Natural Sound

Reactions: Karen Sumner
He looks like this emoticon we reserve for most of your posts Tang :rolleyes: - especially since you did not give him the catalog number he asked for

He looks like this emoticon we reserve for most of your posts Tang :rolleyes: - especially since you did not give him the catalog number he asked for
I normally wrote the catalog number when I recommended an album. You Lords just like to be served on a golden plate.

Reactions: bazelio
Yes, only praise...its the modern snowflake way!

There are no trophies in this hobby but there is often much praise. I hardly think someone posting a video with all the risk associated with doing so would be considered a snowflake. Half the membership think videos suck amd relish telling the rest. Those who post them are the opposite of snowflakes, they are armored in Teflon or not so sensitive.

Often the strongest criticism comes from those who never post their own videos. That is the culture in which we live today.

There are no trophies in this hobby but there is often much praise. I hardly think someone posting a video with all the risk associated with doing so would be considered a snowflake. Half the membership think videos suck amd relish telling the rest. Those who post them are the opposite of snowflakes, they are armored in Teflon or not so sensitive.

Often the strongest criticism comes from those who never post their own videos. That is the culture in which we live today.

I agree it is unfair to call those who post as snowflakes. I am sure those who don't post have many times taken their own videos, played it back, compared to other videos on the forum, and decided not to post. When they say their videos don't sound as good as their system that is a red herring, no video sounds as good as the system, but am sure they have compared it to other videos of other systems.

There is a difference between criticism and feedback and some will post stronger than others. As long as it is right and not much to rectify it, it can be taken on board.

There are no trophies in this hobby but there is often much praise

Usually the praise is just encouragement. Drink one more. Ok now one more cmon.

• Haha
Reactions: ddk
I agree it is unfair to call those who post as snowflakes. I am sure those who don't post have many times taken their own videos, played it back, compared to other videos on the forum, and decided not to post. When they say their videos don't sound as good as their system that is a red herring, no video sounds as good as the system, but am sure they have compared it to other videos of other systems.

There is a difference between criticism and feedback and some will post stronger than others. As long as it is right and not much to rectify it, it can be taken on board.
And some of us have wowed to never post a video that was taken with pants on ! ;)

I think you misunderstand, Peter...I was not calling you a snowflake.

I didn't call posters snowflakes... SHeeesh :rolleyes:

I was saying that people are not very willing to hear criticism anymore and only want to hear positives...

I didn't call posters snowflakes... SHeeesh :rolleyes:

I was saying that people are not very willing to hear criticism anymore and only want to hear positives...

Yes I agree you didn't call that. I was though agreeing with Peter that those who post their own system videos and show what their system is have a thick skin. There are always going to be criticisms on systems no matter how good it is. Which is why many are not posting. That said some would have if they thought their system videos were better than the videos that have been posted around .

I hardly think someone posting a video with all the risk associated with doing so would be considered a snowflake. Half the membership think videos suck amd relish
WBF should open a separate contest thread on you tube vids .

It can be called " The world championship of Hifi system videos " one can post vids there and members can post a anonymous like or dislike ,( anonymous being key)
In the end there will be a world video champion ,
First prize can for example be a Transparent cable sponsored by Karen of transparent audio.

Ps Peter in the end a video just only tells you so much you ve got to hear it in person .
I know of systems which sound great on you tube , but sound crap in a real life exposure

Last edited:
I think you misunderstand, Peter...I was not calling you a snowflake.

No, I didn't think so Brad, but I was mostly addressing the notion of praise. I agree with you about the corrosive and damaging snowflake culture. Posting system videos is not for praise. @Tango made an insightful comment recently about how we congratulate each other just because we have the money to buy something new and fancy. Part of it is to foster community and good feelings, and that is nice.

Sometimes WBF is like a family at the holidays, much cheer and then some bickering, and then friendly banter. However, I agree with Tang that real congratulations should be saved for when members discover something new or more deeply satisfying in their love for the hobby. It often takes effort and an open mind and a willingness to learn. I like to congratulate someone who learns how to set up a system or cartridge properly, not for simply being able to buy something new and fancy.

I started this thread to share my new system and my ideas, and to learn from comments. I welcome the discussion and do not seek out praise. I could have gone in many directions, one being simply upgrading within Pass and Magico. I chose a different path and wanted to share the reasons why. I post videos in part to demonstrate the system sound, and in part to reciprocate with those who do the same. I love getting new LP suggestions. A bonus is some insight, however flawed, into how someone else's system sounds. Many of these great systems I will likely never hear, Tang's included.

I learned something interesting about the sound of my system and of Tang's system when reviewing these two videos a few times. It took me more time than some others, but there is a flavor now finally tasted through these videos, that I had not heard before, from either system, and listening now to other videos of the two systems, I hear it consistently in each. I have better learned how to recognize certain aspects of sound. That is a lesson I value. I do not need to go into the details here, but I learned something more about presentation and tonal balance. This is why I post things here, on this system thread rather than on general forums. It is for my personal learning through the context of my own system.

Last edited:
Don't get the point or purpose of these "in room" cell phone videos. Some posters seem to want to use them to show off or seek advice regarding their systems. A few seem to want to use them to verify or refute others' claims about system performance-sort of "audio policing". I asked a colleague who is a professional acoustical engineer/consultant if such videos could reproduce enough of the nuances of system/room performance to be useful in evaluating or giving advice and was told unequivocally "no". When I tried using my iphone to record my system the result fell well short of what I hear in my listening room. I shared the iphone videos with family members and audiophile friends who are familiar with my system and to a person the response was "that doesn't capture the sound of your system". That being the case, what would be the point in me posting them? Who would benefit from seeing/listening to them? (Nevertheless I am still willing to post a video of my system playing. Being a relative "luddite" I don't know how to get the cell phone video, which has a huge file size - too big to email for example, onto the WBF website for viewing/listening. Is there a way to do this that doesn't further degrade the sound quality? - advice appreciated).

The case above perfectly illustrates the problem with these videos. A poster shares a video of his system playing to both demonstrate how "natural" his system sounds and share a recording that he is fond of. The video is found by those watching/listening to it to be of poor quality which leads to a round of speculation as to why and what might be done differently to improve it. Is this useful? Insightful? Educational?

The case above perfectly illustrates the problem with these videos. A poster shares a video of his system playing to both demonstrate how "natural" his system sounds and share a recording that he is fond of. The video is found by those watching/listening to it to be of poor quality which leads to a round of speculation as to why and what might be done differently to improve it. Is this useful? Insightful? Educational?
Actually if you know what to listen for the videos can be quite informative!
The case above doesn’t illustrate anything different from a group of diverse people in presence of the system. Some will like it and some won’t, same as these videos and some can’t hear anything for themselves and will follow the loudest voice!

david

No, I didn't think so Brad, but I was mostly addressing the notion of praise. I agree with you about the corrosive and damaging snowflake culture. Posting system videos is not for praise. @Tango made an insightful comment recently about how we congratulate each other just because we have the money to buy something new and fancy. Part of it is to foster community and good feelings, and that is nice.

Sometimes WBF is like a family at the holidays, much cheer and then some bickering, and then friendly banter. However, I agree with Tang that real congratulations should be saved for when members discover something new or more deeply satisfying in their love for the hobby. It often takes effort and an open mind and a willingness to learn. I like to congratulate someone who learns how to set up a system or cartridge properly, not for simply being able to buy something new and fancy.

I started this thread to share my new system and my ideas, and to learn from comments. I welcome the discussion and do not seek out praise. I could have gone in many directions, one being simply upgrading within Pass and Magico. I chose a different path and wanted to share the reasons why. I post videos in part to demonstrate the system sound, and in part to reciprocate with those who do the same. I love getting new LP suggestions. A bonus is some insight, however flawed, into how someone else's system sounds. Many of these great systems I will likely never hear, Tang's included.

I learned something interesting about the sound of my system and of Tang's system when reviewing these two videos a few times. It took me more time than some others, but there is a flavor now finally tasted through these videos, that I had not heard before, from either system, and listening now to other videos of the two systems, I hear it consistently in each. I have better learned how to recognize certain aspects of sound. That is a lesson I value. I do not need to go into the details here, but I learned something more about presentation and tonal balance. This is why I post things here, on this system thread rather than on general forums. It is for my personal learning.

You should use vpn and listen to the other videos. Once you use the VPN it is quite easy

Don't get the point or purpose of these "in room" cell phone videos. Some posters seem to want to use them to show off or seek advice regarding their systems. A few seem to want to use them to verify or refute others' claims about system performance-sort of "audio policing". I asked a colleague who is a professional acoustical engineer/consultant if such videos could reproduce enough of the nuances of system/room performance to be useful in evaluating or giving advice and was told unequivocally "no". When I tried using my iphone to record my system the result fell well short of what I hear in my listening room. I shared the iphone videos with family members and audiophile friends who are familiar with my system and to a person the response was "that doesn't capture the sound of your system". That being the case, what would be the point in me posting them? Who would benefit from seeing/listening to them? (Nevertheless I am still willing to post a video of my system playing. Being a relative "luddite" I don't know how to get the cell phone video, which has a huge file size - too big to email for example, onto the WBF website for viewing/listening. Is there a way to do this that doesn't further degrade the sound quality? - advice appreciated).

There are many threads dedicated to the pluses and minuses of videos, please let's not start that here.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing