Pass xa25

Jan 8, 2012
Virginia Beach
Who here has heard this newer Pass amp? Starting to get some great reviews.
I’ve had one paired with Avantgarde Uno XD’s for 6 weeks now. It does not present the same SET midrange but makes up for it with soundstage, speed etc. very non fatiguing at all volume levels. It’s a keeper. Worth noting my speakers are 107bd into 18ohm load so not much juice required.

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
Heard one at CAS last year. I liked it, but not an extensive audition. I also liked the XA30.8, but they were close considering different speakers and show conditions. Based on topology, I would probably go with the XA25. It uses a single pair of hockey puck MOSFET per channel, a clean configuration.

I have a First Watt M2, and a VFET based on the Nelson Pass DIY design given gratis to the DIY community. Of all of them, the VFET is nominally the "best" and is in the tier of the best amplifiers I have heard. The XA25 is a true power doubling amp down to 2 ohms, and I would imagine could drive most reasonably efficient speakers.

I have not heard the more powerful Pass amps at shows that I liked that much, I think the lower power ones and First Watt are the best sounding. One exception was the huge Pass VFET commemorative amp, based on banks of Sony VFETS, that I liked very much.

medwardo

Nov 21, 2016
Seattle area
I've had an XA25 since ~July, driving Wilson Sophia 3s. The Sophias are pretty easy to drive and I've not found any lack in power from the Pass. Broad range of music at moderate volumes usually. Currently running a CJ ET5 preamp.

Just prior I had a few CJ SS (250/ch) and tube (120/ch) amps.

What I love about the little Pass is the clarity, richness/complexity of tone/timbre, as well as more defined bass than the CJs. The Pass makes the CJ amps sound distant, imprecise, and mellow.

XA25 midrange is clean and pure and very, very present, tho' not as voluptuous as the CJs. Some might say that the Pass midrange is emphasized. Treble is very, very clear with lots of detail (more than the CJs) with an emphasis on the attack of the notes, while the CJs were better on the decays I think (some would call those decays "slow").

Bass is more tuneful than the CJs (easier to hear individual notes and different types of bass/strings/finger technique) with better extension. I had no idea the Sophias could produce that much bass for such small(ish) cabinets.

In addition to all of this, the Pass makes the Sophias disappear entirely and provides a detailed, lovely 3D soundstage...a trick that the CJs couldn't do as well. Also, the Pass pulls off the spooky voices in the room (e.g., sounds like real people are talking) that the CJs could not.

IMO, the XA25 is a great value, sounds great to my ears, and fits my limited space. Highly recommended.

Sep 29, 2015
Saudi Arabia
I've had an XA25 since ~July, driving Wilson Sophia 3s. The Sophias are pretty easy to drive and I've not found any lack in power from the Pass. Broad range of music at moderate volumes usually. Currently running a CJ ET5 preamp.

Just prior I had a few CJ SS (250/ch) and tube (120/ch) amps.

What I love about the little Pass is the clarity, richness/complexity of tone/timbre, as well as more defined bass than the CJs. The Pass makes the CJ amps sound distant, imprecise, and mellow.

XA25 midrange is clean and pure and very, very present, tho' not as voluptuous as the CJs. Some might say that the Pass midrange is emphasized. Treble is very, very clear with lots of detail (more than the CJs) with an emphasis on the attack of the notes, while the CJs were better on the decays I think (some would call those decays "slow").

Bass is more tuneful than the CJs (easier to hear individual notes and different types of bass/strings/finger technique) with better extension. I had no idea the Sophias could produce that much bass for such small(ish) cabinets.

In addition to all of this, the Pass makes the Sophias disappear entirely and provides a detailed, lovely 3D soundstage...a trick that the CJs couldn't do as well. Also, the Pass pulls off the spooky voices in the room (e.g., sounds like real people are talking) that the CJs could not.

IMO, the XA25 is a great value, sounds great to my ears, and fits my limited space. Highly recommended.
I’ve had my XA25 about the same time.
I’d have to agree with the commentary here. Currently fed by an upgraded PerfectWave DAC directly into PMC Twenty26 and an IDEA Danish subwoofer.
It had too much power despite only 25W rating for the PMC at 86dB/8Ohm.
”The XA25 is a pure Class A design that only uses two transistors per channel, yet it delivers 25 watts RMS at eight ohms and 50 watts RMS at four ohms. However, it can deliver peak current of 10 amp output (200 watt A/B peak into two ohms)” until I added the sub in parallel.
The XA25 delivers a clean clear upper register; in the room vocals and strong bass producer. It’s an amazing value accurate amp. A constant surprise audio experience.

Attachments

Apr 15, 2017
Cascais
The correct phrase should have been: "The XA25 is a pure Class A design that only uses two OUTPUT transistors per channel" as there are 6 more transistors for each channel.

Perhaps nitpicking but quotes from reviewers should best be described as such.

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. A place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss existing and new audio products, music servers, music streamers and computer audio, digital to audio convertors (DACS), turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel to reel, speakers, headphones, tube amplifiers and solid state amplification. Founded in 2010 What's Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing