Natural Sound

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
A
What pre are u using ?

For now, I'm using a Lamm L2.1 Reference two chassis which is here for review. Solid state amplification with tube rectifier and regulator in the power supply -- a relatively uncommon division of labor. I used an ARC Ref 10 linestage for several years.

awsmone

Apr 6, 2014
Canberra Australia
Strange combination to be sure
i am using a passive TVC , based on western electric transformer if memory serves, it’s not made anymore, and I love it :) 732F99CC-B5F3-4B30-B518-C4EAD1F04B42.jpeg

awsmone

Apr 6, 2014
Canberra Australia
A

For now, I'm using a Lamm L2.1 Reference two chassis which is here for review. Solid state amplification with tube rectifier and regulator in the power supply -- a relatively uncommon division of labor. I used an ARC Ref 10 linestage for several years.
I think Tim u should send on to me for a second opinion as 4 ears are better than 2 by 1.414 lol

Reactions: tima and Lagonda

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
The beauty, power, and scale of nature.

I was out on the water for an evening sail yesterday and took these two photos. The first is of a fleet of Star boats coming in after a long day of racing. You can barely see the 90 boats stretching way off in the distance. The world championships are being held in our waters for the next nine days. It is an olympic class, so it is highly competitive with the best teams from around the world.

The second image is of a rock a couple of miles off shore. Our kids used to sail their tiny boats out here and then climb up the rock and jump off the back side. Quite treacherous if you ask me. It is about a thirty foot drop. There is often a family of seals here.

IMG_3754.JPG

IMG_3760.JPG

Last edited:

awsmone

Apr 6, 2014
Canberra Australia
Morning Peter

not meaning to derail your thread, just sympatico with Lamm “natural sound” which I would call timbrally quite good at illusion of real instruments this is the same basis as you, extensive experience of real instruments imho
I was watching your videos last night, and had a query for you, what was the difference between Bach Violin A and B

many thanks

ps I checked and the madrigal does have western electric transformers , mine has had some alterations with choice of silver or copper wiring

Reactions: PeterA

awsmone

Apr 6, 2014
Canberra Australia
The beauty, power, and scale of nature.

I was out on the water for an evening sail yesterday and took these two photos. The first is of a fleet of Star boats coming in after a long day of racing. You can barely see the 90 boats stretching way off in the distance. The world championships are being held in our waters for the next nine days. It is an olympic class, so it is highly competitive with the best teams from around the world.

The second image is of a rock a couple of miles off shore. Our kids used to sail their tiny boats out here and then climb up the rock and jump off the back side. Quite treacherous if you ask me. It is about a thirty foot drop. There is often a family of seals here.

View attachment 97855

View attachment 97856
Great photos Peter, where is this ?

awsmone

Apr 6, 2014
Canberra Australia
As I suspected Ked was onto to me about this purchase as soon as I revealed , not sure he will take my opinions seriously anymore ;) lol
still have my horns, Esl57 and Fatladies, which are in the bedroom system as use to watch music videos

Reactions: Bobvin

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Great photos Peter, where is this ?

Thank you. These photographs are from the waters off of Salem and Marblehead Massachusetts. The second photograph is of Half Way Rock, named because it is halfway between Boston and Gloucester Massachusetts. 15 miles by sea to each. The water goes straight down 100 feet around this rock.

Here is another one from my mooring. I had just returned from sailing around in a fog bank but the sun was setting and the fog lifted just in time for this photograph.

1663113699424.jpeg

Last edited:

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
A

I have often tried the Lamm L2 ref versus the ARC REF40. Very different sounding, as we could expect. The REF40 and the REF10 use a lot of 6h30 triodes in the amplification stage, the L2ref use MosFets for this function.

The topology of the tube power supplies is different in each preamplifier.

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
I have often tried the Lamm L2 ref versus the ARC REF40. Very different sounding, as we could expect. The REF40 and the REF10 use a lot of 6h30 triodes in the amplification stage, the L2ref use MosFets for this function.

The topology of the tube power supplies is different in each preamplifier.

The 6H30 became popular, starting with Viktor Kramenko and BAT. The 1st ARC Reference Phono (circa 2000) used 11 6922s. The 2nd ARC Reference Phono used 2 6H30s per channel.

The Ref 10 uses 8 6H30 in its amplifier with 1 6H30 per channel in the power supply. Same for the Ref10 Phono.

The Lamm LL1.1 uses 8 6H30 triodes in the signal path (4 per channel).

I tried the ARC Ref 10 with the Lamm LP1 and the ARC Ref 10 Phono with the Lamm L2.1 Ref. I preferred the ARC with ARC, and Lamm with Lamm. In the not too distant future I'll bring in the Lamm LL1.1, which you and Peter have.

I don't know if it is fair to say the difference in ARC and Lamm sound is not due to the character of 6H30. Perhaps moreso due to the differences in their power supplies.

Would you describe sonic differences you hear between the L2 Ref and LL1.1 Signature?

Reactions: christoph

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Capturing a quote from another audio forum as a graphic and bringing it here to chastise a WBF forum member with what he wrote elsewhere is rather tacky, don't you think?

I think inserting such an off topic and irrelevant post in someone’s personal system thread is not only misguided, it reveals much more about Henry than it does about David.

Reactions: Ron Resnick and ddk

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
I packed up the Micro Seiki SX8000 II and the original American Sound AS1000 to make room for the new AS2000. I am very grateful for having had the opportunity to compare these three turntables in my system. I lived with the SX 8000 II for about a year and a half and had the AS1000 for about a month. Here are some photos of the turntables in the room, the nine boxes/crates/Pelican case of those two tables awaiting David's shipping company, and the two new Pelican cases for the AS2000. They were picked up and put on pallets for shipping back to Utah and I am told that they arrived safely. Member cdk84 was here for the unpacking and listening comparisons of all three tables, and repacking of the two that were sent off. I appreciate having his help and discussing his listening impressions. The whole process was a very worthwhile learning experience. All three tables are fantastic, but they do sound different, and understanding those differences, and getting to experience them in my own system was a real treat.

View attachment 97739

View attachment 97740

View attachment 97742

View attachment 97743
Your old floor is going to give way under the weight. You have to have 1000 lbs sitting there. Maybe a little more.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Your old floor is going to give way under the weight. You have to have 1000 lbs sitting there. Maybe a little more.

I considered this. 950 lbs on top shelf, plus 750 lbs for rack and rest of gear, 1700 total weight at the rack. This is excluding the speakers and amplifiers and their separate stands. I installed a steel column under each of the four rack posts going down to the bedrock in the basement. I am not worried about my old floor.

1663275607029.jpeg

1663275645959.jpeg

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing