New Dedicated Listening Room

Maril555

Jun 26, 2014
Next week I am bringing some stuff to the RV garage. I can't get in the house. The prior owners are there till May 1st. Part of our Off Market offer.
Looking forward to seeing your project in progress

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
Looking forward to seeing your project in progress
I like the speakers in your avatar. I hope to gravitate to something like that in the future. My biggest concern is the crossover. If I get there, I will need to start a thread to get the best route to make it work.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Sounds very cool Rex. Great project with what sounds like many options. Congratulations. You will have a lot of fun and learn a lot.

Regarding the room within a room: Depending on construction, I would opt for as large a room as possible, especially if you are thinking of going the horn route eventually. High ceilings are good. 12" is not that high. I would consider coffered ceiling with perhaps a thin layer of sound proofing for upstairs, but you could always build up the floor there and add carpeting instead.

I like the idea of not building in any treatment. A large room offers options for positioning and optimizing. Then add treatments only if necessary, but you might be surprised at how few you need. Integrate shelving for LPs, artwork on walls, wood panels, etc. Perhaps a separate space for gear to get it out of the room or far from the speakers. A bar sounds cool. So many options.

It will be fun to watch your progress. The natural beauty on those islands is great. I spent some childhood vacations on Orcas Island before it was discovered. Lots of land with no neighbors to hunt and fish in lakes built by damning up streams. Clamming on the beach.

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
This is what the property and back of house look like.

Attachments

• 20240314_130808.jpg
    20240314_130808.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 97
  • 20240314_130748.jpg
    20240314_130748.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 94

John T

Feb 15, 2022

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
Marty like to run room calculations. I will bounce some off him. Maybe pay Hedbeck or Norm to do a more formal layout. I can leave the ceiling high and put the RSC and dryall on it. Its made to isolate rooms.

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
Raised beds for your garden. Perfect!!
Im going to expand them. I want to try grains in the lower field. Maybe make bread or whiskey. I don't drink beer. I need to knock down the mowing.

The entire 3.5 acre in the back is fenced. The prior owner had a dog training business. I'm stoked about that. My poodle can do as poodle do. Maybe fetch me a rabbit.

I think it would be fun to put a track with a fake rabbit on a wire to race dogs. That would be an exciting community event.

Reactions: John T

John T

Feb 15, 2022
Im going to expand them. I want to try grains in the lower field. Maybe make bread or whiskey. I don't drink beer. I need to knock down the mowing.

The entire 3.5 acre in the back is fenced. The prior owner had a dog training business. I'm stoked about that. My poodle can do as poodle do. Maybe fetch me a rabbit.

I think it would be fun to put a track with a fake rabbit on a wire to race dogs. That would be an exciting community event.
I've never grown it but several of the farmers here grow Red Winter Wheat. Not sure if it's grown in the PNW?

Tuckers

VIP/Donor
Nov 18, 2020
When building your room to be non-obvious from an audio point of view, here's an idea. I put in custom built in maple cabinetry where the obvious bass traps placement were. Some have sliding doors, some are open. As most have records or CDs in them, they make very nice bass traps, and I have no obvious room nodes.

Reactions: Johan K

Maril555

Jun 26, 2014
I like the speakers in your avatar. I hope to gravitate to something like that in the future. My biggest concern is the crossover. If I get there, I will need to start a thread to get the best route to make it work.
thank you,
Crossover is actually an easy part- there are essentially two options- very simple 1st order series x-over, one cap, one coil and two resistors , that’s what I’m using at the moment
Second option is Hiraga designed 2nd order parallel x-over, I have one made by Pete Riggle using vintage PIO caps. Haven’t tested it yet, but the reviews of the owners are very positive (Jeff Day of Positive Feedback online and many others).

2fastdriving

Jan 19, 2023
Wow! Congrats Rex! Looking forward to visiting you.

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
thank you,
Crossover is actually an easy part- there are essentially two options- very simple 1st order series x-over, one cap, one coil and two resistors , that’s what I’m using at the moment
Second option is Hiraga designed 2nd order parallel x-over, I have one made by Pete Riggle using vintage PIO caps. Haven’t tested it yet, but the reviews of the owners are very positive (Jeff Day of Positive Feedback online and many others).
You forgot analog active and multiple amps

Reactions: SCAudiophile

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Congratulations, Rex! That's an amazing project!

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Well, it's finally coming true. My wife has 'Re-purposed" her life from the corporate grind. That means the anchor of the city no longer holds us.
How long were you nudging her to leave her job so you could set up your dream system

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
How long were you nudging her to leave her job so you could set up your dream system
… as if there could be any ulterior (or audiophile interior) motives :eek:

• Haha
Reactions: SCAudiophile

SCAudiophile

Sep 11, 2010
Greer South Carolina (USA)
Congratulations Rex, what a beautiful place! I am very happy for you both; I know you've been on the hunt for quite some time now...

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
Haaaaa. Once the options were vested. Its all about the options. Shes a gold mine.
We are well aligned on what we want from our home. She is still slightly suspect of my conversion of the garage. But she likes a house with destinations and guest rooms. So making the garage a media room and leaving the space above a guest loft is a plus to her. We still have rhe 3 bay RV garage to park her Poesche Cayman S. My ML550 can stay outdoors. I might make a carport.

Macattack

VIP/Donor
Aug 21, 2014
SC Low country
So exciting Rex. Congratulations and good luck. There is a long list of rewarding work there.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing