Pass xa25

bazelio

Sep 26, 2016
California
I've heard both. If bass is what you seek, the 30.8 will deliver. I found it to be overkill in the bass department, actually. It slammed hard, all the time, with all content. This may work fine in other environments, but I had to look elsewhere. Despite only being 30W (60 in my case with 4 Ohm speakers), the 30.8 felt too powerful for my smallish room. The opposite of relaxing. Very insistent is how I'd describe it. So, I agree that 30.8 and XA25 are different animals entirely.

jahatl513

Jan 1, 2019
Atlanta, Ga
Bazelio: I should say the XA25 has bass in such a refined controlled way just as it has the same refined mids, highs and all around control with delicate and detailed sound that far exceeds the 30.8. So, I don’t want bass in the sense that I lose the other natures of this amp that make it one of the most special amps out there. I have a 18 x 16 room; small by my book and it drives the Wilson Sophia II’s with such authority and control that I smile each time I listen.

Reactions: bazelio and John57

John57

Sep 29, 2015
Melbourne, Australia
Bazelio: I should say the XA25 has bass in such a refined controlled way just as it has the same refined mids, highs and all around control with delicate and detailed sound that far exceeds the 30.8. So, I don’t want bass in the sense that I lose the other natures of this amp that make it one of the most special amps out there. I have a 18 x 16 room; small by my book and it drives the Wilson Sophia II’s with such authority and control that I smile each time I listen.
Yes it seems to reward near field listening.

jahatl513

Jan 1, 2019
Atlanta, Ga
Has anyone here had the opportunity to compare the XA60.8 mono's or would you comment on them with respect to the 25 and 30.8's as we've discussed?

passfreak

Sep 24, 2018
Has anyone here had the opportunity to compare the XA60.8 mono's or would you comment on them with respect to the 25 and 30.8's as we've discussed?
I wanted a system of high quality but simple and easy for me to move. So I disposed of my 60.8 and ordered an xa25. Health issues has kind of brought me to reality. I just cannot lift the 60.8. I Will be using an sp22 as my pre. I acknowledge this is likely my final big purchase of hifi.

jahatl513

Jan 1, 2019
Atlanta, Ga
I wanted a system of high quality but simple and easy for me to move. So I disposed of my 60.8 and ordered an xa25. Health issues has kind of brought me to reality. I just cannot lift the 60.8. I Will be using an sp22 as my pre. I acknowledge this is likely my final big purchase of hifi.
So,.... I have an XA25; you've not heard it yet. Please comment on what you have heard and your experience with the 60.8 you had and did you use a XP22 pre with that as well? What is the details in your story?

passfreak

Sep 24, 2018
So,.... I have an XA25; you've not heard it yet. Please comment on what you have heard and your experience with the 60.8 you had and did you use a XP22 pre with that as well? What is the details in your story?
I did not hear the 60.8 and the pre is new. I concede the xa25 Will likely not measure up to the 60.8 but I have chosen this route for reasons I mentioned.

jahatl513

Jan 1, 2019
Atlanta, Ga
As an XA25 w/ XP22 owner. Let it burn in. I'm at about 200 hours on the XA and 50 on the XP22. It extremely pleasing. I still smile every time I turn it on and warm it up. The sound is synergistic

passfreak

Sep 24, 2018
As an XA25 w/ XP22 owner. Let it burn in. I'm at about 200 hours on the XA and 50 on the XP22. It extremely pleasing. I still smile every time I turn it on and warm it up. The sound is synergistic
That's great to hear jahatl....tell me what interconnect are you using between pre and power?

bazelio

Sep 26, 2016
California

I'd describe the 30.8 as somewhat V shaped. Bass is the first thing you notice. Treble presence and air second. And the midrange seemed something of an after thought. The XA25 is more cohesive. It doesn't match the 30.8 at its strengths, but it's a more well-rounded sound. Addition by subtraction almost, as it backs off a bit from the hard slam of the 30.8.

jahatl513

Jan 1, 2019
Atlanta, Ga
That's great to hear jahatl....tell me what interconnect are you using between pre and power?
I'm using Cardas for interconnect. I'll check the exact version and get back with you. One thing about the XA25 is it handles power hungry speakers well. I find the XP22 to be very open compared to the XP20 which seemed nice but compressed in sound stage. 22 is more holographic and reminds me at times of a more; much much more refined XP10 which I appreciated very much for that reason.

KostasP.

May 6, 2016
Melbourne
I'd describe the 30.8 as somewhat V shaped. Bass is the first thing you notice. Treble presence and air second. And the midrange seemed something of an after thought. The XA25 is more cohesive. It doesn't match the 30.8 at its strengths, but it's a more well-rounded sound. Addition by subtraction almost, as it backs off a bit from the hard slam of the 30.8.

Apologies for my tone but your comments warrant another perspective. This is a very simplistic and elusive description of the XA 30.8 and it really casts a shadow on your judgement.

In my experience, these comments actually offend the truth. I chose the XA 30.8 out of nine amplifiers - tube and solid state - to drive the Martin Logan CLXs matched to a dedicated Leben line stage.This amplifier is tonally balanced and cohesive in my context and I am not a fledgling, by the way.

Be well and cheers, Kostas.

jahatl513

Jan 1, 2019
Atlanta, Ga
Apologies for my tone but your comments warrant another perspective. This is a very simplistic and elusive description of the XA 30.8 and it really casts a shadow on your judgement.

In my experience, these comments actually offend the truth. I chose the XA 30.8 out of nine amplifiers - tube and solid state - to drive the Martin Logan CLXs matched to a dedicated Leben line stage.This amplifier is tonally balanced and cohesive in my context and I am not a fledgling, by the way.

It'd be nice to find a constructive way to put someone in their place. If you don't agree with Bazelio, then your opinion is such, but you just killed the thread.

bazelio

Sep 26, 2016
California

LOL you're calling me a liar? I stand by my impression 100%. I had the 30.8 in home for two weeks and became familiar with it in that time. It certainly sounded more balanced with a tube phono stage, than a solid state phono stage. But either way, it unmistakably exhibited the traits I described and was not a keeper for me.

Dante Choi

Feb 26, 2016
Buenos Aires,, Argentina
Just want to share my experience with XA-25. I have one pair of Tannoy Autograph with Silver Monitors. Usually, I am using Allnic A-8000 (KR T-1610 SE Configuration with 50W/Ch) and Allnic Pre Amp L-8000. Last week I used XA-25 and I can say that the combination with vintage Tannoy was amazing. Speed, deep, control, refinement, was so impressed with this small and compact amp, I am planning to purchase one. Sometimes I feel that 50W/Ch of Allnic is overpowered for Tannoy Silver Monitors of 16 ohms. The XA-25 was a great combination and it can compensate for Tannoy failures.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing