Pilium Audio in action-

sonrock

Apr 15, 2013
It's interesting enough when I see the specs of the Hercules and Master Collection monoblocks are pretty similar. It's just the itch now trying something new and I know it's bad.

I totally agree, when you reach a certain level, price may not be the main factor to determine performance. It's down to budget and personal taste as I know some millionaires just want to spend more a more haha, that's why brands keep releasing "new flagship" with higher price tag so they know those people will spend.

Unfortunately, I'm not a millionaire so need to budget wisely and balance between family/commitments and my hobbies. I'm really keen on trying the Hercules and see how they drive the Q5s to its ultimate performance here.

Reactions: Hyperion

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
so need to budget wisely and balance between family/commitments and my hobbies.

I am really interested in understanding when people buy the Hercules, what do they do for the family to restore the balance

sonrock

Apr 15, 2013
I am really interested in understanding when people buy the Hercules, what do they do for the family to restore the balance
My wife would be upset but she will cope, but not to a point that she'll kick me out and sleeping in the back garden Keda :D. She knows me well and is ok with my hobbies. I'm still very much looking after my family, especially my children :)

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
Hercules are no more expensive than CHP, Soulution, Gryphon or any other top SS brand. Actually probably less that comparable mono amps from several other top SS brands.

Run-RMC

Apr 16, 2022
UK

I love my Koda k10 so much that I didn't bother to upgrade to the K15 extreme when comparing them side by side here for a week when the K15 Ex was released and arrived the UK. So not sure if I'll need to let that go and bring the Alexandra pre in to suit with power amp if I ended up taking the Pilium home.

Hi sonrock, I supplied you with your K10. The K10 is a superb preamp but I nearly always prefer same brand pre and power. Will be interested to hear how you get on. R.

Reactions: sonrock

sonrock

Apr 15, 2013
Hi sonrock, I supplied you with your K10. The K10 is a superb preamp but I nearly always prefer same brand pre and power. Will be interested to hear how you get on. R.
Hi Razwan, it's been a long time, hope you're doing well :). I understand your philosophy of matching pre-pow from the same brand for synergy and avoiding any technical issues. However, when paring different brands together, it's good fun too and in many occasions, the result is just simply fantastic especially between a tube pre and ss power.

The K10 is too good and it provides something really special and magical with "tube sound" but instead it's a ss pre. That's why I don't bother changing it, however it'd be interesting to see how the Alexander sounds compare to the Koda.

The current economic conditions are not good at the moment, and I'm not sure how much more we'll need to top up when building the extension after receiving the approval from city council compared to last year costs. Some few quotes I received from builders are just eye-watering...

Reactions: Run-RMC

Bobvin

VIP/Donor
Jun 7, 2014
Portland
www.purewatersystems.com
Will Philum Dac or amp turn up at Pacific Audiofest?
Pilium Alexander pre-amp, Achilles power-amp, driving Alsyvox Botticelli X speakers. Pilium has been constrained by the chip shortage from building the DAC they had just released before the fire @ the chip factory. They have a new DAC (w separate power supply) in development not likely ready for a debut at Pacific Audiofest… (but maybe!)

In the “Rhapsody Out West” room.

Reactions: thomask

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I agree Son, I play the guitar regularly and NO audio system imho is as enjoyable as when you play guitar or any instrument. BUT listening to music and playing music are two different experiences. I enjoy both.

Koda makes great equipment. That's a tough one as I have no idea nor do I believe anyone would have an idea how a Koda pre and a Pilium amp would sound. The only way to know would be to try it. Other than that, it's a crapshoot.

It would be great if you could compare the Alexander and the Koda with a Pilium amp, not sure if that is possible for you.

Btw, Q5's are hard to drive speakers. The Hercules would in this case give better overall sound vs an Achilles, but the Achilles/Alexader WOULD drive the Q5s as well, but you would notice an overall sonic uptick by listening with a pair of Hercules on the Q5s.
Fascinating discussion about Robert Koda as someone new to the sound. Additionally, first port of call was the K15EX with the super ground module and a Gryphon Mephisto which has since gone on to Robert Koda K160 monos.

The K15EX with Gryphon Mephisto was really quite a special combination. That foundational image density of the Gryphon was always there, but now with a newfound purity, clarity and ease that came from the Robert Koda...superbly quiet, low noise floor and a purity of signal that the Gryphon amplified well.

thomask

Dec 9, 2018
Washington State, US
Pilium Alexander pre-amp, Achilles power-amp, driving Alsyvox Botticelli X speakers. Pilium has been constrained by the chip shortage from building the DAC they had just released before the fire @ the chip factory. They have a new DAC (w separate power supply) in development not likely ready for a debut at Pacific Audiofest… (but maybe!)

In the “Rhapsody Out West” room.

Somehow I can not see "Rhapsody" in the list.

I am anxious to listen to Asylvox which I had not listened before.

I had used Apogee Duetta Sig from 1990 to 1999.

Bobvin

VIP/Donor
Jun 7, 2014
Portland
www.purewatersystems.com

Somehow I can not see "Rhapsody" in the list.

I am anxious to listen to Asylvox which I had not listened before.

I had used Apogee Duetta Sig from 1990 to 1999.
The exhibitor list seldom represents all the brands and exhibitors until closer to the show date. I forget the room I booked for Rhapsody but we’ll be there.

Reactions: thomask

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
Get to know Konstantinos Pilios, the founder/owner of Pilium Audio, Athens Greece who has been interviewed by Jeff Fritz at Soundstage! Talks.

sonrock

Apr 15, 2013
Is there anyone know about the potential retail price of Zeus monoblocks and new flagship Olympus preamp? When they become available?

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
Is there anyone know about the potential retail price of Zeus monoblocks and new flagship Olympus preamp? When they become available?
Pricing will be different in different regions of the world. Where are you located? Best to ask your local distributor.

sonrock

Apr 15, 2013
I’m in the UK Sir but it’s great to know the global price possible :), at least with fx equivalence

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
I’m in the UK Sir but it’s great to know the global price possible :), at least with fx equivalence
Pricing is going to be different as I said in the different regions. The pricing for the mentioned items has not been set at this moment.

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
Pricing is going to be different as I said in the different regions. The pricing for the mentioned items has not been set at this moment.
Sonrock, we are close enough regarding Zeus, Olympus and even Venus price setting that if you really would like a firm answer/price you would probably be able to get the information from the UK Pilium distributor.

defride

VIP/Donor
Mar 28, 2013
Dave's your man in the UK here -

Price list here -

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
Dave's your man in the UK here -

Price list here -

As stated Dave in the UK is the authorized Pilium dealer in the UK. ( contact information below )

Pilium has no affiliation with Nintronics and Nintronics cannot sell Pilium, not sure why they have the Pilium prices listed on their site.

United KingdomMr. Paul Benge and Mr. Dave Wood
Company: HIFIGUY
Address: 18 Grosvenor Crescent, St Leonards on Sea, TN380AA
Email: paul@hifitraders
Email: dave@hifiguy.co.uk
Phone: Paul +44 7842126218
Phone: Dave +44 7344436180

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing