Magico S5 vs Wilson Alexia

Status
Not open for further replies.

mbovaird

Banned
Jan 5, 2013
Has anyone compared these speakers head-to-head? I would be interested in your comments...

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
Not head to head, but I'd go for the NOLA Baby Grand over either of these (I'm not sure about relative pricing, though).

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
I have listened to both several times in the same room and now own Alexia's (still burning in). IMHO you can not compare them. The S5 does not have the resolution, the scale and the "feeling there" qualities of the Alexia. Anyway the comparison if unfair - prices are very different. However, if for any reason you dislike one of them, the choice is obvious.

mbovaird

Banned
Jan 5, 2013
I have listened to both several times in the same room and now own Alexia's (still burning in). IMHO you can not compare them. The S5 does not have the resolution, the scale and the "feeling there" qualities of the Alexia. Anyway the comparison if unfair - prices are very different. However, if for any reason you dislike one of them, the choice is obvious.

What happened to the Aida's?

Frank750

VIP/Donor
Jul 8, 2011

But what did happen to the Aidas? Did you ditch them for the Alexia?

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com

And here's me to say the exact opposite. The Alexia is nowhere near the S5 in terms of resolution, transparency, and weight. You can sit 2 meters from an Alexia, and get no bass presence at all.
I'd chose an S1 before an Alexia.
My music of choice is rock and jazz, old and new, with a few large scale orchestra pieces in between. For this kind of music, the Wilsons just don't do it for me.

alexandre

mbovaird

Banned
Jan 5, 2013
And here's me to say the exact opposite. The Alexia is nowhere near the S5 in terms of resolution, transparency, and weight. You can sit 2 meters from an Alexia, and get no bass presence at all.
My music of choice is rock and jazz, old and new, with a few large scale orchestra pieces in between. For this kind of music, the Wilsons just don't do it for me.

alexandre

I'm glad to read this....I'm leaning strongly toward the S5's now. The difference in price buys a lot of other stuff to boot.

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com

alexandre

And I would have to disagree. I heard the S1 at the show and thought they sucked big time. I much better preferred the S5.

Orb

Sep 8, 2010
Key for all the above speakers is what to use with the them.
I do feel Magico seem to convey the electronics more (appreciate others will say the opposite hehe), this can be a very good thing or bad if the electronics do not fit ones preference or have anomalies.

Cheers
Orb

mbovaird

Banned
Jan 5, 2013
Key for all the above speakers is what to use with the them.
I do feel Magico seem to convey the electronics more (appreciate others will say the opposite hehe), this can be a very good thing or bad if the electronics do not fit ones preference or have anomalies.

Cheers
Orb

Thanks Orb. I've demoed the S5's several times now and I found they work really well with a variety of different amps. I've heard them with Vitus, Constellation, Spectral, Sim and others. They never disappointed.

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
For about the same price as the S5, what about the Rockport Avior or the TAD Evolution One??

mbovaird

Banned
Jan 5, 2013
For about the same price as the S5, what about the Rockport Avior or the TAD Evolution One??

I heard the Rockports several times now and they just don't do it for me. The TAD E1's with tubes are ok...but again, I think the S5 is a much better speaker. YMMV.

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
Yes, I would definitely not say "better"; perhaps more to your taste. For example, most people at this forum are probably astonished that you consider the Alexia comparable in any way to the S5, but personally from what I've heard from the 4 speakers (Magico, Rockport, TAD and Wilson) they are roughly comparable, probably an insult to Wilson...

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010

What about them? Did the OP ask people to chime in with any speakers they liked at the same price point as the Magico S5 and the Wilson Alexia? Or, did the OP ask people if they have heard the Magico S5 and the Wilson Alexias and compared them head-to-head? I'm pretty sure the OP didn't ask people to give opinions on other speakers that sell "for about the same price" or other speakers that other people liked better than the two he inquired about. This is the second time in this thread you have provided alternative speakers when the OP is simply asking if people have heard both the Magico S5 and the Wilson Alexia speakers and compared them head-to-head.

mbovaird

Banned
Jan 5, 2013
What about them? Did the OP ask people to chime in with any speakers they liked at the same price point as the Magico S5 and the Wilson Alexia? Or, did the OP ask people if they have heard the Magico S5 and the Wilson Alexias and compared them head-to-head? I'm pretty sure the OP didn't ask people to give opinions on other speakers that sell "for about the same price" or other speakers that other people liked better than the two he inquired about. This is the second time in this thread you have provided alternative speakers when the OP is simply asking if people have heard both the Magico S5 and the Wilson Alexia speakers and compared them head-to-head.

Very interesting comments indeed. I always find it interesting that we audiophiles equate price with sound. If it costs more, it must sound better? The one thing I learned during my 6 month journey to find new speakers was the importance of being honest with myself. The S5 soundly trumps the Q5 IMO. Others I know strongly disagree. To me, the S5 is comparable to the Alexia's and even other speakers costing more....much more....

Once we eliminate the "it costs more so it must be better" mentality, we are free to be honest with ourselves and ultimately make better choices.

mauidan

Member Sponsor
Aug 2, 2010
Pukalani, HI
Prices for S5 changed 01/01/13.

$29400 M-CAST finish
$32500 M-COAT finish
New prices include grille.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    133.1 KB · Views: 1,683
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    148.5 KB · Views: 1,690
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing