New Pocket Camera

mauidan

Member Sponsor
Aug 2, 2010
Pukalani, HI
My Sony Cyber-shot (3.2 Mega Pixels) died.

I'd appreciate your replacement recommendations.

Thanks,

Dan

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Canon G12 or Lumix LX3 :)

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
I replaced it with a Nikon D3000, not a pocket camera but worths the time and effort to carry it all over the place.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
The Canon G12 is a terrific camera but so also is the Canon S90. Very small and compact but full of features and worth the money. I bought one for my daugher to take to Australia last summer and her pix were wonderful

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Panasonic

rblnr

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 3, 2010
NYC/NJ
The LX3 has been replaced by the LX5, the S90 by the S95. It's really a size issue and whether or not it's your main camera. If I don't want to carry around my DSLR, then I want something high quality that can fit in my pocket -- the S90 does and that's what I bought (after much debate vs. the LX3). The LX5 is just a bit too large for that -- needs, say a cargo pocket and is heavier too. Though I love the adjustable aspect ratio on the LX5 and some other features vs. the S90, bottom line was that for when I'm going out with a pocket camera, I want a truly pocketable one.

So as a DSLR owner, the G12, significantly larger and heavier than all the aforementioned, doesn't make sense for me. It's tweener in utility -- not truly pocketable so I'm likely using a case, and lacking the image quality and flexibility of a DSLR. Major advantage over the LX3/5, S90/95 is greater zoom range. It's an excellent camera, but I'd rather just grab my DSLR at that point.

Here's a great comparison of the cameras:

http://bythom.com/compactHQ1.htm

You'll notice in a sidebar he says that the S90/95 has essentially the same image quality as the G12.

Kal Rubinson

May 4, 2010
NYC
www.stereophile.com
I went through the same logic and ended up with the Canon S95 and I am very happy with it. I like the options, the image quality and the size. During my deliberations, I made a point of put each of the mentioned cameras in my jacket pocket and, frankly, the S95 is the only one that fit comfortably.

rblnr

May 3, 2010
NYC/NJ
You might find this 'handy' for your S95:

http://www.kleptography.com/rf/

doesn't extend past the lens on my S90 so doesn't appreciably affect pocketability.

Jay_S

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
San Francisco - East Bay
I agree with the smaller is better view. If I am going to carry a G12, I may as well substitute a DSLR. On the DSLR side, I prefer a small and light DX body over a heavy full-frame. If I don't bring the camera, the picture won't get taken. (Whether it should get taken is a different issue!)

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
I do find a good use for my G10. It fits my travel bag and adds almost no weight or take up much space. A DSLR with one lens is quite a bit bigger and heavier and barely fits in my backpack.

That said, I am not sure if I would buy it again. Once you are spoiled by the superb noise performance of DSLR, it is hard to go back. At the end of the day, the camera is really a point and shoot device and so maybe having it with more bells and whistles is not all that useful.

One advice I do have is to get the one with the widest angle lens. I find that they usually aren't wide enough. I rarely use point and shoot cameras to shoot wildlife and such :). Its main use is social and here, you want to take shots of many people or in smaller spaces. Image stabilization is another super useful feature.

Kal Rubinson

May 4, 2010
NYC
www.stereophile.com
What precipitated the purchase of the S95 was my experience at shows like CEDIA/CES where schlepping a large camera meant neck fatigue or the burden of a large shoulder bag for the camera and whatever stuff I picked up. The latter meant rooting around for the camera when I needed it and, once, I actually left it at a CES demo room. I had to track back until, fortunately, I found it. Having a decent camera that was actually pocketable will make all that so much easier.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
I should say that someone should build the perfect show camera. There, you don't want to use flash. The reflections screw things up, including be able to read the signs and such. One needs a very sensitive sensor. Resolution is not important so the sensor could be down sized for better low light fidelity.

Absence that, I override flash and rely on steady hand and image stabilization to get good pictures. Another trick I use is to fire off multiple shots as one of them is likely to be sharp even if the rest are not.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
I have not looked carefully but I don't recall my G10 having articulated LCD but the new one has it. In the review that was posted though, it mentioned the new one has worse noise performance! Perhaps looking on ebay for a used G10 is a better route to go!

rblnr

May 3, 2010
NYC/NJ
What precipitated the purchase of the S95 was my experience at shows like CEDIA/CES where schlepping a large camera meant neck fatigue or the burden of a large shoulder bag for the camera and whatever stuff I picked up. The latter meant rooting around for the camera when I needed it and, once, I actually left it at a CES demo room. I had to track back until, fortunately, I found it. Having a decent camera that was actually pocketable will make all that so much easier.

Yep, I'll be with my S90 at CES. Handy too for on set pictures while I'm working. I'm also in the habit of carrying around a camera day-to-day in the city if I happen upon something -- the best IQ in the smallest package is what I want for this.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing