Official Thread to Report Bugs, Concerns or Suggestions With The New Site Platform

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
It's actually somewhat in the middle, tee hee. If you click on new posts you will see it just below the new posts bar

i know about that filter, i complained about how i wanted to be able to eliminate it permanently in post #185 here;

https://www.whatsbestforum.com/thre...e-new-site-platform.26462/page-10#post-536308

i want to be able to 'set' the filter a certain way permanently as admin suggests in post #238 above. "you can set that in FILTERS tab. I explained this to DDK."

no, you cannot 'set' that filter. it must be annoyingly selected every time, then the page reloads and i have to scroll down around the ads every damn time....to see all the posts. my aim is to get to the thread i just posted on, plus see what is new, at the same time....with one click.

this is the simplest, most needed navigation. one click, everything, no filters.

Last edited:
Reactions: bonzo75

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
What's the difference between "what's new" and "new posts" and why doesn't "new posts" show up in the forum sub-menu anymore?

Reactions: bonzo75

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
i know about that filter, i complained about how i wanted to be able to eliminate it permanently in post #185 here;

https://www.whatsbestforum.com/thre...e-new-site-platform.26462/page-10#post-536308

i want to be able to 'set' the filter a certain way permanently as admin suggests in post #238 above. "you can set that in FILTERS tab. I explained this to DDK."

no, you cannot 'set' that filter. it must be annoyingly selected every time, then the page reloads and i have to scroll down around the ads every damn time.

Yes good point and scrolling down the ads each time is irritating.

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
What's the difference between "what's new" and "new posts" and why doesn't "new posts" show up in the forum sub-menu anymore?

+1

The one good, usable link, "New posts", was removed.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator

Mike if you are talking about that button that says see only new posts. You said you want that removed. Maybe I misunderstand you but when I click on that button it disappears and I see 10 pages of posts. The filter on the right can be set and once happy with your choice click the button that says "save as default"

Is there something we are missing because both of those boxes when used the way you want and set as a default will give you what you want

As for pizzaz and colors, Julian's response told everyone how they can change the colors they see

asiufy

Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com

Up until yesterday, "New Posts" was where "Latest activity" is now.
I don't care for either "What's New" or "Latest Activity". "New posts" works for me, and now I have to click on "What's New", then click on "New Posts". Not the end of the world, of course, but surely a step in the wrong direction.

Steve Williams

Alex

We are working on it. It is difficult to do immediate fixes. Many things need code to be written that either we can do or we need to hire someone to do it as we had to yesterday. This is time and money

This is labor and money intense. It seems many here have a wish list some of which is easily solved whereas others aren't

we are looking into fixing the online privacy status. As an admin I can always see who is online whether signed in or not. So when I unclick those buttons in my privacy status, I still see myself online. There are 2 buttons to unclick, the one one that shows you online as well as the button that shows where you are in the site. Is everyone unclicking both buttons

asiufy

Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Thanks, I see it's fixed now.

Steve Williams

Up until yesterday, "New Posts" was where "Latest activity" is now.
I don't care for either "What's New" or "Latest Activity". "New posts" works for me, and now I have to click on "What's New", then click on "New Posts". Not the end of the world, of course, but surely a step in the wrong direction.

I understand your comment as it was good yesterday in my mind as well until several once again complained.

But once again Alex, you as well as most everyone here are failing to see the trees for the forest as these buttons are all encompassing as the site is nowhere than threads and posts but so also, media, posts, articles, etc. When these functions become populated, the differences will become evident

We are also looking into removing the "who liked whose posts" in the activity stream. I agree that that is a nuisance. We are also working on a way to add some contrast between each post in the activity stream

What is most important is that as we stated yesterday there are several roads in and several roads out but the destination is the same and constructive way of showing us where the error is with a suggestion as to how to make it better. I find that all of your posts in this thread .

I have had zero problems navigating the site regardless of how the navigation buttons were set

Finally, to tima, I must commend you on your positive approach in how you recommend fixes to errors and bugs that you have found. You have been a steadying influence in this thread to the admin team and we agree that if someone has an issue please include screen shots so that everyone can understand.

This is a work in progress so please bear with us.

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah

no, you cannot 'set' that filter. it must be annoyingly selected every time, then the page reloads and i have to scroll down around the ads every damn time....to see all the posts. my aim is to get to the thread i just posted on, plus see what is new, at the same time....with one click.

this is the simplest, most needed navigation. one click, everything, no filters.

Hi Mike,

I know exactly what you're talking about and where the confusion comes from. I missed it too, the brown FILTER box is actually the Save button, you have to click it before after making your selection. It's part of the counterintuitive issues that's being discussed.

david

filter button.jpg.png

Steve Williams

Hi Mike,

I know exactly what you're talking about and where the confusion comes from. I missed it too, the brown FILTER box is actually the Save button, you have to click it before after making your selection. It's part of the counterintuitive issues that's being discussed.

david

View attachment 44872
Hi David

I find this filter set as clear as clear can be. Having said that all you have to do is click it once and it’s done. You’re making mountains out of molehills

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
Hi David

I find this filter set as clear as clear can be. Having said that all you have to do is click it once and it’s done. You’re making mountains out of molehills
I'm not making mountains out of anything Steve, I went to that menu many times before as Mike has, clicking on the word Filter wasn't obvious to either one of us and who knows how many others that recognize Filter means Save. Everything that I mentioned in the PMs has been confirmed in this thread by others too and these aren't complaints they're facts from people who're invested in making the site better, that's all nothing personal.

david

Steve Williams

I'm not making mountains out of anything Steve, I went to that menu many times before as Mike has, clicking on the word Filter wasn't obvious to either one of us and who knows how many others that recognize Filter means Save. Everything that I mentioned in the PMs has been confirmed in this thread by others too and these aren't complaints they're facts from people who're invested in making the site better, that's all nothing personal.

david

I still beg to differ David.It was very obvious to me. Again thanks for your help. Filters are just that. I use them every day in Google and other platforms. It is meant to set something to one's liking such that when you save it you never have to touch it again. ThatIMO is far from counterintuitive. All you do is open the menu, click your preference and then click save as default.

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
I still beg to differ David.It was very obvious to me. Again thanks for your help. Filters are just that. I use them every day in Google and other platforms. It is meant to set something to one's liking such that when you save it you never have to touch it again. ThatIMO is far from counterintuitive. All you do is open the menu, click your preference and then click save as default.

You misunderstand Steve, having filters isn't the issue they're a good thing no argument there. The problem is UI, not seeing that there's a Save button as a last step when it says Filter and you're in the filters menu and you've checked Save defaults box, there's nothing obvious about it. No one is against features issue has always been is to know that they're there when they're hidden and the additional friction caused by the UI.

david

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing