"Natural" Sound

Status
Not open for further replies.
We have an entire thread where we took the position that "natural" is a lay term that has little insight coming with it. Now you are saying I have to accept that descriptor to have a meaning??? It has no meaning.

Natural as a term of enjoyment or good feeling about a system doesn't yield any analysis or response.

Amir, we do indeed have an entire thread discussing the term "natural". It is your position that it has no meaning. It is not "our" position. Not everyone agrees with you and repeating it many times will not change that. The term does have meaning to some of us. Your posts have done nothing to change that for me. And my posts defining the term for me have done nothing to change your opinion. That is fine, but I'm not sure that this thread has shed much light on the subject.

"Natural" does not mean "I like it" or "it makes me feel good". Perhaps those are your definitions. And despite the many graphs, they do not describe everything about the way a system sounds in a room. Rodney even wrote that it his last post.

Amir, we do indeed have an entire thread discussing the term "natural". It is your position that it has no meaning. It is not "our" position. Not everyone agrees with you and repeating it many times will not change that. The term does have meaning to some of us. Your posts have done nothing to change that for me. And my posts defining the term for me have done nothing to change your opinion. That is fine, but I'm not sure that this thread has shed much light on the subject.

"Natural" does not mean "I like it" or "it makes me feel good". Perhaps those are your definitions. And despite the many graphs, they do not describe everything about the way a system sounds in a room. Rodney even wrote that it his last post.

+1

Seems I agree with Amir on some things in this thread, not so much on others.

we do indeed have an entire thread discussing the term "natural".

Peter, I tried to locate such a thread but couldn't put my finger on it. ...Must have been during my vacationing voyage across the universe. :b
Anyway, I was going to read the main lines (tags/posts) and decide if it was worth to link here.

* During my professional career the balance between nature and men was a fragile one @ times; it could have killed me, and it was an awesome experience.
It is that distinction which made it all worth it. ...From serious to humorous. ...And I think that natural sound strikes that pleasant and immortal balance.
Natural is to be alive.

Amir, we do indeed have an entire thread discussing the term "natural". It is your position that it has no meaning. It is not "our" position.
Of course it is not. That is why I said we have had this long thread because you all think it means something, and I am saying it means nothing. Then David turns around and asks me to demonstrate that EQ creates natural sound. He can ask you that if you understand the term. He should not ask me as I have been more than clear that it conveys nothing specific to me.

Just go to a show and walk up to the loudspeaker designer and say, "well, your loudspeaker does not produce natural sound. Can you fix that?" You think he would know what you mean?

"Natural" does not mean "I like it" or "it makes me feel good".
Of course it means those. As otherwise you would say a system sounds natural but you did not like it. And if you don't feel good when you hear a natural system, then I don't know what to think of what you all use that term for.

Perhaps those are your definitions.
As I said, it has no definition but it is my impression that you use such adjectives when you do like a system. If you don't then I bet that is another thing you all won't agree despite telling me this is a known and specific term among you.

I agree with Amir's above reply; "natural" can have as many definitions as there are sounds on our planet...and with all the people who can hear them.

It is not just black and white...we need to be all on the same steel cable that Philippe Petit crossed, back in the seventies across the twin towers of the Trade Center, and as depicted in the new 3D IMAX film; 'The Walk'.

Ok, here's a question to all: One of my friends the other day said to me; "Bob, I like my women au naturel".

What did he mean by that..."au naturel" ?

* And please, don't draw any comparison of naturel women with "natural sound", ...just don't.
...Now go ahead, give it your best shot. :b

au naturel when applied to women of course means nude.

Last edited:
In audio and in the sound of the real thing, I also think the term "natural" is a non-descriptor. If I change the tubes in my amp ( musical instrument amp or audio amp) which set is the more "natural". If the strings on the instrument are changed from 9's to 10's or from one brand to another ( which BTW, can make the instrument sound very different), which is more "natural". I believe, that to anyone who listens to a 'live' instrument, or better still plays one, the term makes no sense. At least, IMHO.

au naturel when applied to women of course means nude.

That is excellent! ...Nude means no clothes...just bare skin...soft/smooth skin (women). ...Velvet nude natural skin...and no makeup, no powder, no perfume, no facelift, no cream, ...

Without drawing any comparison to 'Audio' in regard to "natural sound". ...Perfect, just perfect. ...Equed just naturally right like in-the-room with you...touching the soul directly gently softly...in the here, in the ear, in the moment present, in the now, in the space, ...it's live, and alive.

Did you just have an Eargasm?

We have an entire thread where we took the position that "natural" is a lay term that has little insight coming with it. Now you are saying I have to accept that descriptor to have a meaning??? It has no meaning. I don't know what it means to have natural bass in your mind. I do know what is correct bass when I create it and a bunch of people in a listening test give it thumbs up. And I can correlate that with measurements of the same. Naturally :D, remedies fall out of that, i.e. correcting the response.

Natural as a term of enjoyment or good feeling about a system doesn't yield any analysis or response.

We? Surely not me and several others ... You are free to not accept it and ignore the thousands of times the word has been used with a specific meaning by a large community, even some who are part of AES. :) But please do not distort the thread being paternalistic.

You'd need to give us a fully subjective description of your system's strengths and weaknesses before we could possibly answer that, Keith...

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing