Outstanding Sound Improvement with Videos before-after/ VYDA Cables

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
This is where the videos superimposed on the owners own written impressions, add value. If the owner is telling us that the videos are representative of what he hears from his system live, then we should take him at his word.

if we can hear a difference through the videos when there is only one variable changed, we should be able to conclude even though these videos do not sound the same as his system live, the difference heard in the videos is reflective of the impact the new component has on the overall system sound.

I think, in some rare instances, the videos can be more demonstrative of the change in one’s system than the written description.

I must say that I am astonished that the simple change of one power cord is so clearly heard through these videos. I heard dramatic system sound changes by replacing power cords in my own system but never tried recording the comparison and I am surprised the iPhone picked this up so clearly.

The interesting thing is how different listeners respond differently to the same affect. Some will prefer the change while others will not. These videos can often stimulate discussion.

Last edited:

Vienna

VIP/Donor
Peter, I think that the second bunch of cables that I am expecting, will be more important than the first set, due to the fact that among these cables there is one with 20A IEC plug, that will feed my Torus which is then powering all the equipment.

stehno

Jul 5, 2014
Salem, OR
I was always very sceptical about cables, almost a no believer. Partly because their effect is very subjective and not measurable, but also due to the fact that in the past ,I had paid alot for getting cables with questionable effect.

Some weeks ago Gianluigi (@gian60 ) wrote me about the VYDA cables and introduced me to his friend and manufacturer, Enrico Datti.
I spoke with Enrico the same day, who proposed to send me his cables for auditioning. In case that I would like them I would keep them, otherwise I would send them back.

The first thing that everyone will notice with the VYDA cables, is their outstanding beauty, their metal details and the apparent construction quality.

Their effect on the sound is imediate and literally I fell backwards as the huge sound stage burst on me and filled my room. These cables are yielding unbelievable dynamics, resolution, clarity and deep (really deep) bass. Highs and Lows opened up and the spatial (3D) feeling reached unthinkable levels.

Some time ago I had uploaded a video at the percussion thread; and I thought that it would be a definately good idea to make a new video of the same track with the same equipment and the new cables, I am leaving these videos with you, to hear the difference between my old cables (Wireworld Platinum 7 power cables, VOVOX Fortis XLR and Tidal Reference Silver Speakers cables) and the new setup (VYDA Orion Power, VYDA Orion SIlver XLR and Tidal Reference Silver speakers' cables)

Video #1 (Wireworld, Vovox, Tidal Speakers Cables):

Video #2 (Vyda Power, VYDA XLR and Tidal Speakers Cables):

I had never expected that the cables would make such a sound improvement, thank you Gianluigi (@gian60) for the introduction

That's a rather significant and surprising improvement. Ok, so I can cross Wireworld and Vovox cables off my list. :)

Thanks for the in-room demo. Many think in-room videos have no value but maybe this comparison will help sway them. Assuming of course they can hear the difference.

Reactions: Vienna

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
Peter, I think that the second bunch of cables that I am expecting, will be more important than the first set, due to the fact that among these cables there is one with 20A IEC plug, that will feed my Torus which is then powering all the equipment.

I'm not that familiar with transformer based active power conditioners. Are you using the Torus to resolve electricity delivery issues, to reduce noise, or as a power distributor?

Is you current Vyda power cord coming off the Torus to a component? Then you will add another 20A Vyda to feed the Torus. Once the Torus is powered by the Vyda, would you try a stock cord to feed the component? I'm curious about what the before and after power cords do in relation to what the Torus does. Not being sceptical, just curious about the role or effect each brings and then how their combination changes the sound.

It is interesting that signor Datti makes the entire cable including the connectors and that he offers a single line, Orion, rather than the typical good, better, best lineup. As if saying "Here is my best effort, no point to making less."

There is a Mono & Stereo review of the Vyda RCA interconnects.

Reactions: Vienna and marmota

Vienna

VIP/Donor
I'm not that familiar with transformer based active power conditioners. Are you using the Torus to resolve electricity delivery issues, to reduce noise, or as a power distributor?

Is you current Vyda power cord coming off the Torus to a component? Then you will add another 20A Vyda to feed the Torus. Once the Torus is powered by the Vyda, would you try a stock cord to feed the component? I'm curious about what the before and after power cords do in relation to what the Torus does. Not being sceptical, just curious about the role or effect each brings and then how their combination changes the sound.

It is interesting that signor Datti makes the entire cable including the connectors and that he offers a single line, Orion, rather than the typical good, better, best lineup. As if saying "Here is my best effort, no point to making less."

There is a Mono & Stereo review of the Vyda RCA interconnects.
Dear Tim,

On my Torus 16 AVR, I have connected my Mephisto power Amp, my Pandora pre amp and my Legato Phono. My Torus serves as an effective mean to reduce noise and as a power distributor too.

Since every Gryphon component is powered through two power cables, I had asked Enrico to send me for demo two power cables and two pairs of Balanced ICs.

For convenience during the demo period, the VYDA power cables were installed from Torus to the Mephisto and the the ICs from Phono to Preamp and from Pre amp to Power Amp.

I am waiting for the rest VYDA cables to replace the rest of the WW Platinum 7 on the Torus (one PC with 20A IEC) , my preamp (two PCs) and phono (two PCs)

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
If you like the sound from a new cable. It is best buying just that particular one only. Additional ones after that are just impulse buying after the adrenaline rush of the first one. What more exactly do you want after the first one. Having more more of something is not always good except for clarity.

Reactions: Forte and Vienna

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
If you like the sound from a new cable. It is best buying just that particular one only. Additional ones after that are just impulse buying after the adrenaline rush of the first one. What more exactly do you want after the first one. Having more more of something is not always good except for clarity.

Tango, I think you have identified a very important topic here. The vital thing in my experience is to be clear about and fully understand how the cable or power cord is affecting the sound. If the item is coloring the sound in a pleasing way, one might well overdo it if he suddenly adds multiple items at the same time. However, if the new cable or cord is in fact removing colorations, distortions and increasing the transparency of the system, AND THE OWNER LIKES THIS EFFECT, then he will do no harm by adding more.

I think you are implying that it is about balance. You do not want to go too far in one direction to tip the balance beyond the goal. In my case, I heard the effect of replacing one of my power cords and understood how the sound changed. This met my goal of a more natural presentation. The cords were inexpensive enough that I tried more and ended up with five in my system. Colorations were reduced, and clarity was increased. Others may well have moved in a different direction.

Reactions: Klonk

marmota

Feb 3, 2016
Tango, I think you have identified a very important topic here. The vital thing in my experience is to be clear about and fully understand how the cable or power cord is affecting the sound. If the item is coloring the sound in a pleasing way, one might well overdo it if he suddenly adds multiple items at the same time. However, if the new cable or cord is in fact removing colorations, distortions and increasing the transparency of the system, AND THE OWNER LIKES THIS EFFECT, then he will do no harm by adding more.

I think you are implying that it is about balance. You do not want to go too far in one direction to tip the balance beyond the goal. In my case, I heard the effect of replacing one of my power cords and understood how the sound changed. This met my goal of a more natural presentation. The cords were inexpensive enough that I tried more and ended up with five in my system. Colorations were reduced, and clarity was increased. Others may well have moved in a different direction.

To add complexity to the dilemma:
How many cable looms are designed with a "complimentary" sound nature instead of all cables having the same sound?
To get all the cables sounding exactly the same would require the use of the same materials, connectors and probably geometry for the entire cable loom. How many brands do this? 2 or 3 at most. Vyda cables may be one of them, looking at their construction and materials reveals consistency.
Now, look at cable looms by most manufacturers...to put an example: Furutech rhodium connector for the XLR cable, WBT platinum for the RCA, Oyaide for the power cord...obviously, those cables don't sound the same even if they come from the same hipothetic manufacturer, and they are meant to compliment their weakness and strenghts when used together.

I think that the closest way to know how a cable sounds is to use a custom double sided connector between components and compare it vs a cable. And even this is not at all conclusive, as it will reveal the sound of the metal and materials the custom connector is made of, changing them would yield different results and would reset the comparison. Using the same materials as the cable's connector for this custom connector will reveal the sound of the conductors...but not of the entire cable.

TL;DR: very deep hole to dig, and very difficult to draw accurate, consistent conclusions. The most sane, simple way may be to buy a full loom of one manufacturer (one that is consistent across the entire range) and play a bit with system's setup to optimize for the sound of that cable loom.

Last edited:

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
I'm not that familiar with transformer based active power conditioners. Are you using the Torus to resolve electricity delivery issues, to reduce noise, or as a power distributor? (...)

The Torus is a very interesting power transformer - it uses an extra secondary winding loaded with tuned devices to suppress noise energy from the mains. If I would need a power conditioner this would be the one I would consider.

Power conditioner action is really hard to analyze - first we have to consider the individual mains quality - very few people have proper information on their mains quality - and then we have to consider the equipment.

Reactions: Vienna

Vienna

VIP/Donor
Gentlemen I am assuring you that you will have individual videos for every cable that it will be inserted. I am planning to add first and record/listen the cables of the phono, I will then move to pre amp and finally to the main at my Torus.

Vienna

VIP/Donor
The Torus is a very interesting power transformer - it uses an extra secondary winding loaded with tuned devices to suppress noise energy from the mains. If I would need a power conditioner this would be the one I would consider.

Power conditioner action is really hard to analyze - first we have to consider the individual mains quality - very few people have proper information on their mains quality - and then we have to consider the equipment.
By using a noise detector (photo below ) I was measuring 1300 mVp, with Torus the measured noise fell to 45 mVp

Attachments

• AF551EA0-2AF9-4BB0-8BB5-81BE7E3ADA62.jpeg
    AF551EA0-2AF9-4BB0-8BB5-81BE7E3ADA62.jpeg
    10.8 KB · Views: 12

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
There is no way the recordings were made under the same exact recording conditions. These are obviously very different between the videos, and much better in the newer videos. Has little to do with a cable change. The differences are just far too big.
Precisely

Vienna

VIP/Donor
Al and Ack, as I wrote earlier you can get the cables for a demo with no cost for you Or any sort of commitment . As soon as you will do it then you will see whether i am wrong or right.

Take a leap of faith and try them, you have nothing to lose. Enrico is very confident for them and will send for auditioning without any commitment from the prospective buyer

Reactions: marmota

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
There is no way the recordings were made under the same exact recording conditions. These are obviously very different between the videos, and much better in the newer videos. Has little to do with a cable change. The differences are just far too big.
Apparently the phone positions, from which the recordings were made, are at least slightly different. This could make a large difference in the recorded outcome.
Precisely

To my Boston Group audio buddies Al M. and Ack:

We have disagreed consistently and vehemently in our private discussions about the validity and purpose of these system videos. You both claim they have no purpose, no value, and should never be used to judge the sound of one's system. Al at least thinks there may be some value when there is a direct comparison being made as there is here, but basically, and I quote you, you think such videos "suck".

I get that and you are free to have your opinions. That is all fine. However, the hypocrisy is quite something when you come onto someone else's thread and then do the very thing you claim people should not do: you are judging his system by listening and watching his videos. You then share your opinions about the videos publicly on a forum thread. You even now claim that what Vienna tells us about the nature of this direct comparison and the conditions under which the videos were recorded is false - that there is some unknown additional difference behind the videos that must explain the huge difference, that switching just one power cord can not possibly account for the difference in the two videos.

I have heard dramatic differences in my own system by changing one power cord. I have experienced something similar to what I hear from Vienna's videos, so I know it is possible. I moved away from such cords for my own reasons.

Vienna is a valued member of our audio fraternity here at WBF. He is willing to share his opinions with the forum. We should have the respect to take him at his word and trust that he is describing things accurately. If you do not place value on these types of videos, you should simply not watch them. Frankly, I am very surprised that you would comment given your vehement criticisms of such videos.

I do not understand how on the one hand you can say these videos have no validity and claim they should not be judged for their sound quality, and then do exactly that, and judge their sonics, plus insult the author of the videos by publicly accusing him of not being truthful about how he made the videos.

@Vienna is showing patience and restraint here. I respect and commend him for that. I am surprised that you do not give him the same respect.

Last edited:

Kingsrule

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2011
VYDA Labs website has been down for days Are they still in business?

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Al and Ack, as I wrote earlier you can get the cables for a demo with no cost for you Or any sort of commitment . As soon as you will do it then you will see whether i am wrong or right.

Take a leap of faith and try them, you have nothing to lose. Enrico is very confident for them and will send for auditioning without any commitment from the prospective buyer
We focused on the relative differences of the sound, as you intended to point out. These videos, however mediocre they may be, show significant relative differences that are hard to believe they are attributable just to the cables, therefore, they do not necessarily incite interest to try them. That's all. I do believe you hear improvements, but it's hard to believe they are as dramatic; in fact, one is more inclined to think your old cables were really bad, than the new ones being really extra-ordinary (my characterization), and at the same time, it's hard to believe that the recording conditions were the same. But that's just me. Basically, all the more reason to think that all such videos are not offering anything of substance.

Reactions: Al M.

geopolitis

Apr 6, 2016
A system of such calibre deserves much better power cables than Wireword. That becomes even more obvious after someone watches the videos above....

Reactions: kmyl

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
To my Boston Group audio buddies Al M. and Ack:

We have disagreed consistently and vehemently in our private discussions about the validity and purpose of these system videos. You both claim they have no purpose, no value, and should never be used to judge the sound of one's system. Al at least thinks there may be some value when there is a direct comparison being made, but basically, and I quote you, you think such videos "suck".

I get that and you are free to have your opinions. That is all fine. However, the hypocrisy is quite something when you come onto someone else's thread and then do the very thing you claim people should not do: you are judging his system by listening and watching his videos. You then share your opinions about the videos publicly and a forum thread. You even now claim that what Vienna tells us about the nature of this direct comparison and the conditions under which the videos were recorded is false - that there is some unknown additional difference behind the videos that must explain the huge difference, that switching just one power cord can not possibly account for the difference in the two videos.

I have heard dramatic differences in my own system by changing one power cord. I have experienced something similar to what I hear from Vienna's videos, so I know it is possible. I moved away from such cords for my own reasons.

Vienna is a valued member of our audio fraternity here at WBF. He is willing to share his opinions with the forum. We should have the respect to take him at his word and trust that he is describing things accurately. If you do not place value on these types of videos, you should simply not watch them. Frankly, I am very surprised that you would comment given your vehement criticisms of such videos.

I do not understand how on the one hand you can say these videos have no validity and claim they should not be judged for their sound quality, and then do exactly that, and judge their sonics, plus insult the author of the videos by publicly accusing him of not being truthful about how he made the videos.

@Vienna is showing patience and restraint here. I respect and commend him for that. I am surprised that you do not give him the same respect.

Peter,

as always you constantly misinterpret my views on system videos. I don't know why. In any case:

1. I think videos SUCK as a measure to judge the absolute sound quality of a system. I have said so repeatedly.

2. Yet this does not mean that you cannot hear any comparative differences, even though videos in general SUCK. Is it so hard to make a distinction between points 1 and 2? You seem to concede such a distinction as almost a side comment, but only in the context of complaining that I say videos suck, which they do.*)

Where is the "hypocrisy" here? I have NOT made a judgement about the absolute sound quality of Vienna's system from these videos.

3.Yet in this case the comparative differences are simply to large to be explained by just a power cable difference. Since the difference is too large, there must be other parameters in the recording that differ. I am not claiming that Vienna is deliberately misleading us, but that for some reason the recording parameters are different nonetheless. After all there is, if I understand correctly, a 3 month time difference between the videos.

Also, as you should have noticed, I had backed down from the discussion in this thread after Vienna told me that the conditions were identical. By backing down and not further inflaming the issue I did show respect, which you claim I did not. It is you, Peter, who needed to revive the issue in some fit of indignation.

4. Yes, like you I heard clear differences between power cables. But never SUCH a difference.

I hope this clears it up. Also, I agree with what Ack said in #36, posted while I was in the process of composing this post.

And as you know, when we had an email discussion among a few friends about this, another friend of ours said the same thing as I did: the recording conditions simply cannot be identical. So it's not just me and Ack.

*) If it makes you feel better, Peter, your system videos are among the best I have heard, and they may have some comparative value, e.g., when showcasing different cartridges. They even were unexpectedly useful in correctly convincing people that Magico speakers need not sound cold and sterile. But they still do not do justice to your system -- which I know very well since I have heard your system in person numerous times.

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing