Various DAC Audition Impressions

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
I am finding there are a couple Memory Players out there. I have no idea if they are built on crap parts and sound like crap, or decent parts and play well. A $27K player is not affordable to me.

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
LAUFER is the real one I’ve heard it at shows
now for me it’s not the sound I like.
it’s a quality product for sure like hq player
One must enjoy the sound over all.
it’s really based on science of time in the bit stream
any given cd player used as a transport has its own sound for many reasons.
the better ones seem to be more dynamic less noise but still not the same.
AL M uses a spidif reclocker I do as well it truly levels the playing field on cd transports but still they have a variance.

emyyl

Jul 28, 2022
As your Mojo server and DAC are both really high quality, my guess is that you won’t find substantial difference between the CD transport and your server.

You might find more improvement through switches, renderers and reclockers to replace the SPDIF connection. Cost about $5k in total for me but I get a more 3 dimensional sound, bigger soundstage and better decay and timing. The Audiophilestyle forum has lots of pointers on this.

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
As your Mojo server and DAC are both really high quality, my guess is that you won’t find substantial difference between the CD transport and your server.

You might find more improvement through switches, renderers and reclockers to replace the SPDIF connection. Cost about $5k in total for me but I get a more 3 dimensional sound, bigger soundstage and better decay and timing. The Audiophilestyle forum has lots of pointers on this.
I have 3 independent LPS feeding my modem, router and Linear Solution switch. All 3 feed by a Torus isolation transformer. I have Blue Jeans CAT 6 througout. I have an Intona Ref USB cable.

I have tried 2 different Endpoints. I could not hear a difference. I tried an Intona USB device. No change. I tried 2 different ethernet filters. Gigafoil and some other audiophile one. Both made if hifi(fake) sounding.

Mojo Audio told me to get the Jays. Said its worlds better. No comparison.

I have also been looking at a Grimm MU1. But I don't have $12k to try.

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
LAUFER is the real one I’ve heard it at shows
now for me it’s not the sound I like.
it’s a quality product for sure like hq player
One must enjoy the sound over all.
it’s really based on science of time in the bit stream
any given cd player used as a transport has its own sound for many reasons.
the better ones seem to be more dynamic less noise but still not the same.
AL M uses a spidif reclocker I do as well it truly levels the playing field on cd transports but still they have a variance.
I agree. Everything has a sound. It sounds like the Laufer is sort of "slick" sounding. Smoothed over with a loss of dynamic snap. I like snap.

Reactions: Alrainbow

emyyl

Jul 28, 2022
I have 3 independent LPS feeding my modem, router and Linear Solution switch. All 3 feed by a Torus isolation transformer. I have Blue Jeans CAT 6 througout. I have an Intona Ref USB cable.

I have tried 2 different Endpoints. I could not hear a difference. I tried an Intona USB device. No change. I tried 2 different ethernet filters. Gigafoil and some other audiophile one. Both made if hifi(fake) sounding.

Looks like you’ve done the switches etc. In my case I swapped out the Blue Jeans Cat 6 for Sablon. More body, impact and air.

i read that the Grimm’s prefer the EBS/XLR output.

Sounds like your heart is set on the CD Transport. Would be interested to hear your findings.

Reactions: Sablon Audio

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
Looks like you’ve done the switches etc. In my case I swapped out the Blue Jeans Cat 6 for Sablon. More body, impact and air.

i read that the Grimm’s prefer the EBS/XLR output.

Sounds like your heart is set on the CD Transport. Would be interested to hear your findings.
I also have a AQ Cinnamon ethernet. It changes the sound a little.

Honestly, I will probably do nothing. There are other area I would prefer to place expenses. Such as getting my amp situation worked out.

Cybermaggies

Nov 27, 2020
Federal Way, WA

Are you using stock DC cables going from the LPS to the modem, router, and switch? I am powering all three devices with LPS's as well and upgraded to silver DC cables. The magnitude of improvement was almost as significant as adding the LPS itself.

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
Are you using stock DC cables going from the LPS to the modem, router, and switch? I am powering all three devices with LPS's as well and upgraded to silver DC cables. The magnitude of improvement was almost as significant as adding the LPS itself.
Stock. I do appreciate a good cable. Where did you get yours. I looked at some Gent cables a few years back. Never got one. I also use a Ifi power supply for the Modem so there is no options there. The Linear Solution switch came with a half decent cable.

Cybermaggies

Nov 27, 2020
Federal Way, WA
Stock. I do appreciate a good cable. Where did you get yours. I looked at some Gent cables a few years back. Never got one. I also use a Ifi power supply for the Modem so there is no options there. The Linear Solution switch came with a half decent ca
Stock. I do appreciate a good cable. Where did you get yours. I looked at some Gent cables a few years back. Never got one. I also use a Ifi power supply for the Modem so there is no options there. The Linear Solution switch came with a half decent cable.
I ended up building my own. I did try a Farad Level 2 Silver, a Ghent with Neotech 16awg solid copper and made several versions using stranded and solid copper, but my solid silver easily surpassed them.

If you stream, I think you will find putting a Farad with a quality AC & DC cable or its equivalent on the modem will yield the most improvement vs the switch or router.

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
I ended up building my own. I did try a Farad Level 2 Silver, a Ghent with Neotech 16awg solid copper and made several versions using stranded and solid copper, but my solid silver easily surpassed them.

If you stream, I think you will find putting a Farad with a quality AC & DC cable or its equivalent on the modem will yield the most improvement vs the switch or router.
I heard the biggest improvement with the switch. I also heard an immediate notable improvement when I bought a separate router from the modem. The power supplies were smaller gains but worthwhile. But that is just me in one system. There are lots of great threads where people have tired all sorts of configurations.

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019

What gauge silver did you use?
What did you wrap it with?

Cybermaggies

Nov 27, 2020
Federal Way, WA

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
I have had my Mojo Audio DAC running pretty continuously for over a week. I was out of town with a loop of music to my pre which was also on. I got home last night. I fired up the amp today and had a few moments to listen. For the first time in a long time I wanted to flip off the vinyl and put the digital back on as I was enjoying it that much. There is nothing in my dogital now that would tell me I am playing a streamed file vs a record. I am totally satisfied with my digital source. Whats scarry is Ben aith Mojo is adamant I am only getting a taste of what I could be if I were to put a Jays Audio CD3 MK3 as a source to the DAC. He should know. He made my server and DAC. And owns the Jays. N

charles1dad

VIP/Donor
Aug 22, 2021
Michigan, USA.
Ben at Mojo is wise. I’d heed his “adamant “ recommendation for a high quality CD transport.
Charles

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing