Magico S5 vs Wilson Alexia

Status
Not open for further replies.

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Yes. I bought Mike's S5s, and love them. Who cares if they are better/worse than the S3/Alexia. I didn't spend all this money on power, electronics, cables, and now speakers to worry if something else is a nuance better. I like to listen to music, and now it sounds pretty darn good, whether it is backgrond music, or a Friday night when I can sit back with a few beers and just drift away while listening. At this point, assuming something doesn't break, I am just saving my money to recoup all that I have spent over the last few years, and enjoying the music, and could care less if something else might reveal an obscure tone in the background that I never noticied before.

Also, basic reading comprehension skills shows Mike was as clear as could be in his explanation as to why he is moving away from the Alexia to high-efficency speakers, and low power amps. Talk about arguing over nothing. :rolleyes:

How many hours do you think your S5s had on them when you bought them?

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013

Not sure, but they have a lot more on them now. They were only 3-4 months old when I bought them in March.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Those "gear changers" are a boon for the rest of us. They support the industry by buying lots of new gear and make lots of used gear in good condition available to the rest of us!

Sorry to say that I know of some "gear changers" who buy mostly demo or used equipment ... :cool:

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
(...) Mike was as clear as could be in his explanation as to why he is moving away from the Alexia to high-efficency speakers, and low power amps. Talk about arguing over nothing. :rolleyes:

+1!

Priaptor

Member Sponsor
Jan 28, 2012
FL

Hey all the power to him. Let him and all that love changing out their gear do as they want.

The issue becomes when someone makes a dogmatic absolute statement and several months later they are dumping the gear they were so hot on like he has done with his last only God knows how many speakers, DACs, etc.

People actually look for advice and just can't take some of these post seriously. His reasons for moving away from Alexias are very clear just as his reasons for justifying his purchase of them several months ago.

I am sure there will be another thread soon about how the best is some 300B amp and Harbeth 3 months before selling it providing a great opportunity for some like rbbert.

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
I know a couple of people that Fed Ex and UPS trucks couldn't pass their house with a full tank of gas. They buy more gear in a week than most audiophiles buy in 10 years. Even if there was actually a day when the Fed Ex or UPS driver didn't actually have a delivery for them, they would stop out of habit at their house.

i think everyone does it once in their audiophile lifetime...then you figure out what sound you prefer and don't have to do it anymore. and you stop looking at DACs in particular :) wasting lots of time on digital is a fool's errand.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Hey all the power to him. Let him and all that love changing out their gear do as they want.

The issue becomes when someone makes a dogmatic absolute statement and several months later they are dumping the gear they were so hot on like he has done with his last only God knows how many speakers, DACs, etc.

People actually look for advice and just can't take some of these post seriously. His reasons for moving away from Alexias are very clear just as his reasons for justifying his purchase of them several months ago.

I am sure there will be another thread soon about how the best is some 300B amp and Harbeth 3 months before selling it providing a great opportunity for some like rbbert.

You should understand Mike is an audiophile and music lover but also an audio forum owner and administrator. He is sometimes overenthusiastic when he reports his experiences, but as most of us he does not want to become an audio prophet or adviser. I can imagine that he will change his equipment very often, and I hope I will be able to follow his adventures in his forum, and occasionally read from him in WBF.

IMHO some people imagine they can find guidance from audio forums - a terrible mistake in my opinions, except occasionally. We can find llots of information and entertainment, but little else IMHO.

I am trembling just imagining what people will tell about me when I sell my Alexia's! ;)

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
You should understand Mike is an audiophile and music lover but also an audio forum owner and administrator. He is sometimes overenthusiastic when he reports his experiences, but as most of us he does not want to become an audio prophet or adviser. I can imagine that he will change his equipment very often, and I hope I will be able to follow his adventures in his forum, and occasionally read from him in WBF.

IMHO some people imagine they can find guidance from audio forums - a terrible mistake in my opinions, except occasionally. We can find llots of information and entertainment, but little else IMHO.

I am trembling just imagining what people will tell about me when I sell my Alexia's! ;)

No we'll only tremble when you sell you Sound Labs! :)

mbovaird

Banned
Jan 5, 2013

I just don't understand the hate here. When you experience gear in your own home (actually live with it), you have a much greater understanding and appreciation of it. People who don't like to swap gear and give up those experiences love to hate those that do. I just don't understand it. Like I said - if you're not a gear swapper, don't try to understand it - you never will. Personally, I don't understand the cable swappers....but I don't hate on them for trying different cables (which almost seems weekly).

I never proclaimed that the Alexia's were the greatest speakers of all time, but I never wavered one bit from my enthusiasm for them.

So at the end of the day, people can read my opinion and reviews on various gear and as always, take it with a grain of salt and ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS do their own listening and research or they can read your opinion on living with different gear - which is....uhhh....very little.

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
I just swapped out three DACs, a preamp, a poweramp, a music server and my signal cables over the last two months - does that make me a gear swapper? If these MM3s were not so god damn heavy, I would have bought the pair of Magico S5's listed on audiogon for $22K as well. Only way to find out what you like is to compare gear under personal room conditions, decide what you like best and sell the loser. This results in a lot of net gear swapping - sometimes the incumbent wins, but this still results in an audiogon listing and trip to fedex.

joeinid

Mar 14, 2011
NY
:p

I'm on a first name basis with all my drivers. All great guys.

I know a couple of people that Fed Ex and UPS trucks couldn't pass their house with a full tank of gas. They buy more gear in a week than most audiophiles buy in 10 years. Even if there was actually a day when the Fed Ex or UPS driver didn't actually have a delivery for them, they would stop out of habit at their house.

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
If these MM3s were not so god damn heavy, I would have bought the pair of Magico S5's listed on audiogon for $22K as well. Only way to find out what you like is to compare gear under personal room conditions, decide what you like best and sell the loser. This results in a lot of net gear swapping - sometimes the incumbent wins, but this still results in an audiogon listing and trip to fedex.

So when is Kevin coming to dial in your speakers? Maybe you'll have second thoughts about the Magico if that happens!

joeinid

Mar 14, 2011
NY

Not sure, but they have a lot more on them now. They were only 3-4 months old when I bought them in March.

It's a win for all involved. Mike moved some speakers and Bud got a great deal. I don't see any problem.

Some guys buy/sell cars or watches or whatever, it's no different.

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
So when is Kevin coming to dial in your speakers? Maybe you'll have second thoughts about the Magico if that happens!

No imminent plans. To be honest, I had pretty much resigned myself to the idea of selling them and try the S5s, but the spectral amps are breathing a whole new level of life into the MM3s, so I'm in no hurry to try the S5s anymore. I decided against the Alexia's based on hearing them at a dealer. The S3s at Axpona seriously triggered my interest in Magico.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
:p

I'm on a first name basis with all my drivers. All great guys.

ROTFLMAO!

That's 'til you catch them tossing a box over the fence! :)

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
It's a win for all involved. Mike moved some speakers and Bud got a great deal. I don't see any problem.

Some guys buy/sell cars or watches or whatever, it's no different.

+1

Whatever floats 'yet boat! :)

People look at me and ask why do you need all those records? Come to think of it, why do I need all those records?

Priaptor

Member Sponsor
Jan 28, 2012
FL

No one is saying there is a problem or as Mike psychotically states "hate".

Hey life is short and to each his own and whatever he/she wants to do is great if it makes them happy. If gear swapping makes people happy great (I have done my share) if listening makes one happy great.

The point I am making which I guess some are missing are the absolute dogmatic accolades of their purchase vs others some use to describe their current gear and two months later, in some cases before the stuff is even burned in it is out their door. How can one take their posts seriously no matter what the rationalization?

When I read this or some other comments how Wilson can't work with ARC I laugh. Or the utterly absurd defense of ones S1 v S3 v S5 v Alexia when every system, with few exceptions are mated to different amps, preamps, etc in different listening environments.

Kind of reminds me of Mantle versus Mays arguments when I was kid. I understand a 5 year old believing Mantle had to have sucked to justify why Mays was much better but come on, as adults ??

Bodhi

Apr 20, 2014
When I read this or some other comments how Wilson can't work with ARC I laugh.
Agreed, hence one of the reasons why mbovaird was wrong to completely dismiss my assessment of the Alexias running on ARC equipment.

Or the utterly absurd defense of ones S1 v S3 v S5 v Alexia when every system, with few exceptions are mated to different amps, preamps, etc in different listening environments.
Partially correct, though it would be foolish to completely dismiss valid observations based on easily definable character traits, including subjective flaws due to the absence of a double blind test. Secondly in regard to S3 vs S5; the S5's have a inherent advantage over the S3 due to their footers and weight. With Stillpoints now offering the option of threading on both the bottom and top of Stillpoints Ultra 5 feet, using the optional thread adaptors, S5's can be set up with a full set of 3 Ultra 5's with Ultra bases in the optimal sloped side up orientation. Given the widely acknowledged significant benefits of Ultra 5's with Ultra bases, the fact that Ultra 5's work best under speakers, and the fact the S5's weight would mean the U5's would be operating more in their optimal weight range, this gives the S5's a distinct advantage over the S3's whose outrigger spikes preclude using Stillpoints in any optimal coupling.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing