More Consensus That Streaming Is An Inferior Format & Not High End?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Republicoftexas69

If that is aimed at me you are on the wrong happy trail , I found OCD’s YouTube demonstrating the Puritan gear via real time audio to be rather compelling in the efficacy of these relatively affordable products
Not at all, just in general.

caesar

May 30, 2010
...I had to scroll back to the top of the page to revisit the title. For a moment, I thought I was on the "Old Guys Crabbing About Technology" thread. I'm surprised some of you guys are even reading online. Well done. Computer audio/streaming is really not difficult. How far you want to take it is a matter of choice, including not taking it at all.

For reference: I'll be 66 y.o. in a couple of months. But net-net, enjoy your music however you get it. Carry on.

A big part of this hobby is sharing experiences. Yet many guys who have been in this hobby for a while do not respect this approach. They to want to dictate to others how they should emotionally feel based on an approach that works for them.

In this case, we have an approach that is potentially cheaper than what the audiophile herd is pursuing. Guys are free to experience it.

Instead, guys who base their self esteem on others having the same tastes and preferences they have, feel offended that some people have found something cheaper and better for their goals, needs, and objectives.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Streaming DSD and basically every hi res format destroys any local Redbook CD playback via transport
"Quest to find consensus in digital audio proving more elusive than the search for the Holy Grail".

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
A big part of this hobby is sharing experiences. Yet many guys who have been in this hobby for a while do not respect this approach. They to want to dictate to others how they should emotionally feel based on an approach that works for them.

In this case, we have an approach that is potentially cheaper than what the audiophile herd is pursuing. Guys are free to experience it.

Instead, guys who base their self esteem on others having the same tastes and preferences they have, feel offended that some people have found something cheaper and better for their goals, needs, and objectives.

LOL, put your flamesuit on.

Anyway, I can relate.

• Haha
Reactions: MarkusBarkus

rando

Sep 22, 2019
Why the hate for Mike Powell (OCD HiFi) Puritan (he is not even the US Dist) and their products. If this it what works for somebody who cares, congratulations you are getting better sound for less money spent.

I feel I'm repeating myself that personal interpretation is wide open.

The more I'm asked to revisit this, the more good humored personal interpretations come about. Scads of material to work with. :)

Since I see you are a newer member unlikely to have a grasp on the starting point to determine a meaning apparent to many others. Try searching cat litter boxes on WBF and see if anything relevant comes up under the former member who started this conversation. While you're down there take a looksie at how many conversational gaps exist in what Mr. Powell hath wrought. ;)

LOL, put your flamesuit on.

Just a suit. One capable of facing the outside world on a daily basis without further reinforcement.

Long Live Analog

Aug 8, 2022
West Tn. Mid South
I wouldn't hold my breath for that. When I moved to Atlanta I hired a tech guy to install a network here (and outdoor system/home theater). He said this job was basically a mid-level job for him and that his typical install starts at $100k. He's been doing for this 10 years and he told me this is the first install he's every done with streaming audio appliances (Esoteric, couple of Lumins, LDMS server, etc.). $20k projectors/screens, full house automation? Yes. Roon, Quobuz? He'd never heard of them.

I'd love to see it get to the point where there's high speed fiber everywhere connecting an end-use to Quobuz or Tidal but that's never going to happen in our lifetime. I haven't even been able to find a neighbor with a dedicated 2-channel system.
Don’t feel bad. Where I live most people think fiber is something you eat. If you mention 2 channel audio they have no idea what that is. We had some neighbors over for the holidays, some had never seen a turntable much less 2 and a vinyl collection. Mention a cell phone and they’re all over it.

caesar

May 30, 2010
"Quest to find consensus in digital audio proving more elusive than the search for the Holy Grail".

As these are experiences, definitely agreee.

But social networks exist between certain experienced dealers and their customers, and also there are small social networks of experienced audiophiles.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
Hahaha. No one ever accused you of not being your own man.

Hehe, I was, however, accused of being an AARP audiophile since I still spin CDs. I carry that badge proudly and with honor ;). No, I don't qualify for Medicare yet.

• Haha
Reactions: caesar

caesar

May 30, 2010
Streaming DSD and basically every hi res format destroys any local Redbook CD playback via transport

if you tried that, I am sincerely thrilled for you that you found your bliss. Yet we have so many suckers that bought a $30K taiko just because others like it, without doing their diligence.

It's really a basic concept: high end audio is an experience - try things for yourself instead of trusting the herd

Reactions: Audiofile

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston

Good for you that you enjoy your streamed DSD, and i and am sure it sounds great.

Your CD playback must suck then, however.

Reactions: Audiofile

Republicoftexas69

I feel I'm repeating myself that personal interpretation is wide open.

The more I'm asked to revisit this, the more good humored personal interpretations come about. Scads of material to work with. :)

Since I see you are a newer member unlikely to have a grasp on the starting point to determine a meaning apparent to many others. Try searching cat litter boxes on WBF and see if anything relevant comes up under the former member who started this conversation. While you're down there take a looksie at how many conversational gaps exist in what Mr. Powell hath wrought. ;)

Just a suit. One capable of facing the outside world on a daily basis without further reinforcement.
If you are repeating yourself then clearly you have issues with communication. Also your writing style is painful to read. I will pass on your litter box.

Reactions: Kingrex

facten

Feb 13, 2022
Tennessee
What are your comparative reference points for your conclusion?

Rexp

Aug 31, 2022
I don't use a transport therefore I cannot judge the differences, but agree that the other big items that you mentioned and including synergy and vibration control (all of which you have addressed as shown in your setup list) are the first things to address.

But last night listening to a Qobuz version of Moment to Moment with Cava Menzies and Nick Phillips (192/24), I was enjoying it so thoroughly and thinking: I wish everything was recorded this well. If transports can deliver that sound consistently with 44.1/16, then I would understand the sometimes rabid preference for this medium.

The 24 bit stuff on Qobuz might simply be an indication that the recording used the latest versions of software/hardware. I'm not implying the engineering itself doesn't matter, but it is a great advantage to use the software/hardware of today vs. what was used in the 80s, for example.
Mmm, every album you've recommended is not available on Tidal, in this case it's only 16/44.1. How does the 16/44.1 sound?

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
For the sake of accuracy, McGowan’s title and the OP’s pillow fight title are quite a bit different in both words and tone.

Accuracy?

In your opinion.

In my opinion "inferior" and "lower quality" are pretty close.

Either way, my point remains the same.

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark

wil

Jul 22, 2015
Accuracy?

In your opinion.

In my opinion "inferior" and "lower quality" are pretty close.

Either way, my point remains the same.
Deconstruct the OP sentence:

“more consensus
This is meant to imply that not only is there already consensus, but here’s even more!
I think the responses on this thread emphatically communicate that there is indeed no consensus on this subject.

“inferior “ vs “lower quality”
Maybe an AI Bot wouldn’t grasp the difference in meaning, but any human competent in the English language should get it easily!

The OP title is designed to be flammable. Paul McGowan‘s is designed to be bland.

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
...I had to scroll back to the top of the page to revisit the title. For a moment, I thought I was on the "Old Guys Crabbing About Technology" thread. I'm surprised some of you guys are even reading online. Well done. Computer audio/streaming is really not difficult. How far you want to take it is a matter of choice, including not taking it at all.

For reference: I'll be 66 y.o. in a couple of months. But net-net, enjoy your music however you get it. Carry on.
It’s awesome for some that IT types of tech and managing computer is a relatively easy pathway… I’m a committed long termer in file based audio and openly write about its great aspects (in terms of access) but I also think for some who struggle with navigating the computer environment or who just don’t problem solve computer systems well that it’s just not an easy a path to do at its best and to get under way and to keep at it for everyone. It’s alien and hard at the beginning for quite a few but if we persist and are patient and determined it gets easier for sure. It’s possibly a bit like childbirth… everyone seems to forget the very hardest parts and for some the birthing just comes easier.

But I do believe it’s important we are honest and to factor in big differences in people’s computer skills and digital literacy. I am middling level acuity in computer use and while I’ve overcome that because I need to computer draft and 3D model and do (love) digital sketching and I teach designers and quite a few of the learners that I work with really have to go through a hoop with this so I have plenty of experience in the kind of variability people have in this and lots of empathy for people who are more challenged in a computer based environment.

The people who find it easy probably make up a big percentage of the early adopters in computer audio over the last decade or so but there are still many who struggle (more so at the start) and should get that for all its value possibly they are going to struggle and to hit barriers and big hurdles at times… particularly if they are being self directed in implementing and maintaining their systems rather than having the amazing support the top end like Taiko deliver.

I do think we shouldn’t just sell or be sold the it’s universally easy dream when for some it just may not end up being that at all. Though it doesn’t mean that it’s not worth that challenge for those who really would love that level of access to the world’s huge stores of music… I am unsure why they call it a stream when it’s really much more of an ocean though.

Last edited:

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
Deconstruct the OP sentence:

“more consensus
This is meant to imply that not only is there already consensus, but here’s even more!
I think the responses on this thread emphatically communicate that there is indeed no consensus on this subject.

“inferior “ vs “lower quality”
Maybe an AI Bot wouldn’t grasp the difference in meaning, but any human competent in the English language should get it easily!

The OP title is designed to be flammable. Paul McGowan‘s is designed to be bland.

Heh. I am guessing you live in the PacNW.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing