Open Letter to Joel Davis Re: Axpona 2020

davidavdavid

Jun 30, 2014
Columbus, Ohio, USA
david.com
Just received this e-mail moments ago which apparently went to attendees:

Personally I'd advise all attendees to go for the refund and NOT the transfer.
Curious now to see how they will be dealing with the exhibitors.

Good Morning,

We are actively working on 2021 but wanted to get this message out to you as quickly as possible to advise that we will be offering refunds if requested. We are however hoping that you may consider rolling over your 2020 ticket to the 2021 event to help us. As a token of appreciation, you will receive a FREE companion ticket for next year’s event. If you are not in a position to do so, you will receive your refund, no questions asked.

Please respond by June 1st, 2020 to jenabeth@jdevents.com and let us know one of the following options:

• Yes I want a full refund. Your refund will be submitted on the Friday of the week you submit it and refunds then take 7-10 business days to appear on your credit card statement once processed.

• I want to help ensure AXPONA’s long-term success please transfer my ticket to 2021 and in appreciation I will take a free companion ticket for 2021. Details how to register for the companion ticket will be sent in early 2021 once ticket sales are available.

Best,
Jenabeth

Jenabeth Ferguson
Vice President, Event Director
JD Events
203-371-6322 ext. 213
jenabeth@jdevents.com

*No transfers or refunds will be available after June 1, 2020

DSkip

Industry Expert
Aug 26, 2013
Arlington, TX
www.audiothesis.com
I made the decision not to return to AXPONA this year back in April - not because the show isn't great, but because I wanted a break from the financial commitment and also to explore different options. I was looking forward to attending the show on the other side of the coin, but now I can't be more relieved in the choice I made last year.

I feel for everyone involved. I know this is a tough situation for all parties and I do get the feeling that JD Events is trying to find a common ground. Unfortunately I get the feeling that there isn't going to be one for most to feel satisfactory.

Best wishes to those who are entrenched in this.

caesar

May 30, 2010
Really Sux.

"....Virtually all deposit monies were spent on producing and marketing the April show, including salaries, overhead and other service providers..."

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Thats awfull they should have made some deal here with everybody
Transfer the exhibitor attendance payment to next year for example.
And pay up another 30 % extra next year
And give only a 50 % visitor payment
Return if possible
Everybody should carry the loss not only the exhibitors .
What i find strange indeed is that why jd events isnt insured for this kinda thing .
this is on their responsability imo not the exhibitors problem in the first place.

I would say get all togeher file a case and let the judge decide who should pay what and or get a refund.

I m sure there are enough lawyers who would see a case here

Last edited:

caesar

May 30, 2010
Return if possible
What i find strange indeed is that why jd events isnt insured for this kinda thing .
this is on their responsability imo not the exhibitors problem in the first place.

I would say get all togeher file a case and let the judge decide who should pay what and or get a refund.

Insurance costs money, so many self-insure. Avoids passing the costs on ...

But here we have what we have now ...

Wimbledon is supposedly getting a $141 Million payout for the cancellation of the turnament. They were paying $2M a year for the policy

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England

DSkip

Industry Expert
Aug 26, 2013
Arlington, TX
www.audiothesis.com
Return if possible

I would think the complexity of state/national/international suits would be a rather involved undertaking. I also think this could actually be a detriment to those involved - if it becomes a class action, I doubt JDE would be able to cover all that money and would simply dissolve without any real assets to cover. Working with JDE appears to be the best solution.

With that said, I don't think there is a 'best solution possible' here.

Elliot G.

Industry Expert
Jul 22, 2010
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
www.bendingwaveusa.com
Reactions: howiebrou

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
AXPONA CANCELED

AXPONA 2020 has been canceled. CEO and Founder of show organizer JD Events released yesterday the following letter:

April 30, 2020

Dear AXPONA Community;

It is with heartfelt disappointment but concern for the health and safety of all AXPONA participants that we announce today the official cancellation of AXPONA 2020 due to the impact of COVID-19. We thank everyone who had committed to making the 2020 event into what would have been the largest and most attended AXPONA in history. Although there remains over three months until our August dates, we do not feel 100% confident that we can provide a safe environment for all of our customers and press to network and do business in Schaumburg by that date.

We are reaching out directly to exhibitors, sponsors and attendees this morning with further details. These are enormously challenging times for everyone’s personal and business lives but let us stay strong, caring and united. The industry will come through this together and it will be a better and safer world on the other side. We look forward to hosting a celebratory AXPONA for the ages when we all meet again in 2021.

Sincerely,
Joel A. Davis
Founder & CEO
JD Events

Reactions: ack

Elliot G.

Industry Expert
Jul 22, 2010
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
www.bendingwaveusa.com

Elliot G.

Industry Expert
Jul 22, 2010
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
www.bendingwaveusa.com
Insurance costs money, so many self-insure. Avoids passing the costs on ...

But here we have what we have now ...

Wimbledon is supposedly getting a $141 Million payout for the cancellation of the tournament. They were paying $2M a year for the policy

It does cost money but one would think that they would protect not only themselves but all of us who have paid in FULL months ago for the show. There are a million reasons that the event could have been cancelled over. ( i.s. a fire in the hotel, electrical issues etc)
Let us all not forget something here. Axpona is a money making proposition, Its not a charity, they are saving the world, feeding the hungry, creating world peace, its an audio show for PROFIT.
It is extremely disappointing to everyone that has invested there time, money and effort to loose it all. I do not want to have Axpona go away it is an excellent venue and a great event but I do feel that they did not protect anyone here. That as the Godfather said I can not forgive.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
I'm a landlord. When tenants don't pay rent, I usually have recourse. Right now, that right has been taken away. I still have to provide services, pay utilities, pay real estate taxes, insurance, etc, but increasingly with less revenue. The time will come when I have to decide what repairs to do, or if I will replace the frig when the tenant isn't paying rent. Something will give, I just don't know what yet. I am learning how to accept that, and trying to work around it, the new reality, though I don't see the fairness in it all. In the end, everyone will have to take a haircut, and some will lose more than others.

If the Axpona situation is not resolved to everyone's satisfaction, people will adjust and respond differently going forward. Many lessons are being learned from this crisis.

Last edited:

DSkip

Industry Expert
Aug 26, 2013
Arlington, TX
www.audiothesis.com
It does cost money but one would think that they would protect not only themselves but all of us who have paid in FULL months ago for the show. There are a million reasons that the event could have been cancelled over. ( i.s. a fire in the hotel, electrical issues etc)
Let us all not forget something here. Axpona is a money making proposition, Its not a charity, they are saving the world, feeding the hungry, creating world peace, its an audio show for PROFIT.
It is extremely disappointing to everyone that has invested there time, money and effort to loose it all. I do not want to have Axpona go away it is an excellent venue and a great event but I do feel that they did not protect anyone here. That as the Godfather said I can not forgive.

They did not say there was not insurance coverage, just that it didn’t cover pandemics. I seriously doubt they started AXPONA without some form of insurance policy given it’s essentially their entire revenue source.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing