Replacement stylus or cartridge for ancient Ortofon LM20?

Otherchuck

Jan 13, 2017
Greetings all!

I have a Technics SL-D3 turntable with an Ortofon LM-20 cartridge that I bought around the mid-80's. I used that turntable alot back then until I switched over to CD's in the early 90's. For the last 30+ yrs, that turntable has played maybe 6 vinyl albums per year, and I am always struck by how crummy it sounds. I detect lots of distortion, so I presume the stylus is shot. I want to rehabilitate it now, so I can bring my massive vinyl collection back into the rotation.

One question I have is, how do I know if I should get a new cartridge+stylus versus just a new stylus? I saw some commentary that cartridges can get old and need to be replaced after some years, but I am wondering if that is generally true? It seems far more likely to me that, over time, the stylus is the more obvious replacement necessity. Yes? No? But if I do just replace the stylus, what would be a good stylus to pair with that cartridge?

I should say that even if I rehab my turntable, it is never gonna be my main source of music, not even close; I would love to bring it back into the rotation, but there is no sense in me paying tons of money for a turntable I use infrequently. So my goal here is not to get some super awesome, high-end, audiophilic cartridge/stylus that will reveal amazing nuance in the high and low ends; I just want something capable and robust enough to resist distortion. Overall, I do have audiophilc tendencies...I might describe myself as an "audiophile-lite." But in terms of getting this turntable back in play, I think my standards are more like "capable" than "audiophilic." I mention that partly becuz it might affect whether I should get a cartridge/stylus combo, versus some type of stylus...conical, elliptical, shibata, etc...to pair with my Ortofon cartridge.

Yes, I confess, whatever knowledge I had about turntable technology 40 yrs ago has since gone fallow, so I appreciate any guidance at all regarding my current turntable rehab project!

Otherchuck

Another Johnson

VIP/Donor
Jan 13, 2022
Music City, USA aka Nashville
A replacement stylus is a bit over $100 if I’ve not misread something.

Try it and see what you think.

If it were me, I’d bin it and get a new body too. There are a lot of MI and MM options below $500 that would serve your purposes.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing