Pilium Audio in action-

gian60

Apr 17, 2016
I listened Pilium first time in Munich,cannot understand his sound with few listening but i can tell that Cheap Magico speaker with Pilium sound much better that expensive Magico with Soulution
I liked Pilium

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Would be interesting to use the same Pilium combo to drive M6. Would be heaven.

For heaven you need to buy Andromeda design speakers .

But i think pilium is indeed a much better combo , to be honest i cant imagine a speaker which would sound good with soulution anyway , i m not a fan .
I think Octave or CAT is also a great match for Magico and if they re not a difficult load id say Zanden also

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
Hi Caeser,

Thx, somehow I think they find me:) Although I am closely connected (non-WBF) with a LOT of audio guys around the globe.

The Pilium somehow, just sounds more "liquid" to me than all the other SS brands that I have heard over the years, which includes pretty much all of the big names. Pilium is very fast and clear, with great transparency but with a LOT of texture. I think all the big names sound REALLY great at this point, they have all come a long way. I think I could live with any of them and make great music.

Foe me personally Pilium also transcends the need for tubes. That's just me, others will still want a tube system, I don't feel the need any longer personally. But I get it, tubes do their own thing.

The Pilium I have found is even preferred on my 99db Diesis Roma Triode by many visitors. Something about the liquidity again. The Pilium does it all, great power and authority (driver control), great resolution, incredible sound-staging/layering, but all the other brands do that too. The Pilium brings a life, vibrancy and energy with to the presentation that again, for me, is quite satisfying vs others that I have heard.

I also love that it runs very cool to the touch, the only downside is the 280lb weight of the amps.

I realize it's not just me as I've sold I think five full sets of Alexander/Achilles and a two Leonidas (275lb integrated) within the last three months.

My problem is I cannot keep any of the items in stock for my demos. Every time I have received a piece(s) and someone has heard it they want it and they want it now. I have a Leonidas coming within a month and I just received the Elektra dac so that's what I will have for the next few months.

I've mentioned it in another post but I am sending out the Elektra Dac/Alexander pre/4 each Hercules mono amps in September to break in on Alon's M9s as my pair of M9s will not get delivered until Q1 of '21. This set up is for my M9s, but if I was a betting man then I would predict someone will hear the Pilium>>M9s with all Statement TelluriumQ cables and buy the whole system. Then I will have to order it all again. First world problems:)
"Foe me personally Pilium also transcends the need for tubes. That's just me, others will still want a tube system, I don't feel the need any longer personally. But I get it, tubes do their own thing."

For me, not really...

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
"Foe me personally Pilium also transcends the need for tubes. That's just me, others will still want a tube system, I don't feel the need any longer personally. But I get it, tubes do their own thing."

For me, not really...
What do i read now .......???
You constantly praise SET s , plus you re a dealer / importer for tubes.
It makes no business sense this comment , lol

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
For me = IMO...got a problem with that?

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
BTW. there were a number of non-SET amps that I found much better than anything pure SS... to name two: TotalDAC amp and Ypsilon Phaeton. There was also an integrated in the Cessaro room that was a hybrid (Alieo or something or other). Finally, the hybrids in the Goebel room from True Life Audio (TLA) were quite good.

bazelio

Sep 26, 2016
California
Surprised about what?? That quote was from Bob at Rhapsody, not mine...
Maybe he was surprised to see one dealer (you) wandering into another dealer's thread to opine on the other dealer's gear. Many would say that's tacky.

Last edited:

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
Maybe he was surprised to see one dealer (you) wandering into another dealer's thread to opine on the other dealer's gear. Many would say that's tacky.
So, I am not supposed to comment on any other gear except what I sell?? C’mon man! Most Dealers change gear brands all the time and carry a wide range that covers wide sound quality variability. I sell one brand because I have a sound philosophy that I follow and that gear fits it.

bazelio

Sep 26, 2016
California
I haven't told you what to do. As to what I'd prefer, I'd no sooner like to see Rhapsody talking down your preferred products in your threads than you doing so in his. There's a time and a place. Others seem to agree.

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
I haven't told you what to do. As to what I'd prefer, I'd no sooner like to see Rhapsody talking down your preferred products in your threads than you doing so in his. There's a time and a place. Others seem to agree.
Thank you Bazello, it's fine, most people see right through it when dealer's come into other dealer's product threads and bash. It seems par for the course for some dealers. It is just the way they choose to present themselves to the public. It is what it is.

Audiocrack

Aug 10, 2012
Hi Bob,

We talked in the past about what why we both like/love Kondo amplification or ‘the Kondo sound’. For me to sum it up in one word: purity. How does Pilium compares in that regard to Kondo in your view? Is the Pilium’s solid state sound as pure/non-mechanical as the single ended or push pull tube sound of Kondo in your view?

Reactions: TDX

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing