Munich High-End 2018 Ron Report: Acoustical Systems Apolyt

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
At Munich High-End 2016 and 2017 the Acoustical Systems Apolyt made only a static, if nonetheless still dramatic, appearance. This year, its platter was spinning. Dietrich Brakemeier, the founder and designer of Acoustical Systems, mounted his amazing Axiom tonearm on the Apolyt.

IMG_0212.JPG

It is hard to convey a sense of just how massive is the Apolyt turntable. It boasts an air suspension system supporting what looks like a very large but fairly conventional turntable in the middle of a medieval-looking torture rack.

I told Dietrich that I love his Axiom but would he be willing to make a trip to Los Angeles to install and set it up? Dietrich said he would be open to such a trip!

IMG_0211.JPG

IMG_0025.JPG

IMG_0028.JPG

IMG_0029.JPG

Apolyt Technical specifications:

- platter weight: 58 kg
- chassis weight: 188 kg
- net weight: 388 kg
- shipping weight: 580 kg (delivery in 8 flight cases)
- total dimensions (w x d x h): 112 cm x 82 cm x 122 cm / 138 cm
- wow & flutter: below 0.01% (W.R.M.S)
- speed: 33 1/3 rpm and 45 rpm - all speeds w/ precise adjustment
- operation voltage: optional DC-operation and selectable 100 / 120 / 220 / 230 / 240 V - 50/60 Hz
- drive: unique balanced shaft transmission drive with dynamic torque management
- power consumption in operation: 20 to 180 Watt

Adjustments:

- user choice / selectable: 1, 2, 3, 4 or 5 arm bases
- adjustable - build-in - air flow and air pressure for optional air-bearing tonearm
- adjustable tuning resonance frequency

Features:

- automatic leveling
- optional 2 shelves incorporated for phono stage / line stage - full isolated within the air spring frame.
- platter based on bi-radial, full aero-static air-bearing - vertical and horizontal.
- complete plinth and optional integrated rack suspended on true air-spring-induction-field suspension with resonance frequency below 0.5 Hz.
- speed quartz controlled
- balanced shaft transmission drive - mating belt and direct drive in an unique concept.
- center of moving mass resting in bearing plane.
- platter inertia 38x of Micro Seiki SX-8000 platter.
- compound platter featuring definite energy transfer and internal liquid dampening.
- center of platter mass identical with plane of bearing/rotation = perfect resting mass principle.
- compound arm bases with identical energy transfer concept as platter.
- super fast exchange of arm boards.
- no possible build-up of static energy during play.
- motor-drive powered by custom amplifier and optional pure DC-power supply.
(battery sourced with automatic recharging and automatic redundant AC-power supply)

Options:

- optional additional speeds: 16 2/3 rpm and 78 rpm
- optional wooden veneer or smoked glass side panels - detachable
- optional rack front cover choice of prime wood veneer or smoked glass
- acrylic dust cover
- optional 24 kt plating or polished chrome finish on selected parts (frame, dome caps)

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
When transport this Apolyt, Dietrich preassembled the whole tt and put on a four wheeled gurney. In Ron’s picture, the tt is still on a gurney covered with white cloth.

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
Great to see the table is up and playing music . Yes it is a massive table when I saw in Hong Kong a a couple of years ago

Ron, how did it sound?

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Every single component in the system was unfamiliar to me, and the music was unfamiliar to me, so, unfortunately, I have no idea how to isolate the sound of the turntable. Also, for a turntable fan, honestly the thing is so overwhelming when you first see it that it’s hard to concentrate on the music.

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
Every single component in the system was unfamiliar to me, and the music was unfamiliar to me, so, unfortunately, I have no idea how to isolate the sound of the turntable. Also, for a turntable fan, honestly the thing is so overwhelming when you first see it that it’s hard to concentrate on the music.

sounds like you were not impressed. yea, the table is a bloody monster - way too much imo - but you certainly can see a lot of $$ spent in manufacturing such a beast. Unlike some high end gear.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
sounds like you were not impressed. yea, the table is a bloody monster - way too much imo - but you certainly can see a lot of $$ spent in manufacturing such a beast. Unlike some high end gear.

To be fair it is very difficult to get impressed by a lot of gear in Munich show conditions, especially source components or electronics. I never get it when people go to the same room I have been too and say wow. Usually they are already fans of that component, or just simply saying wow to all bling. Likewise when they go to a room and say the amp sounded crap, I have no idea how they made that out. There are even occasions when some rooms sound very good one year and don't the next year.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
sounds like you were not impressed. . . .

The turntable is incredibly impressive visually and mechanically; so much so that I am reporting it is hard to concentrate on anything else going on in the room -- including the music. I have no idea how it sounds as a standalone component, in a completely unfamiliar system with unfamiliar music.

Please do not infer in any way whatsoever that I am trying to avoid reporting on what the turntable sounded like or that I did not like the turntable in some sonic way. I do not know how to be more crystal clear that I cannot report on the sound of the turntable itself. I have no reason whatsoever to think the turntable is not equal to the state-of-the-art in both operation and sound quality.

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
In case Ron forgot...the air pump

D7FE08D3-DC44-456E-9EC7-81AAB0EA4620.jpg

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
In case Ron forgot...the air pump

View attachment 40935

Tang, has Dietrich been successful in getting you to pull the trigger on one yet? this vs AS2000 vs AF1 vs EMT would be amazing to read. might even fly out to hear how bad the RS sounds - haha - that's a joke :D

heihei

VIP/Donor
Jul 24, 2017
I thought it sounded as heavy as it looks / is (220kg), but I'm no TT expert.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Tang, has Dietrich been successful in getting you to pull the trigger on one yet? this vs AS2000 vs AF1 vs EMT would be amazing to read. might even fly out to hear how bad the RS sounds - haha - that's a joke :D

Lmao

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
The turntable is incredibly impressive visually and mechanically; so much so that I am reporting it is hard to concentrate on anything else going on in the room -- including the music. I have no idea how it sounds as a standalone component, in a completely unfamiliar system with unfamiliar music.

Please do not infer in any way whatsoever that I am trying to avoid reporting on what the turntable sounded like or that I did not like the turntable in some sonic way. I do not know how to be more crystal clear that I cannot report on the sound of the turntable itself. I have no reason whatsoever to think the turntable is not equal to the state-of-the-art in both operation and sound quality.

Will you risk a second audition? ;)

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
XV, Tang needs to get a Vyger in first, don’t think he’ll need to go into this tbh.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
(...) I never get it when people go to the same room I have been too and say wow. Usually they are already fans of that component, or just simply saying wow to all bling. Likewise when they go to a room and say the amp sounded crap, I have no idea how they made that out. (...)

Ked,
Is it so difficult to accept that there are many good reasons for it, including different preference? Or simply that they may be more skilled listeners than us, able to separate what is critical and what is accessory in show listening ? ;)

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Ked,
Is it so difficult to accept that there are many good reasons for it, including different preference? Or simply that they may be more skilled listeners than us, able to separate what is critical and what is accessory in show listening ? ;)

My point is you can't. I will accept it if the listener confirms his conclusions there with a proper isolation outside. So if he gets 8/10 confirms, sure, he is a more skilled listener, else he is delusional. I am not addressing preference here at all which is a totally different thing

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok

Hi Shane,

The other day Jazzhead visited me. He is a digital person and doesn’t do tt. He was eager to hear the AF1P than my other two tts. We had about two hours of listening switching songs from one tt to another. It turned out he didn’t spend much time on the Techdas. He prefers the EMT/Axiom/AtlasSL to the other two. In his words, it sounds natural, balanced, no highlight of any frequency range and engaging. The Kronos/SAT/Opus1, he said was too show off. No I need to correct this (I have to be very careful of stating other people’s comment because they are not mine.) not too show off but has a show off characteristics. The Techdas he didn’t say anything. Yes he does understand what he heard was greatly influenced by carts on the tts and cannot be any conclusion. Just with these set ups he heard and made comments to.

Hope we could have an opportunity to listen together some day Shane...my fellow AtlasSL lover :D.

Kind regards,
Tang

Last edited:

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
Hi Shane,

The other day Jazzhead visited me. He is a digital person and doesn’t do tt. He was eager to hear the AF1P than my other two tts. We had about two hours of listening switching songs from one tt to another. It turned out he didn’t spend much time on the Techdas. He prefers the EMT/Axiom/AtlasSL to the other two. In his words, it sounds natural, balanced, no highlight of any frequency range and engaging. The Kronos/SAT/Opus1, he said was too show off. No I need to correct this (I have to be very careful of stating other people’s comment because they are not mine.) not too show off but has a show off characteristics. The Techdas he didn’t say anything. Yes he does understand what he heard was greatly influenced by carts on the tts and cannot be any conclusion. Just with these set ups he heard and made comments to.

Hope we could have an opportunity to listen together some day Shane...my fellow AtlasSL lover :D.

Kind regards,
Tang

Hi Tang

Your system is revealing to show one all the differences.

I would certainly love to visit Bangkok again, and visiting you would be a highlight, as I love multiple turntables, arms , cartridges and the differences they all make.

You my friend, are the Candyman :D

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing