Natural Sound

awsmone

Apr 6, 2014
Canberra Australia
I can tell you one thing: WBF has an impact on the market.
I blame David really, and PeterA

lets start a trash talk thread on Lamm , so I can afford them ;), luckily I got a m1.2 from a guy who didn’t know what he had , but took a while to find a synergistic speaker …

the Lamm ‘ASR ‘ you don’t Measure well ‘trash talk ‘ thread …because measurements are “the be all & end all “…

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: tima

Fishfood

VIP/Donor
Jul 11, 2020
I blame David really, and PeterA

lets start a trash talk thread on Lamm , so I can afford them ;), luckily I got a m1.2 from a guy who didn’t know what he had , but took a while to find a synergistic speaker …

the Lamm ‘ASR ‘ you don’t Measure well ‘trash talk ‘ thread …because measurements are “the be all & end all “…
Two best ways to find Lamm components: Either didn't know what he had guy or divorcing guy who doesn't care how much he gets as long as she doesn't get the money.

I got mine from the latter. Had a chance for the M1.2s but don't have space until we move.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Here is a new video I just made of Sonny Rollins, Way Out West. The cartridge is breaking in nicely and I fine tuned it yesterday. It has about 25 hours on it now. There is a substantial increase in what David refers to as "mass" on this video, which is from the AS2000. The Ortofon SL-15 has it too. The surprising thing to me is that this video is with my new Colibri Elite. The old Master Signature and even Grand Cru did not have this quality. The bass quality from the system comes through clearly on the video, as does the impact from the drums and brass character of the cymbals. I move the iPhone around the room in the middle of the video and those qualities remain.

Also fascinating to me is that this recording is the older 1988 reissue pressing on thinner vinyl purported to be very rather bright or hot sounding. I don't hear it here.

Fishfood

VIP/Donor
Jul 11, 2020
Here is a new video I just made of Sonny Rollins, Way Out West. The cartridge is breaking in nicely and I fine tuned it yesterday. It has about 25 hours on it now. There is a substantial increase in what David refers to as "mass" on this video, which is from the AS2000. The Ortofon SL-15 has it too. The surprising thing to me is that this video is with my new Colibri Elite. The old Master Signature and even Grand Cru did not have this quality. The bass quality from the system comes through clearly on the video, as does the impact from the drums and brass character of the cymbals. I move the iPhone around the room in the middle of the video and those qualities remain.

Also fascinating to me is that this recording is the older 1988 reissue pressing on thinner vinyl purported to be very rather bright or hot sounding. I don't hear it here.

To be fair, that cut sounds good even on my (in comparison) crappy system :)

The balance and weight is spectacular, even from the video. Really awesome, Peter!

My old audiophile uncle just pulled an SL-15 out of his treasure chest. Can't wait to give it a try when my 401/Schrøder CB is ready- it's taking forever.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
To be fair, that cut sounds good even on my (in comparison) crappy system :)

The balance and weight is spectacular, even from the video. Really awesome, Peter!

My old audiophile uncle just pulled an SL-15 out of his treasure chest. Can't wait to give it a try when my 401/Schrøder CB is ready- it's taking forever.

Thanks Fishfood. Be patient, the wait for that cartridge will be worth it.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
That’s very interesting
can u show us the jig plz?

It is basically inspired in the conrad johnson triode preamplifiers, but fitted individually with sensing resistors in the tube electrodes. I use it with additional Fluke voltmeters and a Spectraplus signal generator / spectrum analyzer.

The solid state power supply is regulated.

a1.jpg

Reactions: awsmone

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
I can tell you one thing: WBF has an impact on the market. In 2021 it was not uncommon to find one or two for sale with some frequency. The more we've chatted up the Lamm ML2/2.1/2.2 the fewer of these amps are found today in used condition for sale in North America.

My interest in these amps is long term - I started a thread about matching speakers for the ML2.x back in 2018. The ML2 came out towards the end of 1998 at $30k/pair with ML2.1 arriving 2004 at about the same price. 2020 msrp for the ML2.2: ~$46k USD. For the past 9 months I've been following the used market for these monoblocks. It is within the last 6 months that US availability grew scarce. Today used prices for ML2.1/2.2 run ~$14k - 20k - if you can find a pair. I think $14-15k is something of a bargain for what they are.

Being a world-wide market and world-wide forum, there are examples for sale outside the US:

(picture is M1.2)

Unfortunately I can't be so optimist as you considering resale value of Lamm gear. :(

I am waiting the end of the summer vacation to start advertising my LL1- ML3 again. But as long a the Lamm factory has not restarted normal operation again many people fear buying them.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Unfortunately I can't be so optimist as you considering resale value of Lamm gear. :(

I am waiting the end of the summer vacation to start advertising my LL1- ML3 again. But as long a the Lamm factory has not restarted normal operation again many people fear buying them.

do people not buy used gear during summer vacation

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
In a way, remotes are a distraction.

IMHO remotes are mandatory. Many times we only set the level after the music starts and this is better done from the listening position. Also I am not behaving like a "serious" listener all the time and the remote is very useful.

Surely I did not need the remote when I had the Cello Audio Pallette - it was placed close to me, on a stand fitted with castors using long Cello strings (30 feet). Still regret a lot having sold it.

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
I defer to the designer of the preamplifier. Vladimir Lamm did not provide a remote for a reason. He clearly did not consider it mandatory, and I’m just saying that having lived with my gear now for a year and a half, I don’t miss the remote.

Not having a remote is the purist approach of course. Adding in the ability to adjust with a remote poses a not insignificant additional challenge (and components) that will have a deleterious impact on the sound unless extreme care is taken.

Reactions: Ron Resnick

dcathro

Sep 16, 2016
Melbourne, Australia
Not having a remote is the purist approach of course. Adding in the ability to adjust with a remote poses a not insignificant additional challenge (and components) that will have a deleterious impact on the sound unless extreme care is taken.
My Pre had a crude remote controlled pot. I replaced it with a shunt attenuator for better sound. Quite happy to get of the couch to change the volume. I think convenience will always have a price.

Reactions: Audiophile Bill

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

We should respect the designer intentions - probably Vladimir Lamm did not like remotes and thought they were not needed.

But adding a step motor connected to the quality attenuator staff controlled by a circuit that is only active when it receives a signal is not rocket science and can easily be done - Atmasphere and Ayre do it elegantly in their top preamplifiers.

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
We should respect the designer intentions - probably Vladimir Lamm did not like remotes and thought they were not needed.

But adding a step motor connected to the quality attenuator staff controlled by a circuit that is only active when it receives a signal is not rocket science and can easily be done - Atmasphere and Ayre do it elegantly in their top preamplifiers.

Yes so many manufacturers don’t and get it wrong!

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany
Get a plug-in power adapter, install a small outlet(dc) on the back of the device. Use this potentiometer. Also has a nice metal remote control. Never use voltage from the audio circuit. The easiest way to retrofit a remote control. the best poti I know.
Khozmo
3.png

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing