Post a picture of your installed acoustical treatments.

Rutgar

Apr 20, 2010
Dallas Area
mysite.verizon.net
30Hz SBIR null would indeed be around a 19ft path length difference (i.e. the reflected sound travels 19ft further than the direct sound). I have not seen your measurements but chances are at 30Hz this null could more be just a hole in your frequency response where there are no supporting room modes (since the spacing between room modes is quite large down that low, in the 'sparsely populated modal region').

One issue I have with my room, is the fact that it has alcoves on both the front/right corner of the room, and rear/right corner. I really have no idea whether or not these contribute to the 30hz null. That aside, I have passingly thought about how to treat those areas.

Below I have posted a crude drawing of the room. My thought is to eventually place some bass traps on stands to be able to place into the alcoves when I am listening to music. But, I don't know if it would work best with; 1. The traps straddling the corners in the alcoves (green). 2. The traps placed across the opening of the alcoves (red). or 3. The traps placed flat against the back wall of the alcoves (in front of the closed doors and a few inches out (blue).

Anyone have any thoughts on this, or anybody else here who has had to deal with alcoves? I'm thinking the alcove at the front of the room is probably the most problematic. For one thing, all three doors must stay shut. The alcove at the back leads into a large bedroom, and generally the door is open. I have performed measurements with the door opened and closed. It really doesn't seem to make any difference.

floor1.JPG

Also (sorry, so many questions), Nyal or Ethan... In Wes Lachot's article, Bass Waves in the Control Room, he mentions avoiding deep bass traps just behind the listening couch. I assume he is NOT talking about membrane traps (like Ethans)? Plus, since the article is about a control room, is the couch referred to, one which would sit close to the back wall, and not necessarily a normal listening position?

Last edited:

audioguy

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Near Atlanta, GA but not too near!
Here are some photos of a home cinema we just helped out with in the UK. Nine new subwoofers and speakers were installed in the walls, covered by our SoundSuede Fabric, and SoundSuede Acoustical Wall Panels are around the perimeter (purple).

I'm confused. How does providing your company website and showing an install in the UK help the OP solve his very specific problem?? Or is this just a left handed way to tell us you are in the home theater business?

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
I'm confused. How does providing your company website and showing an install in the UK help the OP solve his very specific problem?? Or is this just a left handed way to tell us you are in the home theater business?

yeah, home theatre and 2-channel listening rooms are very different listening environments. you wouldn't want to listen to music in that room!

This thread is dedicated for nothing but pictures of installed acoustical treatment and how if affects the reproductive effort. This can be yours, your buddies or something you spotted that you feel would benefit those who may be interested in some acoustical treatment. Feel free to offer your observations before and after the install(s) and any observations you may have had moving an individual piece or adding an additional piece. Discussion is welcome as well as measurements [no restrictions]. The point of this thread is to open up the discussion and to show some great examples of the acoustical treatments we have all ran across along our audio journey. If you are a dealer/installer, feel free to post some examples of your client's rooms or commercial projects that turned out acoustically wonderful. This is a no holds barred thread on anything and everything concerning acoustical treatment and the benefits thereof. Let the fun begin!

Tom

Was trying to respond to the general thread... yes, I now see how this looks silly. Facepalm. Forum Newb.

RBFC

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
www.fightingconcepts.com
Nice looking room. It would be more educational if we knew a bit more about the type(s) of acoustic treatment that are installed there, and any measurements, etc. that support the benefits of those treatments!

Lee

RBFC

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
www.fightingconcepts.com
Bill,

Although I'm NOT an expert, trapping bass at that frequency may be best accomplished by having traps across the alcoves' openings. You might even have another trap panel behind those, partway into the alcove, that would use the airspace between the two synergistically.

Another consideration is that the alcoves may/may not be the primary cause of the 30 Hz issue....

Lee

DonH50

Member Sponsor & WBF Technical Expert
Jun 22, 2010
Monument, CO
The alcoves are almost certainly not the 30 Hz issue... What are the dimensions of the room (including alcoves and ceiling height)?

Can you close the doorway at the "rear"? Can you re-orient so "left" is "front" (that is what I would do)?

Ethan Winer

Banned
Jul 8, 2010
New Milford, CT
My thought is to eventually place some bass traps on stands to be able to place into the alcoves when I am listening to music.

There are so many corners in that room, I'm sure attacking all the places other than the alcove will make a huge improvement. But it's easy to assess whether bass traps work well in this place or that by measuring the room's LF response at high resolution as you experiment.

In Wes Lachot's article, Bass Waves in the Control Room, he mentions avoiding deep bass traps just behind the listening couch.

Looking at that article again now, I have to say I disagree with that advice. If you're sitting directly in front of a wall, the absorption behind you should be effective to as low a frequency as possible.

--Ethan

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Nice looking room. It would be more educational if we knew a bit more about the type(s) of acoustic treatment that are installed there, and any measurements, etc. that support the benefits of those treatments!

Lee

Lee,

This would be great! Everyone agrees that some acoustic treatments are of great benefit, and images are nice, but some "objective" data associated with them would be very welcome. ;)

As far as I understand, acoustic measurements are great diagnostic tools, of great importance during the implementation of the room treatments, but are not enough to certificate the final acoustic quality of the room.

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
yeah, home theatre and 2-channel listening rooms are very different listening environments. you wouldn't want to listen to music in that room!

Hello, Bruce and Audioguy! As the OP of this thread, I welcome posts such as the pic's from ASolutions. I will admit, my purpose for creating this thread was intended for two channel but I stated that it is a no holds barred thread and welcomed dealers/installers to post pictures. These can be either for two channel or HT applications, I'll just extract the 2-channel ones for my needs when the time arises :). Just a reminder to everyone, as ASolutions had quoted before [the OP] it does state that commercial installs are welcome.

It looks as if he dropped in in the middle of a conversation but that's OK. We are used to handling multiple conversations at once on the same thread. ;) Below is the original post...

This thread is dedicated for nothing but pictures of installed acoustical treatment and how if affects the reproductive effort. This can be yours, your buddies or something you spotted that you feel would benefit those who may be interested in some acoustical treatment. Feel free to offer your observations before and after the install(s) and any observations you may have had moving an individual piece or adding an additional piece. Discussion is welcome as well as measurements [no restrictions]. The point of this thread is to open up the discussion and to show some great examples of the acoustical treatments we have all ran across along our audio journey. If you are a dealer/installer, feel free to post some examples of your client's rooms or commercial projects that turned out acoustically wonderful. This is a no holds barred thread on anything and everything concerning acoustical treatment and the benefits thereof. Let the fun begin!

The fun has begun and some folks are hopefully learning as the thread progresses. I appreciate all of the posts, questions, answers and pictures so far. Keep 'em coming, please! ;)

Was trying to respond to the general thread... yes, I now see how this looks silly. Facepalm. Forum Newb.

That's quite alright. Welcome to the forum, ASolutions and thank you for the pic's. I do concur with Lee, however, in that it would be more educational if we knew a bit more about the type(s) of acoustic treatment that are installed there, and any measurements, etc. that support the benefits of those treatments! Great looking room!

Tom

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
Can you re-orient so "left" is "front" (that is what I would do)?

I was thinking the same thing, Don. [Rutgar's room] Dimensions would help along with the size and type of speaker.

Tom

Rutgar

Apr 20, 2010
Dallas Area
mysite.verizon.net
To all who asked... The room dimensions are 23' x 16' with a 10' ceiling, sans the alcoves. I have tried the 'long wall' setup. It sounded atrocious. 16' is just too small of a depth for speakers as large as the MMThree's. Like some have suggested, I sort of doubt that the alcoves are causing the 30hz, issue as well. I mainly wanted to see if there was any conventional wisdom regarding such alcoves. The speakers currently are 7.5 feet into the room from the front wall, putting them well past the front alcove as far as any first reflections go.

Ethan, I am concentrating mainly on all of the other corners in the room first, as far as traps go. Mainly because they are the easiest to deal with! I received the last of my Mondo Trap order today. But I'm dead in the water until I get an amplifier back from NY, that is being repaired.

Since this is a picture thread, here are some pics showing the front alcove, and RealTraps in place in the front left corner, and under the screen (sorry about the mess. I'm in a transitional phase!):

Bass 005rs.jpg Bass 006rs.jpg Bass 008rs.jpg Bass 007rs.jpg

Last edited:

Rutgar

Apr 20, 2010
Dallas Area
mysite.verizon.net
^^^ You're on the right track, but don't forget wall-ceiling corners etc. Have you measured the LF response yet?

--Ethan

Yes, I will be addressing those places as well (soon I hope). Ethan, I haven't measured yet due to missing an amplifier. As soon as I get the amp back, I will do some more measuring (I would prefer to be able to compare apples to apples).

JonFo

Jun 11, 2010
Big Canoe, GA
www.jonathanfoulkes.com
OK, you asked for pics of acoustic treatments for audio systems, so here is a series of post with info on my system, which is optimized for multichannel audio, it also does great on HT, but primarily, it is an audio room.

This room was custom designed with optimized dimensions to house my large MartinLogan electrostats in a multichannel config. But over a decade of measuring and treating the room, the system has steadily improved its ability to image incredibly well, and room modes are largely tamed at this time. I still have work to do, and several more steps will be taken, such as adding a second Infinite Baffle sub at the rear of the room.

So let's start off with a picture of the front of the room, showing the two Martin Logan Monoliths flanking my acoustically transparent screen. You can see the front Infinite Baffle sub under/behind the screen, it supports my custom Electrostatic / line-array center speaker, the SL3XC

The side-walls are a custom (I use that word a lot because I design and DIY the heck out everything) acoustical treatment we'll see more of in later posts.

HTStich_sml.jpg

Last edited:

JonFo

Jun 11, 2010
Big Canoe, GA
www.jonathanfoulkes.com
Here is pic of the rear of the room showing the 3D diffusion on the rear wall along with the RealTraps Abfussors behind the rear speakers (ML Sequels). The corners have floor to ceiling stacks of RealTraps Mondos, and TriTrap corner elements in the ceiling/wall junctions.

RearStich3pano_sml.jpg

Last edited:

JonFo

Jun 11, 2010
Big Canoe, GA
www.jonathanfoulkes.com
Since we're primarily focused on Acoustic Treatments, here's a plan view detailing all the elements in the room, as you can see, somewhere around 45 commercial and DIY elements in there.

HTRoom_AcousticTreatmentsPlacement.jpg

JonFo

Jun 11, 2010
Big Canoe, GA
www.jonathanfoulkes.com
The coolest part of the acoustic treatments is my custom sidewall setup, which I designed to provide just the right amount of absorption and reflection to meet my unique needs.

I'm a function over form guy, so while performance was paramount, I also wanted something that would improve the aesthetics of the room as well.

Part of that non-functional look was a reinforcement of the theme embodied in the XStatic name of my theater, which of course features MartinLogan speakers. One of the distinguishing features of the ML’s are their large ESL panels, and since I had just finished repaneling my Monoliths and an SL3, I had some ‘left-over’ panels I could use in the décor efforts.

Therefore, I decided that the front 13.5’ of my front walls would be covered in a combination of acoustic treatment / decorative feature that supports the ML theme.

I have a design and build thread on them at the MartinLogan Forum here.

Here is the design drawing:

JonFo Theater - Sidewall treatments AsBuilt.jpg

And a pic of the finished item:

RightSideTreatments3_sml.jpg

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing