Measuring power line noise with the TriField EM100, and the impressive effect of Shyunyata products

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
... and here's how much the alligator wires themselves contribute to this noise pick up - negligible

Baseline - No Alligator Wires
no-alligator-wire-IMG_4812.JPG

Alligator Wires
alligator-wire-IMG_4816.JPG

Kingsrule

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2011
As it turns out, the Pass XP-25 comes with a Ching Cheng, which I dug up and measured. As expected, it is slightly more noisy, picking up radiant EMI along its length, and we know this is not a shielded cord, which also means it radiates hum (also measured separately with a simple electrical device). Part of it may be the alligator wire as well. You would not expect this stuff to be anything worth more than what they sell for; this is a typical run-of-the-mill cord, and what I call high-end audio junk

Ching Cheng
View attachment 78558

View attachment 78560

Baseline Wall Outlet
View attachment 78561

Ching Cheng
View attachment 78562
FYI That's not the ddk CC cord......and do u really think u can hear 19.0 vs 23.4? I think not.....

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
FYI That's not the ddk CC cord......and do u really think u can hear 19.0 vs 23.4? I think not.....
Yup, and I said none of that. Personally I care more about the fact the cords are not shielded and radiate hum than the noise they pick up; plus the quality of the copper and overall construction. These are what we call stock cords.

Last edited:

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
I am not sure if anyone is calling CC power cords 'high end'. They are the better of the 'stock cords'. That some are happy with them probably says more about their gear and possibly electrical infrastructure; as well as any CC absence of egregious colorations vs any superior contruction aspects.

Iirc this is the cord that Naim used with all their gear back in the day?

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA

AndrewChen

Jul 27, 2018
Therein lies the rub. We think it is those QR/BB devices in there that render that effect.

Good point.

There are two patents associated with Shunyata’s “QB/BB” technology - the US 10,031,536 one specifically explains how its storing charges for supply during instantaneous draw, so that explains the SureTest Analyzer's results.

There's an interesting caveat in the Patent: "Note should be made that the inventive circuit operates only in a power system where current is drawn in pulses. It has no advantageous effect in a system where current draw is linear across the entire AC waveform."

So, good for Power Amplifiers perhaps, but not so useful for frontends?

Last edited:

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
"Note should be made that the inventive circuit operates only in a power system where current is drawn in pulses. It has no advantageous effect in a system where current draw is linear across the entire AC waveform."

So, good for Power Amplifiers perhaps, but not so useful for frontends?
Our analog power supplies are drawing current in pulses, at around the peaks (positive and negative) of the waveforms. He is probably excluding digital power supplies.

Kingsrule

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2011
Yup, and I said none of that. Personally I care more about the fact the cords are not shielded and radiate hum than the noise they pick up; plus the quality of the copper and overall construction. These are what we call stock cords.
Who's we?

AndrewChen

Jul 27, 2018
Our analog power supplies are drawing current in pulses, at around the peaks (positive and negative) of the waveforms. He is probably excluding digital power supplies.

Which component's analog power supply specifically do you mean? And how do you know this to be true if you don't mind my asking? (Other than it being mentioned on Shunyata’s write-ups).

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Which component's analog power supply specifically do you mean? And how do you know this to be true if you don't mind my asking? (Other than it being mentioned on Shunyata’s write-ups).
This is basic common analog power supply knowledge. This is also partly why there are associated capacitor banks. And I am referring to any component that would be using such analog power supplies

Last edited:

ArnoFenn

Oct 28, 2020
Great topic, something I have been looking forward to is to have more Shunyata measurement data. I would also be very curious what the RCL values are of a Denali/Everest unit. Eg. Input-output 1 line, resistive of inductive. Input between 2 lines, capacitance, Output shorted and measured RCL on inputs etc.

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA

Attachments

• emi-filter-baseline-noise-IMG_4821.JPG
    emi-filter-baseline-noise-IMG_4821.JPG
    768.5 KB · Views: 20
  • emi-filter-output-noise-IMG_4820.JPG
    emi-filter-output-noise-IMG_4820.JPG
    785.7 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:
Reactions: K3RMIT

ArnoFenn

Oct 28, 2020
The filter might be functional outside the range of the meter. Also there should be an actual load connected to the output (the meter is rather a high impedance)

ArnoFenn

Oct 28, 2020
Would you also have a multimeter with a R, C and/or L measurement option?

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
The filter might be functional outside the range of the meter. Also there should be an actual load connected to the output (the meter is rather a high impedance)
Good point - let me repeat
Would you also have a multimeter with a R, C and/or L measurement option?
Yes, but not needed, here are the values of the filter from another manufacturer (and there are a few more with the same exact execution)

Screen Shot 2021-05-30 at 2.50.26 PM.png

ArnoFenn

Oct 28, 2020
Was more thinking of RCL measurements on the Shunyata ;-)

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Was more thinking of RCL measurements on the Shunyata ;-)
There are no capacitors or coils in the Shunyata, but I will see what I can do. Meantime, using a 12V electronic transformer as load to the EMI-reducing device confirms that, YES there is a drop in noise, and the more current I draw (by turning up the lights) the lower the noise floor, but not very significant either: 348.1 mVp-p down to 332.8. I am going to edit my previous post and strikethrough what I said and correct it.

Baseline:
baseline-IMG_4831.JPG

With load:
with-load-IMG_4829.JPG

ArnoFenn

Oct 28, 2020
Even when there are no actual inductors or capaictors in the Shunyata...there can still be inductance and/or capacitance/resistance ;-)

AndrewChen

Jul 27, 2018
This is basic common analog power supply knowledge. This is also partly why there are associated capacitor banks. And I am referring to any component that would be using such analog power supplies

IIRC from Engineering classes, within normal power supplies, the smoothing capacitors banks post-rectification have a current flow thats “pulsed” in nature due to their charge/discharge cycles (“ripple current”), and these get smoothed out with additional capacitors post power supply. However, I don’t believe that necessarily equates to the component as a whole drawing current from the mains in pulses.

So, is it really common knowledge? If so, do you have links pointing to such details? It sure seem like Shunyata are the only ones talking about this.

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
However, I don’t believe that necessarily equates to the component as a whole drawing current from the mains in pulses.
I don’t think anyone said the whole component draws current in pulses. We said the analog power supply of the component does, and then Shunyata claim they can improve the instantaneous current delivery as discussed in the patent, because their products interact with said power supplies. Any arguing should be done with them not anyone else. However, measurements posted do show such behavior. If you think otherwise, or that the measuring device does not represent a real analog power supply, so be it.

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing