Official Thread to Report Bugs, Concerns or Suggestions With The New Site Platform

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Perhaps I’m being thick skinned David but to me when it says click button to save as default to me that’s as obvious as the tip of your nose. This is not counterintuitive but I have yet to see a filter on any site I’ve ever used that doesn’t have a save as default or something similar. This to me is misunderstanding and not playing with the system as I’ve suggested. This is far from counterintuitive

Last edited:

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Please tell me why you think we should say on vBulletin.

As far as I know, no one suggested that, but I may have missed it. Instead, some of us are looking for usability improvements to match vBulletin's

Steve Williams

The Privacy function works Bob.

If you MUST do this here we go
So you sign in, go to your account, go to Privacy, uncheck online status and Show Online Status. I found unchecking the second box can be difficult. If so, uncheck the first box and save.

Click Save. Now go back into the same prefs and check it has deselected both boxes. Now LOG OUT. Then Log back in. Go to a different browser or device, and look for online members. I found I am now NOT visible, even if logged in.

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
Steve,

i found the filter button on the right side, and after playing around with it some seem to have eliminated that 'unread' filter that was bugging me.

i had missed that 'filter' button in all previous looks at things.

thanks and so far i seem to get my 'one click, everything' look on 'new posts.

Reactions: Steve Williams

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I think all of us listen similarly but browse the forum differently

Reactions: dminches

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
I think all of us listen similarly but browse the forum differently

I agree. I didn't realize people cared that others can see that they are on line. After all, I don't think we have spouses here. ;)

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
The Privacy function works Bob.

If you MUST do this here we go
So you sign in, go to your account, go to Privacy, uncheck online status and Show Online Status. I found unchecking the second box can be difficult. If so, uncheck the first box and save.

Click Save. Now go back into the same prefs and check it has deselected both boxes. Now LOG OUT. Then Log back in. Go to a different browser or device, and look for online members. I found I am now NOT visible, even if logged in.

Begging your pardon, the Privacy function does not work. As far as I know it has never worked in the new software.

I made no changes, there are the same as yesterday. I logged out, closed the browser then started it. All these screens shots are taken in the same browsing session. Each time I posted that the Privacy option does not work, I went through this.

1. Style is Default
2018-10-25_1-07-37.jpg

2. Privacy options - showing online status and current activity NOT selected

2018-10-25_1-17-42.jpg

3. Online Status is Shown

2018-10-25_1-20-42.jpg

Attachments

• 2018-10-25_1-07-37.jpg
    2018-10-25_1-07-37.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 0

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest

I agree with Bonzo, we should also let be known those new features we like.

This Filter Control option is one of my favorites. I never liked how under 'New Posts' the prior forum failed to show me a post I'd already seen and couldn't remember how to return to it again.

On the other hand I do prefer seeing a graphic in a reply rather than a link.

admin1959

THE FIXER (I build websites)
Mar 27, 2010
Begging your pardon, the Privacy function does not work. As far as I know it has never worked in the new software.

I made no changes, there are the same as yesterday. I logged out, closed the browser then started it. All these screens shots are taken in the same browsing session. Each time I posted that the Privacy option does not work, I went through this.

1. Style is Default
View attachment 44882

2. Privacy options - showing online status and current activity NOT selected

View attachment 44883

3. Online Status is Shown

View attachment 44884

Tima
It works for me. Can you go to another browser, as not logged in, then see. I did that and they can't view I am online if I saved out the 2 settings.

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
The screen captures I posted are the clearest evidence I can offer you that the Privacy options are not working. It's great that it is working for some members.

Can you see my ID in the list of Members Online? That should be proof.

I've used Firefox since 2002 and currently have the most recent version 63.0 (64-bit).

Do you know how many WBF members and guests use which browsers? If I recall that data is available on a normal HTTP request.

My (admittedly vague) understanding is the software now used for WBF is Xenforo (?) which was chosen because the previous VBulletin was not supported and Xenforo is. I'm guesing Xenforo has bug reports for issues outstanding. Do you buy support from them during this rollout phase -or- as a customer have the ability to submit a ticket for help? Maybe they have an explanation, are able to tell you if they recognize the issue with Firefox or tell you where it is in their queue of issues to resolve.

You may or may not not have this perspective: without the Privacy option working, WBF is publicly tracking and displaying a member's presence and activity without his consent. If a person makes use of the Privacy options, he has no reson to doubt that his activity remains his own, otherwise why are the options there?

I hope you commit to resolving what appears an obvious bug so all users may enjoy the same feature set on WBF. Thank you.

2018-10-26_1-11-41.jpg

admin1959

Mar 27, 2010
PRIVACY - HOW TO HIDE YOU ONLINE PRESENCE
or 'Hide Your Arse' as they say for IP cloaking!

A. Go to Account > Privacy.
B. Click the top 2 boxes to hide your online status.
C. Save.
D. Go back to check it has saved
E. Go to another browser on your device, Firefox, Safari or Chrome or IE, a different one to the one you are using
F. go the WBF domain.
G. DO NOT LOGIN
H. Now you will see you are invisible, yet in your other browser where you are logged in, you can see you are online in the member list.

So to recap, when you are logged in, you can see that YOU are online. Others don't see that. In my screen grab you can see I am logged in in Safari but not in Firefox and are invisible to everyone. But I like being visible, I don't want to fade away.... but that is me.

So: No bug.

privacy.jpg

admin1959

Mar 27, 2010
If you use the same browser and then log out, it may still remember the cash, or something. This is NOT a bug in Xenforo, trust me guys.

Do my test please, use a different browser, get a buddy or other member to look. The members online list will not show you online, or will the little green circle over your Avatar in posts. See below. logged-in.jpg

admin1959

Mar 27, 2010
The web serve is having some issues today. I couldn't get into the account, or cPanel at their server. It is not related to Xenforo. There are les bugs in Xenforo than vBulletin. It usually stabilises later. I will put up a service ticket.

We have already purchased extra space and memory. It is a fluid situation that we are reviewing. I think this outage today is not space or resource, it is an issue at the whole web server which also serves many other clients.

The hosting is server in CA, and they are pretty good, quick to respond and sort things out. The bits they do are at server level though, not so much beyond that. Though they have helped us during the change over with server logs and problems we came across.

On software support, we do have good support form Xenforo, and also the Xenforo community is very active and responds well to need for advice and requests. But any required work on this forum has to be done my me, so there is no team of guys in leather jackets and big boots behind computer servers. However, we are doing ok so far, and I am hoping things will calm down in the next few weeks.

Thanks for the input from members, it has speeded up fixes and tweaks post going live on the new format. Before I arrived mid last year, Steve and Ron basically had nobody to do this sort of work, so we are in a much better space now.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I still think there should be no privacy function. Be happy we already let people hide behind avatar names.

Why do I feel this way? Don’t you think the discourse would be much more cordial and less combative and less snarky if everybody had to post under their real names?

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I think “New Posts” and “Latest Activity” are the right terms and make the correct distinction. “What’s New,” in addition to New Posts and Latest Activity is confusing to me. I do not think we need the “What's New” term.

Latest Activity means the latest New Posts plus all other activity, such as photos, comments, likes, etc.

New Posts is a subset of Latest Activity. I don’t understand how, logically, there can be any objection to these two terms or to what these two terms mean.

Last edited:

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
I still think there should be no privacy function. Be happy we already let people hide behind avatar names.

Why do I feel this way? Don’t you think the discourse would be much more cordial and less combative and less snarky if everybody had to post under their real names?

personally i could not agree with you more. i am likely the most transparent audiophile poster ever. every move i've made is documented, and i've lived to regret that at certain times.

however; this is about being inclusive, and removing barriers to discourse. so i think it's important to accommodate all levels of anonymity, and so this particular privacy issue is one we should allow.

to me it's up to the moderators, and the forum community itself, to regulate cordiality and common sense. and not force more transparency of participants than they are comfortable with. my personal choice of complete transparency is my particular choice, not one i insist from others.

i've been on the wrong side of this debate in the past, and see it differently now.

Steve Williams

I see and understand both sides of the argument. The reality is people register here and everywhere under usernames that seem normal but aren't their real names

we talked about anonymity on the site by remaining invisible. It seems everyone wants it and to me it is no big deal because if you don't let members on as invisible they get around that by surfing the site not logged in. IOW a double edged sword

FWIW admins are able to see who is on the site at any one time

Last edited:

Steve Williams

I think “New Posts” and “Latest Activity” are the right terms and make the correct distinction. “What’s New,” in addition to New Posts and Latest Activity is confusing to me. I do not think we need the “What's New” term.

Latest Activity means the latest New Posts plus all other activity, such as photos, comments, likes, etc.

I don’t understand how, logically, there can be any objection to these two terms or to what these two terms mean.

Hi Ron

we have discussed ad nauseam what "what's new" encompasses Again I will just say that Whats New involves everything on the site, posts, articles, media photos etc. It might not seem obvious just yet as this is the commonest thing people remain confused about. However it is there for a reason

I do agree however that New Posts and Latest Activity gets you where you want to be

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Oops! Then I am confused! :eek:

What is the exact difference between “Latest Activity” and “What's New”?

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing