Post a picture of your installed acoustical treatments.

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
This thread is dedicated for nothing but pictures of installed acoustical treatment and how if affects the reproductive effort. This can be yours, your buddies or something you spotted that you feel would benefit those who may be interested in some acoustical treatment. Feel free to offer your observations before and after the install(s) and any observations you may have had moving an individual piece or adding an additional piece. Discussion is welcome as well as measurements [no restrictions]. The point of this thread is to open up the discussion and to show some great examples of the acoustical treatments we have all ran across along our audio journey. If you are a dealer/installer, feel free to post some examples of your client's rooms or commercial projects that turned out acoustically wonderful. This is a no holds barred thread on anything and everything concerning acoustical treatment and the benefits thereof. Let the fun begin!

Tom

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
So where is yours Tom?

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
Hello, Mark. I hold my head down in shame when I tell you that I have none. When my son [Aiden, 3 years old] was born, he needed a room to live in. It was at that point that I had no choice but to give up my dedicated listening room. A bittersweet moment in my life, to say the least. It is a well known fact to those who have heard my system that my weak link is the acoustics of the living room and the complete lack of acoustical treatment. My lovely wife is an interior designer, so one could only imagine the WAF I would have to go through to get any acoustical treatment in the main living area.

The good news is that we are planning on moving sometime in the next couple of years and the one thing she wants me to have once again is a dedicated listening room. Whether I build it from scratch or we choose a house that has a room that would be a great starting point for a dedicated listening room, we are both on the same wavelength in that it will be a major part of choosing the next house. In the meantime, I am absorbing as much as I can with regards to acoustical treatment and threads just like this will help hopefully not only me but others who currently may not have a full treatment or any acoustical treatment at all. As I go through the forum, I will try to extract photos from other threads and add them to this thread, so that folks get as many examples of what others have done in one place. I invite others to do this as well, if they so choose.

Thank you for asking, though.

Tom

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
I have recently posted a video clip of my room which shows my room treatments and gives an auditory glimpse into how my system sounds. I wish more people would do that as I think it's cool to get some kind of idea of what other people are hearing. Pretty much any digital camera takes video clips that you can post to YouTube.

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY

RealTraps mondo bass traps behind speakers and corners. Mini bass traps where front wall and ceiling meets. First reflection treatment using micro traps for sides and ceiling. 3 full range mondo traps on rear wall behing my listening chair (not pictured). It made a dramatic improvement in the overall sound of my system.

Rutgar

Apr 20, 2010
Dallas Area
mysite.verizon.net
I posted one of these pics in the Corner Bass Traps thread. But figured I could re-post it here as well. I am still waiting on some additional Traps, and will update with pics of the entire room when those are available.

These are pictures of 3 RealTraps FAT Mondo Traps, and a bank of RPG Diffractals on my back wall:

RealTraps 004rs.jpg RealTraps 006rs.jpg

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Tom,

This is t the acoustical treatment I built in the front wall of my room when I owned a pair of JBLab Grande Utopia's. Mainly RPG diffractals with a large trap of rock wool along all the edges. I added some flutterfree panels on the side windows close to the speakers. The back of the room is filled with bookshelves with books, LPs and CDs, so there is no acoustical treatments there.

When I moved back to to the SoundLabs some of the side diffractals were replaced with RPG diffusors to absorb the back wave of the Soundlab's.

Attachments

• aa2.jpg
    aa2.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 1,604
  • aa1.jpg
    aa1.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 1,615
  • aa3.jpg
    aa3.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 1,536

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
All ASC front, sides and rear. Done with the help and guidance of Art Noxon. Trying to emulate something similar in my new home

IMG_4591.jpg

http://www.whatsbestforum.com/Steve/Right Corner.jpg

http://www.whatsbestforum.com/Steve/Front of room_lights off.jpg

slowGEEZR

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2010
Colorado Springs, CO
Here's my work in progress. Currently have three GIK 242 panels, two GIK Tri-Traps, two GIK Soffit Traps and two homemade bass traps/reflectors. The homemade jobbies (on top of the Tri-Traps) will be replaced with taller Tri-Traps, that are on order. I'd like to try some diffusers or GIK Art Panels on the front wall, between the speakers. I would like to try some diffusion on the back walls also, but notice that I have a bathroom and a hallway, so I'm not sure where I'd put the panels. Here are the pics. Any comments, suggestions for improvement welcomed.

DSC04752-L.jpg
DSC04753-L.jpg
DSC04754-L.jpg
DSC04755-L.jpg
DSC04757-L.jpg

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Our was a custom designed theater so there is no "before" pictures. What was there before was cinder block front wall, and drop ceiling that was open to the rest of the place. We built one room and then another inside it. The front wall is about 3-4 feet deep (or something like it). The room was designed by Keith Yates. He took advantage of that space to make a custom bass trap from the whole front wall:

You also see two stacks of tube bass traps on each corner. The foam at the bottom was just put in there to make the picture nicer :). They were covering holes for large subwoofers we may put there in the future. The tall speaker arrays are gone now.

Here are the side walls and the ceiling which have a combination of diffusers and again, custom bass traps that Keith designed and we built.

The room is very easy to talk in (i.e. is not too dead), a point that I demonstrate to customers by speaking softly as the movie is playing.

I am working right now on my own theater. Right now there is nothing. Once I have it done -- one of these years :D -- I will post more pictures.

audioguy

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Near Atlanta, GA but not too near!
Front of room: Front two corners are built in corner traps (and rear corners as well). On left and right of screen are RPG BAD Panels and top and bottom of screen are absorptive panels. (The electronic masking system is in place for viewing 16 x 9 material)

Front.jpg

Rear wall are RPG Skylines:

Rear of room.jpg

Front ceiling has suspended GIK Bass Traps. I had a huge (15db) null that I determined was from the floor/ceiling bounce. These traps basically made the ceiling "invisible" and the null was completely eliminated.

Ceiling Trap.jpg

Rear ceiling is a diffuser system built into the ceiling joists and covered with fabric.

CeilingDiffusors.jpg

Front side walls are RPG BAD ARC Panels

RightFront.jpg

Rear half of room on sidewalls are 2 inch GIK Panels. Soffits around the room are all bass traps.

The room is great in some ways, but I still have one issue I have been researching for 4 years. And that is a upper mid-range glare that shows up mostly in female vocals and some horned instruments. Nyal Mellor has agreed to give it a whirl to see if he can isolate the problem but I owe him some measurements.

TheAudioAssociation

Member Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Anaheim Hills, CA
Front ceiling has suspended GIK Bass Traps. I had a huge (15db) null that I determined was from the floor/ceiling bounce. These traps basically made the ceiling "invisible" and the null was completely eliminated.

View attachment 5134

Audioguy..... I can't tell from the picture but where are these panels hung in relation to your front speakers? First ceiling reflection point? etc?

Thanks!

audioguy

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Audioguy..... I can't tell from the picture but where are these panels hung in relation to your front speakers? First ceiling reflection point? etc?

Thanks!

First reflection point absorption panels tend to address mid to high frequency control. This issue was upper bass so there are four panels that are 2 feet wide and four feet long so it covers and area 8 feet wide and 4 feet long which is a significant portion of the front of the room. Had this not completely solved the problem, I would have added two more panels for a 12 foot width. Plus they are hung about 4 inches from the ceiling and are about 4 inches thick. So you get control going through the panel and coming back from the ceiling through the panels. Worked perfect!!

TheAudioAssociation

Member Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Anaheim Hills, CA
First reflection point absorption panels tend to address mid to high frequency control. This issue was upper bass so there are four panels that are 2 feet wide and four feet long so it covers and area 8 feet wide and 4 feet long which is a significant portion of the front of the room. Had this not completely solved the problem, I would have added two more panels for a 12 foot width. Plus they are hung about 4 inches from the ceiling and are about 4 inches thick. So you get control going through the panel and coming back from the ceiling through the panels. Worked perfect!!

Nice! I have a couple of nulls I'd like to get rid of... As I've never used those particular panels I take it that they have the ability to pass the bass waves through the panel onto the ceiling and filter the waves on the way back down? I have some absorption panels but they have a plyboard back so I don't think they would have the same result.

TheAudioAssociation

Member Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Anaheim Hills, CA
Nice! I have a couple of nulls I'd like to get rid of... As I've never used those particular panels I take it that they have the ability to pass the bass waves through the panel onto the ceiling and filter the waves on the way back down? I have some absorption panels but they have a plyboard back so I don't think they would have the same result.

Audioguy..... sorry, should have just did a little research first before posting the above question. I went to the GIK website and figured it out. Thanks!

audioguy

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Nice! I have a couple of nulls I'd like to get rid of...

You will need a measuring system (OmniMic, or XTZ or REW) to determine what surfaces are creating the nulls. In my case, while running sweeps (OmniMic), I moved the mic in all directions horizontally but the null only changed in Q, center point or magnitude but never went away. Only when I moved the mic up and down was I able to figure out where the problem was.

TheAudioAssociation

Member Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Anaheim Hills, CA
You will need a measuring system (OmniMic, or XTZ or REW) to determine what surfaces are creating the nulls. In my case, while running sweeps (OmniMic), I moved the mic in all directions horizontally but the null only changed in Q, center point or magnitude but never went away. Only when I moved the mic up and down was I able to figure out where the problem was.

Got it.... thanks for the info... will have to give it a try with my XTZ to see what is causing the nulls.

Jonathan90

Sep 20, 2010
Toronto
DSC_0119.jpg
The room is a challenging 27’x28’x8’ - the four corners are “superchunked” 34” in width to ceiling - OC 703 was used for chunks/absorbers - absorbers are mostly 2’x4’ varying from 4” to 6” thick - in total there’s 14 absorbers throughout the space - diffusion panels are Auralex T’fussors (cavities are OC 703 filled) and Metro fusors.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing