Nagra HD Pre Amp arrived today

davetheoilguy

Jan 10, 2024
USA
Who has tried different tubes in their HD Pre or Phono? I have RTC labeled Mullard 7308's in my phono stage and Amperex Miniwatt 7308's in my preamp. I think I like the Amperex better, more even, more dynamic, more extended. The mallards are still pretty darn nice with a bit of warmth and super quiet. (my HD pre came with mullards years ago, so my only experience is here mullards to Amperex)

What I am most curious about are Siemens CCA's from the 1960's. Any thoughts from someone who has tried the Siemens vs mullards/amperex?

In my prior Classic phono, I used mullards and loved them, but the HD phono is a different thing...

No, I've just got the new (I guess burned in 50 hours from the factory) matching tubes that come with the Nagra HD. It sounds so good that I haven't messed with it. Too busy dialing in the acoustics of my listening room. Lots of ladders, laser levels, and a patient wife as I hang a combination of skyline diffusers, slat diffusers, bass absorbers, etc.

Then testing with various software and some handheld equipment looking for where my problems arise --- and repositioning, removing, and adding.

I think I've finally got it dialed in. I have a near perfect curve. (And lots of cuts on my hands and a sore back. Oh, and a bump on my head from when a corner trap fell from 14 feet. Skyline diffusers, in particular, are exceptionally heavy, so I am very happy it wasn't one of those.)

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
No, I've just got the new (I guess burned in 50 hours from the factory) matching tubes that come with the Nagra HD. It sounds so good that I haven't messed with it. Too busy dialing in the acoustics of my listening room. Lots of ladders, laser levels, and a patient wife as I hang a combination of skyline diffusers, slat diffusers, bass absorbers, etc.

Then testing with various software and some handheld equipment looking for where my problems arise --- and repositioning, removing, and adding.

I think I've finally got it dialed in. I have a near perfect curve. (And lots of cuts on my hands and a sore back. Oh, and a bump on my head from when a corner trap fell from 14 feet. Skyline diffusers, in particular, are exceptionally heavy, so I am very happy it wasn't one of those.)
Ouch !

Reactions: davetheoilguy

DoctorWhy

Dec 5, 2020
I just purchased the HD preamp and have had similar experiences to John. I came from an Aesthetix Callisto signature with a bunch of NOS tubes. I really liked my Aesthetix and had it for many years. I listened to the Classic pre with MPS power supply (a must for this preamp IMHO) and really loved it. I was able to compare and preferred the Classic/MPS to the Koda and the ARC ref10. The Classic was more resolving with greater texture and color. It had a certain ease and beauty that none of the other preamps possessed.

Then I made the the mistake of taking the HD for a listen. Big trouble.... it’s really a game changer. Everything I loved about the Classic, the HD took to another, even happier place. It’s really interesting; I don’t think I’ve experienced a single audio component that made this fundamental of a change to the overall gestalt of music reproduction in my room before.
Wow, just wanted to reach out as I went down the same upgrade path from the Aesthetix Callisto Eclipse to the Nagra HD Pre. The difference was day and night. Have you gotten the upgraded balanced transformers??

DoctorWhy

Dec 5, 2020
Hi, never a dumb question. There is not a dac in the HD Preamp, its role is solely as a preamp for any source and following amp. So yes you do need a separate dac such as Tube DAC and HD Dac X from Nagra.

My dCS Vivaldi DAC can act as a preamp (it has a volume control). I greatly prefer using it with my Nagra HD Preamp than alone. I will say the transparency maybe a bit better with the DAC straight to the amps, but the overall portrayal of the music is better with a preamp.

As a building block approach, you can always start with something like a dCS DAC direct to amp, but one day you'll appreciate a good preamp....hope this helps
I concur. I had the same experience with my MSB Select II DAC and Nagra HD Pre

Reactions: jfrech

davetheoilguy

Jan 10, 2024
USA
had the same experience with my MSB Select II DAC and Nagra HD Pre
I'm debating what DAC to get to pair with the Nagra HD Pre. Currently I just use the DAC that is internal to my Esoteric K-03XD SACD/CD transport. I understand it to be extremely comparable to the stand alone Esoteric DACs, if not identical. It's excellent, but there is room for more. Although I tend to think the DAC is the least benefit for the cost, given technology has progressed so fast. Cheap DACs can be pretty amazing, so it has to be a serious step up.

Contenders are one of the MSB line (probably the Reference; the Select just seems overkill, but maybe not); the Nagra HD DAC X (which I note you have); and the Mola Mola T- (fish name - Tiburon? Talapia? Something exceptionally stupid); and the top of the line Weiss model.

I've literally never heard any of these except the MSB Select, and it was at a friend's party, so I really didn't have a personal opinion about any of them. Based on reviews, the Mola Mola or the MSB seems to be the betters choice (ironically) for the Nagra HD, as both tend toward "bright" and "sharp" if there are any complaints and I think the Nagra would resolved that -- whereas I hypothosize (without knowledge) that two Nagras in a chain might be a tad sloppy. Again, that's my theory based on zero actual knowledge.

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
I'm debating what DAC to get to pair with the Nagra HD Pre. Currently I just use the DAC that is internal to my Esoteric K-03XD SACD/CD transport. I understand it to be extremely comparable to the stand alone Esoteric DACs, if not identical. It's excellent, but there is room for more. Although I tend to think the DAC is the least benefit for the cost, given technology has progressed so fast. Cheap DACs can be pretty amazing, so it has to be a serious step up.

Contenders are one of the MSB line (probably the Reference; the Select just seems overkill, but maybe not); the Nagra HD DAC X (which I note you have); and the Mola Mola T- (fish name - Tiburon? Talapia? Something exceptionally stupid); and the top of the line Weiss model.

I've literally never heard any of these except the MSB Select, and it was at a friend's party, so I really didn't have a personal opinion about any of them. Based on reviews, the Mola Mola or the MSB seems to be the betters choice (ironically) for the Nagra HD, as both tend toward "bright" and "sharp" if there are any complaints and I think the Nagra would resolved that -- whereas I hypothosize (without knowledge) that two Nagras in a chain might be a tad sloppy. Again, that's my theory based on zero actual knowledge.
I'd add the dCS Vivaldi Apex to your list...great match with the Nagra HD Pre...

davetheoilguy

Jan 10, 2024
USA
I'd add the dCS Vivaldi Apex to your list...great match with the Nagra HD Pre...
I agree. I went down a rabbit hole today thinking about stereo components instead of doing my work and that the dCS made the short list. I'm probably going to have to buy based on measurements, which I hate to do. That heavily favors the dCS and the Mola Mola T.

And there is the factor that the Mola Mola is nice and compact and would fit nicely next to my streamer on the same shelf. Ha. (Avoiding having to move things is not a small concern. I run my wires with serious OCD.)

DoctorWhy

Dec 5, 2020

The Nagra HD DAC X is an excellent DAC. Initially, The MSB Select DAC II sounded a bit faster and more transparent than the Nagra DAC X, but the Nagra had better weight and tone. When I compared them with AQ Dragon power cable the differences pretty much disappeared. I wound up keeping the MSB only because I like its large display that I can read from listening chair. NOT because it sounded better. I am currently selling HD DAC X for a good price. PM me if interested. Would also consider selling MSB at right price and keeping NAgra.

DoctorWhy

Dec 5, 2020

You can also "tune" the Nagra a bit with different tubes. The Lampizator Horizon also sounds great.

davetheoilguy

Jan 10, 2024
USA
The Nagra HD DAC X is an excellent DAC. Initially, The MSB Select DAC II sounded a bit faster and more transparent than the Nagra DAC X, but the Nagra had better weight and tone. When I compared them with AQ Dragon power cable the differences pretty much disappeared. I wound up keeping the MSB only because I like its large display that I can read from listening chair. NOT because it sounded better. I am currently selling HD DAC X for a good price. PM me if interested. Would also consider selling MSB at right price and keeping NAgra.
You don't happen to have a link (or just know) the tech behind the actual DAC in the Nagra DAC, do you? I believe it's a Field Programmable Gate Array, but that really tells me little. There are a fair number of those and then it depends on who designed/how it is designed the software component. It's the core of any DAC. And Nagra seems to be very coy about its origins and specs, or I am looking in the wrong place.

I've managed to hear a Mola Mola Tambaqui and was very impressed. It's pretty analytical, but I think that is a good choice with the Nagra HD pre.

Similarly, I heard a DCS Vivaldi Apex One (includes an upsampler and CD transport), albeit under different conditions, so I couldn't do a A/B comparison. I really don't need/want the CD transport portion, so there is money being wasted there. But it was similarly fantasic.

It's really down to these three. The MSB, if I got it, should be the Reference. But I know me, so I'd end up buying Select, the external clock, etc, and pissing my wife off.

DoctorWhy

Dec 5, 2020
You don't happen to have a link (or just know) the tech behind the actual DAC in the Nagra DAC, do you? I believe it's a Field Programmable Gate Array, but that really tells me little. There are a fair number of those and then it depends on who designed/how it is designed the software component. It's the core of any DAC. And Nagra seems to be very coy about its origins and specs, or I am looking in the wrong place.

I've managed to hear a Mola Mola Tambaqui and was very impressed. It's pretty analytical, but I think that is a good choice with the Nagra HD pre.

Similarly, I heard a DCS Vivaldi Apex One (includes an upsampler and CD transport), albeit under different conditions, so I couldn't do a A/B comparison. I really don't need/want the CD transport portion, so there is money being wasted there. But it was similarly fantasic.

It's really down to these three. The MSB, if I got it, should be the Reference. But I know me, so I'd end up buying Select, the external clock, etc, and pissing my wife off.
The MSB Select with 2 Power bases contains everything you need. Yep, the very best clock made, the 33 Femto Clock. Nothing else to buy, but it is fantasticly expensive as is. The Reference has one power base which is noisier. All of my comparisons between the Nagra HD DAC X and MSB were to the MSB SELECT II. They were neck and neck. Against the Reference, hands down I would take THE NAGRA!
That is entirely by ear in my room in my system judging from the sound of The Select DAC vs the HD DAC X.

Last edited:

davetheoilguy

Jan 10, 2024
USA
The MSB Select with 2 Power bases contains everything you need. Yep, the very best clock made, the 33 Femto Clock. Nothing else to buy, but it is fantasticly expensive as is. The Reference has one power base which is noisier. All of my comparisons between the Nagra HD DAC X and MSB were to the MSB SELECT II. They were neck and neck. Against the Reference, hands down I would take THE NAGRA!
That is entirely by ear in my room in my system judging from the sound of The Select DAC vs the HD DAC X.
I don't doubt, for a second, the HD DAC X is fantastic, just based on my Nagra HD pre. I also know the Mola Mola, Vivaldi, and MSB are fantastic.

I'm just deeply curious about the actual digital conversion on the Nagra. Ladder? FPGA (what I believe)? It's just an amazing void of information.

I'm sure there's a great article out there, probably written in French or something that I just can't find.

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
I don't doubt, for a second, the HD DAC X is fantastic, just based on my Nagra HD pre. I also know the Mola Mola, Vivaldi, and MSB are fantastic.

I'm just deeply curious about the actual digital conversion on the Nagra. Ladder? FPGA (what I believe)? It's just an amazing void of information.

I'm sure there's a great article out there, probably written in French or something that I just can't find.
Hi, FPGA, listed in Nagra's HD DAC X webpage...also a video with a little more info...

davetheoilguy

Jan 10, 2024
USA
Thank you.
Hi, FPGA, listed in Nagra's HD DAC X webpage...also a video with a little more info...
That’s all I could find, too.

By the lack of information, I’m getting the impression that the DAC X has an amazing preamp side (dual mono, “typical”’Nagra perfection on the power supply side, but a nice, but nothing Earth shaking digital side. I’m suspecting the analog side is so excellent the digital side can coast along, but is really something you’d see in a nice Arcam or Levinson.

well, that fantastic analog side is wasted (too strong a word) on someone with a Nagra Pre, where I already have that strength covered.

Makes me want Nagra to go parter with Mola Mola and stick their ring chipset (which is remarkable tech) into the digital side of the Nagra HDX and have something game changing. Talk about the best of both worlds.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing