Rock/Pop/Folk Original Pressings Versus Re-Issues

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
We have had many discussions about the sound quality of original pressings versus re-issues. Most of these discussions focus on classical music.

But what about rock/pop/folk music from the 1970s and 1980s? Do you think the original pressings of acts like Fleetwood Mac, Billy Joel, Elton John, Jim Croce, etc., sound better than the re-issues by DCC Compact Classics, Mobile Fidelity (before they started using DSD transfers to press vinyl), etc.?

Of course it is almost meaningless to generalize. These kinds of comparisons have to be done on a title-by-title, and on a direct, apples-to-apples comparison basis. And, of course, different original pressings sound different.

What has been your experience comparing directly original pressings specifically of rock/pop/folk music from the 1970s and 1980s to re-issues?

Last edited:

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
It’s really album specific. For instance, listening to Mofi Private Eyes that was remastered around 10 years ago and it sounds bright with not much low end - kinda like early 80s recordings though. Funny enough, haven’t even opened my Mofi Billy Joel albums.

Most of the dCCs sound great (Elton John for example) but Kate Bush’s Hounds of Love sounds overly hooded and smooth. Blech. I’ll play it for you next time.

Reactions: Ron Resnick

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I remember thinking that the DCC Compact Classics of re-issues of 1970s and 1980s pop and folk, in general, sound more transparent and warmer and richer and more dimensional, all with quieter vinyl, than the original records.

Last edited:

Bergm@nn

Aug 14, 2021
I generally stick with first pressing from the country of origin and rarely go wrong with this approach.

Some audiophile reissues may be fresher and quieter, but like for like grading I’m not sure I’ve heard a reissue sound better than an original press, no matter the marketing hyperbole and perfume marketing strategy.

BillK

Aug 25, 2015
Regardless of the recent controversies I find that MoFi releases do tend to improve on the original pressings most of the time, a MoFi release of Sinatra’s Sinatra being one of my favorite LPs in my
collection.

However when it comes to MoFi silver band LPs, I borrowed a copy of Cyndi Lauper’s She’s So Unusual and preferred the original copy I bought as a kid.

Of all the habits that I had that unknowingly paid future dividends, my junior high/high school habit of playing a new record once to record it to a TDK SA-90 and then never playing the vinyl again has been the biggest.

(Mostly because I didn’t follow my whims and invest in Apple instead. :p)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing