One DAC To Rule Them All.... - Introducing the Kassandra from Aries Cerat

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
Yes, Audiocrack also has a Zanden 4-box. I know time has moved on, but i have not found anything yet to tempt me away from it. I have auditioned a reasonable amount of the 'prior generation' of digital (up to Scarlatti). More recently, i have spent time with the 4-stack Vivaldi which impressed me a lot, and i still remember considering the Metronome Calista Ref. Would like to hear the Aries Kassandra Ref DACs at some point.

Try the latest Lampi GG with R2R PCM and DSD. Thank me later.

853guy

Aug 14, 2013
Wow for such an expensive product their website sucks.

Weirdly, I find most of the products from the world of outlandish audio I would personally want to own have either A) a 90's looking website, or; B) no website at all. What does that tell you about websites?

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Weirdly, I find most of the products from the world of outlandish audio I would personally want to own have either A) a 90's looking website, or; B) no website at all. What does that tell you about websites?

What is a 90s looking website?

853guy

Aug 14, 2013

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
most times from a review we look for some sort of direct comparison to a known reference to get a sense of performance. in this case we must look to the emotional response to the product and decide for ourselves what significance that has. he makes no direct A/B with any other product or even a specific vinyl set-up. there is no mention much of formats or even different resolutions of files. or even if there were any files, or just redbook. I suppose every market views those issues differently. those are things which I want to learn about from a review.

yet there is value in the feedback. and he did buy it. so we take it at face value as a data point. I appreciate the time he took and that he shared his views. I have enjoyed his previous reviews and certainly has a substantial system.

853guy

Aug 14, 2013
most times from a review we look for some sort of direct comparison to a known reference to get a sense of performance. in this case we must look to the emotional response to the product and decide for ourselves what significance that has. he makes no direct A/B with any other product or even a specific vinyl set-up. there is no mention much of formats or even different resolutions of files. or even if there were any files, or just redbook. I suppose every market views those issues differently. those are things which I want to learn about from a review.

yet there is value in the feedback. and he did buy it. so we take it at face value as a data point. I appreciate the time he took and that he shared his views.

"Specific" is kind of a loosely defined term...

http://www.monoandstereo.com/2016/07/kronos-pro-ltd-and-super-charged-power.html

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010

I am familiar with his previous reviews about his tt's and his grounding products where he did get very specific; in this review he simply does not get into details on any direct comparisons (or formats or servers or.....) to the degree I would like to see, yet I got plenty of value from what he did write. it's just not the whole picture I would like to learn about. it's a product that has been held up as a reference, so I am curious. but not much closer to understanding than before reading it.

853guy

Aug 14, 2013
I am familiar with his previous reviews about his tt's and his grounding products where he did get very specific; in this review he simply does not get into details on any direct comparisons (or formats or servers or.....) to the degree I would like to see, yet I got plenty of value from what he did write. it's just not the whole picture I would like to learn about. it's a product that has been held up as a reference, so I am curious. but not much closer to understanding than before reading it.

Well, Mike, I think if your Herzan could take the 120kg of both chassis', then I believe I can be of service in pointing you toward Joshua's phone number above...

Believe High Fidelity

[Industry Expert]
Nov 19, 2015
Hutto TX
ibelieveinhifi.com

yet there is value in the feedback. and he did buy it. so we take it at face value as a data point. I appreciate the time he took and that he shared his views. I have enjoyed his previous reviews and certainly has a substantial system.

I agree. I often find that there is not enough reference to source material and specifics of the source for the interested party to test for themselves in a lot of reviews. Whether it is comparison for other equipment in an A/B or just to for the reader to duplicate the effects of the equipment on their references.

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
Well, Mike, I think if your Herzan could take the 120kg of both chassis', then I believe I can be of service in pointing you toward Joshua's phone number above...

both my Herzan's do handle over 300 pounds, 140-150 Kgs.

and Joshua and I have a tentative plan to do just that later this year. will it happen? takes 2 to tango.

853guy

Aug 14, 2013

and Joshua and I have a tentative plan to do just that later this year. will it happen? takes 2 to tango.

I'll get my accordion.

Jazzhead

VIP/Donor
Aug 26, 2012

More digital passing thru your den than analog as in TT , nothing to improve on that front ?

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
More digital passing thru your den than analog as in TT , nothing to improve on that front ?

I don't want to get this thread off kilter.....but I'd say I'm thrilled with my vinyl and tape.....and have little, if any, sense to search for more in those areas. and when I play it I'm just taken away completely.

I'd have to hear a new tt/arm/cart/phono reference that would get me pretty motivated. not to say there are not shades of different/better with each of my pieces. but in total it's right there I think.

and the Studer A-820(s) is sort of end of line.

I am 'in-play' on the digital side of things, and going down the road....liking where I'm at a lot, but with my eyes and ears open.

Believe High Fidelity

[Industry Expert]
Nov 19, 2015
Hutto TX
ibelieveinhifi.com

With a Limited Edition? Probably not.

I am going to launch 4 new brands under our Umbrella just for Analog in the next couple of weeks. Doing a A/B for shits and giggles has moved to a "nice to-do" activity.

853guy

Aug 14, 2013
Mike Lavigne said:

With a Limited Edition? Probably not.

I am going to launch 4 new brands under our Umbrella just for Analog in the next couple of weeks. Doing a A/B for shits and giggles has moved to a "nice to-do" activity.

I'll put my accordion away.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
I was going to add a drum roll...

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
I was going to add a drum roll...

Joshua made the offer last year, and it's the kind of thing that would involve a big commitment by him, and not by me. so it was never anything that I felt he needed to be obligated to do. if it happened, then great, if not, then no worries. I wish Joshua and his products all the best and who knows what the future might bring....and if a lesser dac model comes my way to listen to in my room at some point we will go down that road.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing