Natural Sound

Fishfood

VIP/Donor
Jul 11, 2020
I have learned about some wonderful music from various threads here on WBF. I thought I would share another videos and return the favor. Here is one of my favorite LPs: Virtuoso Clarinet (Bis LP-62 stereo). I attempted to learn the clarinet in boarding school in the late 1970s. I never got any good at it, but one thing that sticks with me is that big, airy, reedy tone from my old clarinet. I have always found this hard to reproduce, that rich, reedy sound and the air resonating in the wooden body. I think woodwinds in general are kind of tough to get the tone right.

Here are two wonderful short pieces by Ingvar Lidholm and then Bernhard Henrik Crusell of clarinet music with some piano in the latter piece. There is just so much music out there, and I am now in music exploration mode. Perhaps some will like this.

EDIT: I should add that the last few videos, in my opinion, do convey the character of the sound I am hearing in my room, in terms of balance and sense of energy. The sheer scale and resolution are a bit truncated, but still, there are sufficient hints. And this from a 60 year old cartridge that has never been used. Only forty hours on it so far.

I agree with your assessment that the scale and resolution are somewhat truncated but after going back and forth with my AnaMighty DL103, which has those things, I'm finding that I am enjoying the smaller image more right now. It becomes more about the music and less about putting on a reproduction show. I'm excited to have started my collection of vintage cartridges with this one. Looking at a Signet right now to compliment it. Ultimately I may end up swapping out my Schroder CB for a 3012 to take advantage of headshell swapping.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
I agree with your assessment that the scale and resolution are somewhat truncated but after going back and forth with my AnaMighty DL103, which has those things, I'm finding that I am enjoying the smaller image more right now. It becomes more about the music and less about putting on a reproduction show. I'm excited to have started my collection of vintage cartridges with this one. Looking at a Signet right now to compliment it. Ultimately I may end up swapping out my Schroder CB for a 3012 to take advantage of headshell swapping.

To be clear, the scale and resolution being truncated is a comment regarding the video versus what I am hearing live in the room. The cartridge is not truncating scale and resolution. Perhaps I am misunderstanding your comment.

The videos are meant to supplement the written description to provide more comprehensive information to the reader. Videos are not the same as listening to the system live, but I am finding they are a pretty good representation of what I am hearing. I just wanted to mention the obvious differences for those who have not heard my system.

You should definitely try and SME 3012R tonearm.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
In what way(s) does the sound improve slightly in the colder months?

To what do you attribute this phenomenon?

Ron, I find the sound becomes a little bit clearer and more open. I have no idea about the reasons, but I suspect it has something to do with the moisture content in the air and perhaps temperature affecting the compliance of moving parts like the cartridge suspension and paper woofer. It’s just a guess and I could be completely wrong. It might just be the mood and physical comfort of sitting on the sofa in a room at a more reasonable temperature.

Member Al M. observed the same thing in his system. Other people have more strictly controlled moisture and temperatures with air conditioning and may not notice a change with the seasons.

rando

Sep 22, 2019
Peter or David

How long were these speakers stored in a much drier and higher climate in Utah?

Returning to the initial block of posts. On which I commented the five remaining blank posts might have been utilized at a rate of one a year. Recognition of the amount of material changes that take place is something I'd expect to normalize within that period. It was these types of changes I'd hoped to find being compiled outside the scope of daily conversation.

That your improved performance so neatly aligns with listening season is a boon.

Reactions: tima and PeterA

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Regarding videos, I am now simply listening to them on my computer without headphones. They are more representative of what I hear live in the room from my system. My Sennheiser HD 580 headphones attenuated the volume to a degree that I had to either use a headphone amp to amplify the signal or record the videos at a much higher volume for listening to them directly plugged into my iMac desktop.

The result of listening directly to the computer means that I can record the videos at my general in room listening volume, or just slightly more, and not overload the iPhone internal mic. The sound is cleaner. I think this has helped the videos better represent what I am hearing.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Peter or David

Returning to the initial block of posts. On which I commented the five remaining blank posts might have been utilized at a rate of one a year. Recognition of the amount of material changes that take place is something I'd expect to normalize within that period. It was these types of changes I'd hoped to find being compiled outside the scope of daily conversation.

That your improved performance so neatly aligns with listening season is a boon.

Rando, David knows about the history of these particular two speakers and might answer that question.

I had reserved those posts for anything that might come up in the future. Unfortunately, the edit option runs out after a few days, so I can't go back to them now. I could likely reopen them with help from admin. I do really like the idea that one could present his system in one or two pages with videos or not and then close it, or restrict comments, so that it stands alone as a document for reference for those interested without expansion or discussion. But there is also something nice that comes out of these exchanges over time, minus the bickering and off topic stuff of course.

Reactions: rando

rando

Sep 22, 2019
I had reserved those posts for anything that might come up in the future. Unfortunately, the edit option runs out after a few days, so I can't go back to them now. I could likely reopen them with help from admin

At the time this was question being posed. Somehow I suspected despite it being unorthodox the admins would give it consideration in your case. Where sufficient acumen in describing a paradigm shift would find better expression in sequence. I see no responsible means of voiding what currently fills those spaces. No need.

I do really like the idea that one could present his system in one or two pages with videos or not and then close it, or restrict comments, so that it stands alone as a document for reference for those interested without expansion or discussion. But there is also something nice that comes out of these exchanges over time, minus the bickering and off topic stuff of course.

Therein lies the difference between a forum and personal blog. My only hope in revisiting this was to reacquaint you with the idea a larger scale view of less contentious material occurring at set periods would allow for both open discussion and closure. We have a search function that could be harnessed to make them unique enough few other results appeared.

Just a thought for your consideration. :)

Reactions: PeterA

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
Peter or David

Hi Rando,
Peter’s pair is early version from the late 50’s, you know from the cabinet design, materials and components. I bought the first one in Japan around 2002, it was in storage and is absolutely pristine, the widow said it belonged to her late husband and he had when they first met in 60’s but went into storage sometime in late 60’s when they moved to Tokyo and never had the space to bring it out again. Then it sat in my homes unplayed until I found the matching one in PA a few months prior to Peter’s visit. According to the owner he bought his in Japan when he was stationed there in the 60’s, I know that it was in storage for years before he decided to sell but I don’t know how long for or where but it did smell like damp.

IME vintage speakers take at least 6 months or more of constant play to settle in if they were sitting for a long time. I can tell you that they oboy had a few hours on them from Peter playing them here before he took them home. After that is the usual system deal of working on setup and eliminating bottlenecks as you hear it in his videos. I think pretty well documented too for anyone interested.

david

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
There is a hurricane up in Canada. With it come strong winds for sailing and a clearer sound in the listening room. It has been in the high 50s all weekend here.

This evening’s sail. Great conditions because the wind was high but the ocean was flat because of the wind direction.

1664064599399.jpeg

Last edited:

awsmone

Apr 6, 2014
Canberra Australia
To what do you attribute this phenomenon?
Ron, I believe in a horn, the colder air is denser, and changes the impedance in the throat of horn, and is thus more efficient as there is less of an impedance mismatch between the driver and the horn throat air

Reactions: cdk84

awsmone

Apr 6, 2014
Canberra Australia
There is a hurricane up in Canada. With it come strong winds for sailing and a clearer sound in the listening room. It has been in the high 50s all weekend here.
That hurricane looks nasty 500,000 people without power, awful storm surges, I didn’t know Canada got hurricanes that far North ?
we get cyclones but nearly always in our Northern states or parts there of, they don’t so far go South !

Reactions: PeterA

awsmone

Apr 6, 2014
Canberra Australia
Here is some Schnittke cello and piano for a different mood from my system:

Dear Peter Thank you for this music, I found the recording in Australia , and will order it
these are the reasons this thread still has legs, and appreciate your point about woodwind “woodiness” something I look for in reproduction
this thread has served to me as a guide and reinforced that I am on the right path , and I thank and congratulate you for this thread !

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
Ron, I believe in a horn, the colder air is denser, and changes the impedance in the throat of horn, and is thus more efficient as there is less of an impedance mismatch between the driver and the horn throat air
It’s the difference between summer and other season’s electricity. Has a big impact here, didn’t notice it when I lived in Thailand.

david

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Interesting! I was thinking you were going to say it had to do with resonance due to the effect of humidity on the wood cabinetry.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
It’s the difference between summer and other season’s electricity. Has a big impact here, didn’t notice it when I lived in Thailand.

david

Now this is a very interesting comment and one that never occurred to me. Is that like systems sounding better in the evenings when there’s less use on the grid? I know there has been no air conditioning in the last few days.

There is often great information coming in these discussions.

Last edited:

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
Now this is a very interesting comment and one that never occurred to me. Is that like systems sounding better in the evenings when there’s less use on the grid? I know there has been no air conditioning in the last few days.

There is often great information coming in these discussions but others consider this thread to be very harmful. I don’t get that.
Heard many theories including air conditioners but they don’t add up. I don’t know all the causes only how to counteract enough of the side effects to keep systems enjoyable.

david

Reactions: cdk84 and PeterA

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing