Mixing makes of 6DJ8 tubes in preamp, and how to ascertain best position.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Spriritofmusic,

I suggest you tell Brent what sound qualities you are looking for the component to produce more of or less of...tell him what the existing stock tubes are...and ask him what he thinks about NOS options. He often DOES recommend different tube brands based on what you are looking for in sound terms.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Spriritofmusic,

I suggest you tell Brent what sound qualities you are looking for the component to produce more of or less of...tell him what the existing stock tubes are...and ask him what he thinks about NOS options. He often DOES recommend different tube brands based on what you are looking for in sound terms.

Lol you should warn Brent otherwise the discussion will go on forever

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
Brent goes to great lengths discussing the sonic attributes of various tubes. Trouble is I found reality and Brent's descriptions to be two different things in practice.

Hardly surprising I guess. We're just as bad on the Lampi threads trying to discuss what we hear with various different valves.

I have spent quite long while over the years reading his website. I like it. True valve nut job, so respect is due;)

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Spriritofmusic,

Oh Lloyd...I'd quite like the tubes to make me more attractive to women, bring me riches and great health.
Short of THOSE...I'm already getting a lot of positives, especially in areas of sweetness, silkiness, saturated tonal color.
Critically, the vast majority of tube hash is gone leaving much more natural detail resolution.

No, my dilemma is that I wasn't expecting Brent to recommend a mix of brands.

The good news is I've already hit a sweet spot and if Lowrider's advice is correct, I just need to compare

Mullard-Mazda-Mazda-Mullard, versus
Mazda-Mullard-Mullard-Mazda, and see if I hit upon the best sound.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Lol you should warn Brent otherwise the discussion will go on forever
Maybe...however it seems Brent likes to talk more than me.

Lowrider75

Dec 4, 2019
Lowrider,
Left to right, 12 34
With 6s19p-v tubes at extreme right and extreme left
So, you would suggest one type at 1 & 4, the other type at 2 & 3?
I saw a pic of your preamp. The small signal tube layout is 12 Left, 34 Right. Not 1234.
So, left side is left channel with a gain tube and a driver. Right side is Rt channel gain and driver.
There is no way to tell which is gain and which is driver. I suggest use the Mullard on inside tubes. Those will be a match for left and right. Then you can swap 1 and 2, and 3 and 4 to see which sounds best. Always keep the tubes matching for left and right channels.

Reactions: bazelio

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
He couldn't be trying to sell you something could he?:D;)
Well, I need some 6N1P-EV and 6S19P-V tubes, but he couldn't help.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
I saw a pic of your preamp. The small signal tube layout is 12 Left, 34 Right. Not 1234.
So, left side is left channel with a gain tube and a driver. Right side is Rt channel gain and driver.
There is no way to tell which is gain and which is driver. I suggest use the Mullard on inside tubes. Those will be a match for left and right. Then you can swap 1 and 2, and 3 and 4 to see which sounds best. Always keep the tubes matching for left and right channels.
Lowrider, so start
LEFT: Mazda-Mullard Mullard-Mazda :RIGHT
then try
LEFT: Mullard-Mazda Mazda-Mullard :RIGHT

and then decide?
PS Lowrider, I salute your forensic skills, the photos online of Nat gear number the fingers on my hands, to find a pic of Utopia chassis revealed is impressive.
Thanx for your invaluable feedback.

Lowrider75

Dec 4, 2019
Lowrider, so start
then try

and then decide?
PS Lowrider, I salute your forensic skills, the photos online of Nat gear number the fingers on my hands, to find a pic of Utopia chassis revealed is impressive.
Let's slow down and make sure I'm looking at the right preamp.
It says Nat Utopia, middle of page there's a two chassis preamp.

4 6DJ8
2 6s19p-v

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
I can't access that link, but yes, Nat Utopia.
Tube layout is as you describe.

Lowrider75

Dec 4, 2019
Lowrider, so start
then try

and then decide?
Without instructions from the designer, that's worth a try. FYI,
the Mullard has a warm sound with not much high-end extension. The Mazda will be more transparent with airy highs.

Change them one at a time until the music sounds more focused.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
So, just these two permutations?

bazelio

Sep 26, 2016
California
That Mullard isn't typical overly warm Mullard fare in the applications I've used it. It doesn't have the snap and dynamism of the Mazda, but it has more body, isn't syrupy, and detail is reasonably good. This is why I suggested the combo to Marc. All that said, tubes don't have a sound. It's always the entire circuit that creates the sound. Marc just needs to try some combinations and see what he hears. At this point, it's been (over)analyzed to death while still being complete shots in the dark (e.g. the assumption the inside-outside is mirrored left to right). Note to self to avoid NAT given the apparent total absence of comms.

Lowrider75

Dec 4, 2019
So, just these two permutations?

That Mullard isn't typical overly warm Mullard fare in the applications I've used it. It doesn't have the snap and dynamism of the Mazda, but it has more body, isn't syrupy, and detail is reasonably good. This is why I suggested the combo to Marc. All that said, tubes don't have a sound. It's always the entire circuit that creates the sound. Marc just needs to try some combinations and see what he hears. At this point, it's been (over)analyzed to death while still being complete shots in the dark (e.g. the assumption the inside-outside is mirrored left to right). Note to self to avoid NAT given the apparent total absence of comms.
What type of Mullard is it?
Longplate square getter, Longplate O-getter,
Shortplate?

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Brian, proof is always in the pudding.
Tbh, I'm gonna just stick to these two combinations, and see what transpires.

Re not going Nat...well, I can't deny comms are poor w them. What I also can't deny is how good the sound is.

Good news is that my teething issues are behind me, and SQ is massively enhanced. I've now ordered some '80s NOS gold pin Voskhod Rockets 6N1P for my SE2SE monos, and if I can drag tube bias voltage info out of Nat, I'm seriously considering the Mayer Elrog 211 tubes.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
What type of Mullard is it?
Longplate square getter, Longplate O-getter,
Shortplate?
Lowrider, sorry I can't help there, I only buy the things.

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
Tim, there's my issue. Nat Audio are in Belgrade, almost never answer emails, noone speaks fluent English.

Tbh, I'm not sure what I should be asking...the stock tubes are all one brand. The last thing I was expecting Brent to recommend was two brands of 6DJ8 tubes. Hence my quandary.

Hmmm ... too bad about the manufacturer.

Did BJ say why he recommended two different brands of 6DJ8 when stock is all the same? That's kinda strange. Mullards and Mazda - that's something you'd do when you only have two of each left. Using one to compensate or counter balance for the other.

Four NOS '70's Amperex 6922 Orange Globes would have done the trick for not much dinero.

But, sounds like you're settled with what you have. Have fun rolling.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing