Nola Concert Grands

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
Thanks Eliot - I wanted to have an idea of the prices to understand how they compare with other brands.

I probably already said it but it's worth saying again: for my tastes the Baby Grand Reference Gold is far more enjoyable (and much easier to drive) than TAD Ref 1, Magico Q5 or Wilson MAXX 3, to name 3 similarly priced speakers that I've at least heard a little. I do wonder how they would sound with a Pass Labs XA100.5 or XS150.

Priaptor

Member Sponsor
Jan 28, 2012
FL
I probably already said it but it's worth saying again: for my tastes the Baby Grand Reference Gold is far more enjoyable (and much easier to drive) than TAD Ref 1, Magico Q5 or Wilson MAXX 3, to name 3 similarly priced speakers that I've at least heard a little. I do wonder how they would sound with a Pass Labs XA100.5 or XS150.

Before I got my Concert Grands some guy with Maxx came over to listen to my Baby Grands Series II and was sold on the Baby Grands before even hearing the Golds. He wound up getting the Golds and selling his Maxx

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
When you say "lesser models" are you referring to speakers like his Micro, Metro and Baby Grands or the tier below. (...) Yes, the Concert Grands more than most speakers are probably a "system" designed around certain components like the REF75 and Nordost but the end product is amazing, so who cares.

Priaptor,

Great post. Just for curiosity, how many Odin's do you own? :)

Priaptor

Member Sponsor
Jan 28, 2012
FL
Priaptor,

Great post. Just for curiosity, how many Odin's do you own? :)

Right now none. I have a loaner Odin power cord for the Ref75.

I am using Valhalla 2 ICs and speaker cables.

Carl wanted me to hear the system properly so he lent me an Odin power cable. It is great as he said it would be. It is absurdly expensive and I am pretty tapped out at this point no matter how much I want it. It is kind of absurd to buy a power cable that costs more than the amp but it works!! It is nuts

caesar

May 30, 2010
Caesar,
Can you give us more details about what you have heard?

Hi Microstrip,

The vast majority of times I have heard Nolas at shows, where Carl uses ARC and Nordost cables costing much more than the ARC electronics.
Here's a thread from my 2012 RMAF show report:

http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showt...LA-%93KO%94-destroys-most-regardless-of-price

It's not very hard to get a handle on Nola's sonic signature. It's quite unique. Repeat what I said in Post # 26:

"... with his [Carl's] speakers, you just hear the music - You turn them on and get lost. Screw the audiophile vocabulary; it’s only the music. Other than well set up MBLs and Scaenas, this is not an exaggeration, and is truly unique in high end. He doesn't need to talk about enclosures and measurements like magico or about adjustability like Wilson. Let the other schmocks talk about costs of parts, which only cheapen the brand value and have the customer focus on the markup and then seek a discount when purchasing. Instead, he should specifically target those audiophiles who want to get lost in the music vs. are interested in the technical aspects and measurements. This musicality, which comes across in his cheapest $1500 speakers to the most expensive, is what makes his gear unique, and he should pound this message harder than a young Mike Tyson working the heavy bag.

...... his speakers convey emotions that music lovers yearn for and that owners of his speakers actually get those hairs on the back of their neck to stand up as they reach that nirvana. It will take hard work, but should be easier to do when you actually deliver on those promises as Nola speakers do."

As someone who has fondness for electrostats, I think you will really like the very open sounding Nolas if you heard them.

caesar

May 30, 2010

Burmester 911, Lamm, or Dartzeel would be interesting to try also.

Suteetat

Sep 3, 2013
Bangkok
I heard Micro Grand with ARC Ref5 and Plinius amp and they sound very good. Also Baby Grand (not the gold version) with Burmester which was also very enjoyable. While not being talked about much, I think Nola does pretty well. Waiting list for the speakers are quite long from what I was told so additional publicity is probably not as big a concerned. If there is any weak point, for my taste, the speakers does not quite look the price that they are asking for and the picture looks 10x worse than the real thing but the sound certainly will compete and often beat similarly price but better looking speakers. But I suppose I take performance over looks any day for audio equipment.

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV

Priaptor

Member Sponsor
Jan 28, 2012
FL
Hi Microstrip,

The vast majority of times I have heard Nolas at shows, where Carl uses ARC and Nordost cables costing much more than the ARC electronics.
Here's a thread from my 2012 RMAF show report:

http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showt...LA-%93KO%94-destroys-most-regardless-of-price

It's not very hard to get a handle on Nola's sonic signature. It's quite unique. Repeat what I said in Post # 26:

"... with his [Carl's] speakers, you just hear the music - You turn them on and get lost. Screw the audiophile vocabulary; it’s only the music. Other than well set up MBLs and Scaenas, this is not an exaggeration, and is truly unique in high end. He doesn't need to talk about enclosures and measurements like magico or about adjustability like Wilson. Let the other schmocks talk about costs of parts, which only cheapen the brand value and have the customer focus on the markup and then seek a discount when purchasing. Instead, he should specifically target those audiophiles who want to get lost in the music vs. are interested in the technical aspects and measurements. This musicality, which comes across in his cheapest $1500 speakers to the most expensive, is what makes his gear unique, and he should pound this message harder than a young Mike Tyson working the heavy bag.

...... his speakers convey emotions that music lovers yearn for and that owners of his speakers actually get those hairs on the back of their neck to stand up as they reach that nirvana. It will take hard work, but should be easier to do when you actually deliver on those promises as Nola speakers do."

As someone who has fondness for electrostats, I think you will really like the very open sounding Nolas if you heard them.

It is quite difficult to justify a power cord that costs more than the amp and I understand the skepticism as I was one of the skeptics until Carl was kind enough to lend me the Power Cord. All I can say is that at least with my Concert Grands, the Odin power cord into the REF75 is absurd. Of course the bad news is NOW I have to buy one. Carl initially recommended I listen to it but I never had the opportunity to so he made it happen. There is definitely logic to this "madness" and it works.

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
It is quite difficult to justify a power cord that costs more than the amp and I understand the skepticism as I was one of the skeptics until Carl was kind enough to lend me the Power Cord. All I can say is that at least with my Concert Grands, the Odin power cord into the REF75 is absurd. Of course the bad news is NOW I have to buy one. Carl initially recommended I listen to it but I never had the opportunity to so he made it happen. There is definitely logic to this "madness" and it works.

I also have hosted an Odin full set for a very limited time in my room. Since that day I decided to avoid using Nordost cables in my system. :( I could appreciate the effect of the Odin power cables, but I am not yet prepared to spend such amounts in power cables, although I recognize that it is my own fault . But as you say, in some situations this crazy power cable is the most logical upgrade, and I was not sure for how long I could resist! Since then I was told that using an Odin power cable going from the wall socket to a Nordost distribution system and Valhalla2 or Tyr2 power cables is also a very acceptable power system, with a strong Odin flare. But it is only word of mouth, never tried or listened to such system.

Priaptor

Member Sponsor
Jan 28, 2012
FL
I also have hosted an Odin full set for a very limited time in my room. Since that day I decided to avoid using Nordost cables in my system. :( I could appreciate the effect of the Odin power cables, but I am not yet prepared to spend such amounts in power cables, although I recognize that it is my own fault . But as you say, in some situations this crazy power cable is the most logical upgrade, and I was not sure for how long I could resist! Since then I was told that using an Odin power cable going from the wall socket to a Nordost distribution system and Valhalla2 or Tyr2 power cables is also a very acceptable power system, with a strong Odin flare. But it is only word of mouth, never tried or listened to such system.

It is absurd (and sick) when looking at the price. I use a Silver Circle 5.0 Isolation transformer but have my Odin power cord directly from the wall to the amp. It works best that way. The rest of my equipment is fed via the Silver Circle 5.0. With 3 days under my belt with the Odin Power Cord I am committed to buying one, but need to get the $$ to do it. In this case, it will be just one and just for the REF75. I am convinced. I could get away with their shorter length but the "gurus" tell me that the 2.5 meter is the "optimal" length.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010

Here is a question...in a room with no dedicated powerlines, if you have 1 super-special power cable...and the rest are excellent but not 'the one'...do you stick the super-special cord in the wall to the power conditioner? Or just before the DAC...or preamp? Just curious as to people have found in their experiments. I just got a PAD 25th Ann after experimenting on changes to the PC to my CJ GAT...and am enjoying it. I have PAD Ann Contego/Dominus throughout the rest of the system and am extremely happy, but wanted to try their new silver PC with EMI/RFI filter. Just curious as to people's own experience as to where best to place it.

Priaptor

Member Sponsor
Jan 28, 2012
FL
Here is a question...in a room with no dedicated powerlines, if you have 1 super-special power cable...and the rest are excellent but not 'the one'...do you stick the super-special cord in the wall to the power conditioner? Or just before the DAC...or preamp? Just curious as to people have found in their experiments. I just got a PAD 25th Ann after experimenting on changes to the PC to my CJ GAT...and am enjoying it. I have PAD Ann Contego/Dominus throughout the rest of the system and am extremely happy, but wanted to try their new silver PC with EMI/RFI filter. Just curious as to people's own experience as to where best to place it.

My opinion "the one" should plug directly into the wall (I changed out my outlet to a Furutech outlet but not the wiring to my room) and "the one" from the wall should connect to the power amp of your choice. Of course if you have dual monoblocks "the one" becomes "the two". I have a Silver Circle 5.0 and definitely get the best results using it for the rest of my equipment with the Odin directly from the wall to my REF75. My opinion, but I think that is where you will get the biggest bang for the buck.

BobM

Feb 5, 2014
Long Island, NY
I guess logically you would want it as far upstream as possible, so on your source or as the cord feeding the power conditioner that is feeding everything else. However, YMMV because of synergies. You won't really know until you play the shuffle game, trying it in every location to see what soounds best.

Somtimes the "best" cable doesn't sound best in the logical place, for whatever reason. It's a trial and error thing, and a big PITA, but it can pay off in spades once you find the right spot.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Thanks for the advice. Yes, both posts make sense. Fortunately, I have only a few options. The sub has a cable that works well for it...done. The amp has a Gryphon reference cable...done. The Zanden transport has a PAD Ann Contego...done. The DAC has an older PAD dominus...which I preferred over the Ann Contego...and everything else i have ever tried...done. So its CJ GAT (where it is now)...or power conditioner. Will be interesting to let it settle in over the weekend in its current place and then see what happens. Thanks again for the advice.

Elliot G.

Industry Expert
Jul 22, 2010
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
www.bendingwaveusa.com
My opinion "the one" should plug directly into the wall (I changed out my outlet to a Furutech outlet but not the wiring to my room) and "the one" from the wall should connect to the power amp of your choice. Of course if you have dual monoblocks "the one" becomes "the two". I have a Silver Circle 5.0 and definitely get the best results using it for the rest of my equipment with the Odin directly from the wall to my REF75. My opinion, but I think that is where you will get the biggest bang for the buck.
I agree using one should go to the power amplifier which usually will sound its best directly into the wall. THere are some devices that work well with power amplifiers and dont use transformers or MOV's but my general opinion is I agree here with Priaptor.
I think Carl might be in for a big surprise if he gets the chance the hear the MSB diamond DAC and a SOTA server with High res files. I like the ARC digital and CD player but I believe that the MSB- server combo is truly at a new level for me.
The speaker system is good enough to show you easily what you have and what you have done without being clinical, cold and sterile.
I have heard a lot of digital combo's and many of them really good including the dCS, EMM, ARC etc and my fav is the MSB diamond. I think it is in a class by itself.
I want to clarify that I am talking about using all of them into a preamp like a REF 10 or REF5se and not with the optional built in VC which I do not like mearly as much. I would love to tell you why but I cant all I know is is it clearly better with the preamp in front.

Reactions: junerpp

caesar

May 30, 2010

Based on my experimentation, I would slap the best power cord from the power conditioner to the wall. Then the second best cord on your amp, which will do its best to clean up a lot of the grunge your amp is generating and sending back into the electrical system, and then the 3rd best on your source to clean up as much of the electric schmutz that the power conditioner and the amp cord don't.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Thanks all...will experiment after it finishes burning in this weekend.

Priaptor

Member Sponsor
Jan 28, 2012
FL
Based on my experimentation, I would slap the best power cord from the power conditioner to the wall. Then the second best cord on your amp, which will do its best to clean up a lot of the grunge your amp is generating and sending back into the electrical system, and then the 3rd best on your source to clean up as much of the electric schmutz that the power conditioner and the amp cord don't.

Caesar,

Your suggestion is most logical. I too have been doing that for most of my "audiophile life". In fact, I was also plugging my amps into my Silver Circle 5.0 as it is an isolation transformer and should mitigate the energy issues we have here in FL and allow for whatever power requirements are needed by the amp at any time. It was ONLY after taking delivery of the Concert Grands that it was recommended that I plug the REF75 direct into the wall and ONLY after I was given a loaner Odin power cord that it was recommended that I use it direct on the amp and plug it direct into the outlet, which as I said is the Rhodium Furutech. In this situation I have compared alternatives and can vouch that Carl's recommendation is the one that works for my system. It again flies against logic and I too would have believe that the Odin should be used to the Silver Circle and my secondary cords from the Silver Circle to the components BUT in my system that is not the best scenario. I am a believer in power cords but have never witnessed such as difference among power cords as what I now hearing. It is pretty remarkable. Stupidly expensive and now that I have heard it, how do I go back?? I am right now demoing a 2.5 meter cable which many claim is the "right length" for "based on physics" but the 1.25 meter for me would be somewhat affordable "based on economics" since the list price for the former is 16K and the latter is 11K, last I looked. Anyone have experience as to differences in lengths and the "correct and recommended length" a power cord should have??

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing