Oldies But Goodies

Jun 17, 2011
White Rock, New Mexico
HI All,
I just wanted to fill you in on my latest additions to my Academy Best Picture collection. As I described before I'm collecting all the Best Picture award winners from 1955 to present. For the most part, I have been depending on what shows up on the bargain shelves which is totally random. With these I have been able to collect almost all of the Best Pictures from the 80's, 90's, and up to 2010. What I lack are many of the movies from the 50's, 60's and 70's. Many of these are just not available from the bargain shelves. So, I have adjusted my strategy. I'm now buying through Amazon. The prices are quite good.

I just recently added "The Bridge Over the River Kwai" (winner, 1957), and "The Sting" (winner, 1973). Both are terrific movies and classics.

Buying through Amazon opens some possibilities that are not available from the bargain shelves. Namely, I can get movies that are older, more artistic, often foreign, than the standard academy winners, good as they are. So now, when I buy an Academy winner, I'm also buying movies I have selected from Roger Ebert's list of Great Movies. Why am I doing this? Well, why not? I know I will be getting a pair of wonderful movies even if I'm not familiar with many of Ebert's choices. I trust the man's taste. Do understand that I research Ebert's movies based on other sources but his three Great Movies books have a strong influence on me.

I have a few award winners from before 1955 such as "Gone With The Wind" (winner, 1939), the original "King Kong" (not an award winner but one of my favorite movies; the newest version ain't bad either), "Casablanca" (winner, 1943), On The Waterfront" (winner, 1954), and "The Wizard Of Oz" (nominated for Best Picture but lost to "Gone With The Wind" (1939).

I feel so lucky to have these treasures available on DVD.

Sparky

Last edited:

RBFC

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
www.fightingconcepts.com
Both Ben Hur and The Ten Commandments received excellent restorations and are great films to boot. If you don't already have them, they are worthy of consideration.

Lee

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing