Playing with some great toys - Comparing 5 phono stages in my home system

dionisofun

Jun 21, 2022

The cartridges and the tonearms of my system were bought directly from them.

I'm actually looking for a Sut that represents a real improvement over the Ear MC4 - whose transformers are also present in my phono stage Ear 88pb. So I would like not to repeat the same sut for my second turntable.

Last edited:

dcc

VIP/Donor
Nov 4, 2012
Continental Europe -
I tested the Copper and Silver versions of the Consolidated Audio SUT in my system. The Silver is way better than the copper one and I ordered a bespoke SUT in silver.

As indicated by Ked/Bonzo75, the new SUT in silver produced by Anamighty Sound is a very compelling offering and plays in the same league as the copper Consolidated SUT. I purchased one for the secondary system.

shakti

May 9, 2015
Cologne, Germany
I tested the Copper and Silver versions of the Consolidated Audio SUT in my system. The Silver is way better than the copper one and I ordered a bespoke SUT in silver.

As indicated by Ked/Bonzo75, the new SUT in silver produced by Anamighty Sound is a very compelling offering and plays in the same league as the copper Consolidated SUT. I purchased one for the secondary system.
Fine, if silver works for you and your gear.

I do not like silver wired components too much, as they some times have a easy recognizable "silver" sound signature.

But in some set ups , silver works fine, from there, everybody needs to try , there is no general preference for the wire material.

Reactions: hairyderriere

dionisofun

Jun 21, 2022
interesting read.
The Phasemation T-1000 (integrated in the EA-1200) and the T-2000 are optimized for 4 to 5 ohm, but will work fine from 1,5ohm to 40 ohm.

So you heard the T-2000 / EA- 2000 in comparison with a very low impedance cart.

I never tried that, will do it soon.

Have you heard the T-2000 connected to the EA-1200? This is my current preferred set up.

In 2 weeks I might have the chance to get the EA-2000 to my home to compare.
Shakti, have you finally heard the T-2000 connected to the Phasemation Ea-1200? How can it be compared to the EA-2000?

shakti

May 9, 2015
Cologne, Germany
Shakti, have you finally heard the T-2000 connected to the Phasemation Ea-1200? How can it be compared to the EA-2000?
I am using the T-2000 now since more than a year on various Phonostages.
The performance increase versus the smaller Phasemation T-1000 step up is huge.
Bigger than moving from T-550 to T-1000.

As the EA-1000 has the T-1000 step up integrated, the performance increase using the T-2000 with EA-1200 is big.

But even with T-2000 the performance will not become close to EA-2000.

I would say, with T-2000 it is possible to make a little more than the half way to EA-2000 performance, which is a big step compared to standard EA-1200 and will give to this combination a good value, as T-1000 step up is embedded.

During the next year (I would assume) Phasemation will launch the optional second PSU box for the EA--1200,
as they did before with EA-1000.

This will become an interesting challenge, as the second PSU was like a turbo charger for EA-1000.

This will close the gap between EA-2000 and EA-1200 even further.

For me EA-2000 performance is the best Phonostage I ever heard, everybody who knows my set up and is visiting me cannot believe, that this sound difference is "only" cased by the change of the Phonostage.

amadeus

VIP/Donor
Jan 13, 2018
I am using the T-2000 now since more than a year on various Phonostages.
The performance increase versus the smaller Phasemation T-1000 step up is huge.
Bigger than moving from T-550 to T-1000.

As the EA-1000 has the T-1000 step up integrated, the performance increase using the T-2000 with EA-1200 is big.

But even with T-2000 the performance will not become close to EA-2000.

I would say, with T-2000 it is possible to make a little more than the half way to EA-2000 performance, which is a big step compared to standard EA-1200 and will give to this combination a good value, as T-1000 step up is embedded.

During the next year (I would assume) Phasemation will launch the optional second PSU box for the EA--1200,
as they did before with EA-1000.

This will become an interesting challenge, as the second PSU was like a turbo charger for EA-1000.

This will close the gap between EA-2000 and EA-1200 even further.

For me EA-2000 performance is the best Phonostage I ever heard, everybody who knows my set up and is visiting me cannot believe, that this sound difference is "only" cased by the change of the Phonostage.
Phasemation already launched the psu Box for the EA 1200 ! Would be great to hear from a user what it does to the sound performance of the EA 1200 when you add this extra psu Box....?

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
Phasemation already launched the psu Box for the EA 1200 ! Would be great to hear from a user what it does to the sound performance of the EA 1200 when you add this extra psu Box....?

I have ordered one. It will be here towards the end of Jan. I too am hoping it will be a nice upgrade in sound.

Last edited:

amadeus

VIP/Donor
Jan 13, 2018
I have ordered one. It will be here towards the end of Jan. I too am hoping it will be a nice upgrade in sound.
Well let us know....

Rotatoubib

May 17, 2015
France
Would be interesting to compare the new Nagra HD pre phono with the EA 2000, don't you think?

shakti

May 9, 2015
Cologne, Germany
Would be interesting to compare the new Nagra HD pre phono with the EA 2000, don't you think?
Sure, there are even some more Phonostages out there with a good reputation, like EMT JPA 66,
but always difficult in Germany to get access to this type of gear.

Last edited:

Rotatoubib

May 17, 2015
France
you mean EMT 128?

dcc

VIP/Donor
Nov 4, 2012
Continental Europe -
Since then I have acquired the EA-2000 with a second pair of T-2000. I have little chance of getting a Nagra HD phono at my place as the local Nagra dealer lost my business many moons ago. Luckily, I have a reputable tech who takes care of my Nagra IVS tape deck.

Reactions: shakti

Rotatoubib

May 17, 2015
France
dcc, did you have a bad experience with your Nagra dealer? I have a Nagra cartridge ( and a Nagra HD pre amp) its why I was thinking that this new Nagra pre phono could be a good match

Reactions: Zeotrope

dcc

VIP/Donor
Nov 4, 2012
Continental Europe -
dcc, did you have a bad experience with your Nagra dealer? I have a Nagra cartridge ( and a Nagra HD pre amp) its why I was thinking that this new Nagra pre phono could be a good match
It was indeed not a great experience but it was not related to Nagra products. He is the sole Nagra dealer in my area.

Rotatoubib

May 17, 2015
France
your experience with Anamighty Sound was very interesting, they seem to be leader about vinyl in your area and mine

shakti

May 9, 2015
Cologne, Germany

Rensselaer

VIP/Donor
Mar 23, 2021
Sure, there are even some more Phonostages out there with a good reputation, like EMT JPA 66,
but always difficult in Germany to get access to this type of gear.
Do you think the Ypsilon VPS100 good enough to compete with the group?

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

I have compared Ypsilon to Allnic 7000 with the KR recti, Ypsilon SUT, and Lyra Atlas. The Ypsilon has slightly more highs, cleaner...Allnic with the rolled over recti has more midbass energy and flow. Given that the 7000 in the used market is much cheaper and you don't lose money trading it in and out, I would get that. But since you already have the Ypsilon, you can stay put. One thing about Allnic though, it is always very emotionally engaging once you get the right valves in.

Last edited:
Reactions: shakti

shakti

May 9, 2015
Cologne, Germany
I have compared Ypsilon to Allnic 7000 with the KFR recti, Ypsilon SUT, and Lyra Atlas. The Ypsilon has slightly more highs, cleaner...Allnic with the rolled over recti has more midbass energy and flow. Given that the 7000 in the used market is much cheaper and you don't lose money trading it in and out, I would get that. But since you already have the Ypsilon, you can stay put. One thing about Allnic though, it is always very emotionally engaging once you get the right valves in.
fully agree to Bonzo

Reactions: bonzo75

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing