias and experience of the writer sharing his opinion.

I think we can all agree that actually hearing the system is best. Absent that, I find videos more useful than poetry, though the latter can be quite entertaining.

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Thanks Tango. That is a very interesting comparison. I had no idea the two phones sound so different. Besides the stark lighting contrast, I think the iPhone sounds more balanced, especially in the bass. The Samsung bass is much more pronounced over my headphones. There is a calmness to the iPhone video sound which I prefer, and a more nuanced bass sound, less enhanced with better texture and decay. The iPhone highs also don't seem quite as sparkly. I'm trying not to use the term natural. Sure this is not a digital/analog comparison?

Really fascinating. I'm now curious how others hear them. How would you and @bonzo75 describe the differences?
The difference is as you heard from the video Peter.

Now this is not addressing to Peter. I only posted two different sound from iPhone recording vs Samsung recording for people to realize the different character. One should not listen to conclude which device sound better when playback. One should listen to see whether iPhone or Samsung recording sound closer to the sound in the room when you were recording... to see how each device capture sound differently or not from real life that you heard when recording. The owner of that room know which phone recording is closer to the real sound in his room. When he listen to other people's video he would ask what type of phone was using to record. These characters will repeat similarly whenever wherever you record using each device. Once understand these characters, use your wisdom to make it useful. The more you familiar with a device the more accurate you can describe sound from a video given it was recorded by the two brand. It is rather unfortunate some people just cannot possibly find any angle to make a tool useful. Hope they never had a chance to have Aladdin lamp under possession...a total waste.

In Bangkok we have an audio chat group, that regularly use videos to illustrate sound difference when you put a new piece of gear in the system. You will be so surprise how good they could describe the sound from videos. They listen from videos in chat group, make comments and then go visit that system. The real world listening normally confirm what they commented before in the chat room.

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Words used to describe system sound are also extremely distorted and filtered by the bias and experience of the writer sharing his opinion.

I think we can all agree that actually hearing the system is best. Absent that, I find videos more useful than poetry, though the latter can be quite entertaining.
Totally agree.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
  • Haha
Reactions: Al M.

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Shows that system videos are terribly useless to show off the sound of a system, and incredibly risky
Risky for what :) ??
The worst thing that can happen is that a bunch of people on a audio forum declare your system as being not up to par based on a video .
I think there are way worse things in life then that .
Its not that your life depends on it
Its all entertainment afaic .

Last edited:
Reactions: dsnyder0cnn

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

Same, I usually preferred iphone videos. The samsung compares sound sharper and more digital compared to analog.

Reactions: PeterA

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
We can all agree on what we think of Al's comments above too

Hehe, I'm just stating the obvious. If you can't see it, your loss.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing