Natural Sound

awsmone

Apr 6, 2014
Canberra Australia
Natural sound is what David Karmeli heard the first time he listened to Lamm ML2 amplifiers. He asked Vladimir, “What is that?“ Vladimir said, “natural sound “.
Hi Peter
enjoying your thread as always and the new turntable is “‘imposing” !
I had a bit of a DDK moment myself
i have owned a pair of lamm m1.2 for a while, but never warmed to it as I have told David
I recently changed the input tube, with something highly exotic for a bit of fun, I told Tima about it
suddenly my system sounds so much more like real instruments and people singing I was quite taken aback with the improvement overall 77FFE2C1-6B23-47C0-AD65-D1E490932407.jpeg

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
Hi Peter
i have owned a pair of lamm m1.2 for a while, but never warmed to it as I have told David
I recently changed the input tube, with something highly exotic for a bit of fun, I told Tima about it
suddenly my system sounds so much more like real instruments and people singing I was quite taken aback with the improvement overall View attachment 97811
What tube is that? Looks like some kind of DHT. What mods did you have to do to get that to work?

awsmone

Apr 6, 2014
Canberra Australia
It’s a 6f8g a high quality 6sn7 substitute and I use a small adapter boards in the pin bases to fit
I tested in an old audio note dac that uses 6922 for a month to check no problems
and so far running well E9CA1858-EF5C-4438-82FF-A4C99F09E025.jpeg

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
Hi Peter
suddenly my system sounds so much more like real instruments and people singing I was quite taken aback with the improvement overall View attachment 97811
Is this a VT99 variant?
With adapter to 6922?

Reactions: tima

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
It’s a 6f8g a high quality 6sn7 substitute and I use a small adapter boards in the pin bases to fit
I tested in an old audio note dac that uses 6922 for a month to check no problems
and so far running well View attachment 97816
Looks like a 6SN7 in a 45 glass bulb!

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Ah yes - I keep forgetting. It must be very quiet to be that close. I don't hear extraneous noise in Peter's videos.

Yes, it is very quiet, but I wanted to free up some space, so I put it in the basement. I control it with a wireless remote trigger. Great solution. This pump can run for weeks with the platter spinning without any issues. Amazing.

christoph

Dec 11, 2015

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
Yes, it is very quiet, but I wanted to free up some space, so I put it in the basement. I control it with a wireless remote trigger. Great solution. This pump can run for weeks with the platter spinning without any issues. Amazing.
I have my Stanley shop oil-less 15 bar compressor running in a acoustically isolated room far away in the attic. I start it up with a wifi remote outlet. Dead silent when it runs, 1 minute every 40 minutes. It has a large expansion tank. The light dimm a little when it starts up !:)

awsmone

Apr 6, 2014
Canberra Australia
Does it sound rather voluptuous, compared to the usual ECC88/6922?
Instruments have wonderful timbre, cello have a wood and resin air to them, piano a wonderful “ivory” decay, brass and cymbals a burnished quality
instruments have a solidity and inner depth which is enchanting and a sense of surrounding air and decay
voices an immediacy and presence that is striking at times and an intimacy
pluck strings have a beginning middle and wooden body finish to them
it’s the best sound I have heard
resolution seems to be in the instrument or voice rather than on top of it , is how I best describe it …..
6922 I have tried seem “flat“ in comparison is how I would describe them though I admit I haven’t tried the megabucks NOS 6922 which may be better , though these(6f8g) are readily available as are the adapters
very fast without sounding harsh, eg Solea by Mike’s Davis‘s Sketches from Spain his trumpet is intense without being garish

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: christoph and tima

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
In a few years it will sound like a small fridge. ;) Doesnt bother me from 6 meters away though.

Reactions: Lagonda

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
In a few years it will sound like a small fridge. ;) Doesnt bother me from 6 meters away though.
The compressor that was delivered with my TT originally, was a fridge compressor built into a wooden box, the size of a large birdhouse.:eek: It was oil lubricated , made the whole house smell like a mechanics garage, and died 2 days after delivery !:rolleyes:

• Sad
Reactions: tima and christoph

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
Instruments have wonderful timbre, cello have a wood and resin air to them, piano a wonderful “ivory” decay, brass and cymbals a burnished quality
instruments have a solidity and inner depth which is enchanting and a sense of surrounding air and decay
resolution seems to be in the instrument or voice rather than on top of it , is how I best describe it …..
6922 I have tried seem “flat“ in comparison is how I would describe them though I admit I haven’t tried the megabucks NOS 6922 which may be better , though these(6f8g) are readily available as are the adapters
very fast without sounding harsh, eg Solea by Mike’s Davis‘s Sketches from Spain his trumpet is intense without being garish

Interesting. But I dare say you might have been ok with the original if you had a tube phono preamp. Maybe some day I’ll come up with a worthy SS one but for now I personally run tube because it’s better for that application.

Last edited:
Reactions: ddk

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Thank you very much for your extensive answer.
What speakers are you driving with your Lamms?
Your ESL 57s?

Reactions: tima

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
It was oil lubricated , made the whole house smell like a mechanics garage, and died 2 days after delivery !:rolleyes:
I think I know who you’re talking about Milan… I believe it’s always better when we date real people.

Last edited:

awsmone

Apr 6, 2014
Canberra Australia
Interesting. But I dare say you might have been ok with the original if you had a tube phono preamp. Maybe some day I’ll come up with a worthy SS one but for now I personally run tube because it’s better for that application.
Yes u could be right, DDK said much the same , I don’t have any tube pre’s

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing