bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Reactions: AudioGod

dcathro

Sep 16, 2016
Melbourne, Australia
Maybe he was referring to money. How much to make them sing.

They are unlikely to be put in a system costing less than $1M (without the speakers).

Reactions: AudioGod

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
Maybe he was referring to money. How much to make them sing.
Pick your poison:) I think anyone buying $375K speakers will probably spend at least $100K on pre/amp(s), if not more. I think you could spend $20K on a preamp and another $30K on a good quality stereo amp and in the size of room that they sit in Paris make them sound very good.

The one pair of M7s that I have already sold has $180K between the pre/stereo amp.

I am going to drive my M7s with around $180K between the pre/stereo amp. The same set up that the customer that bought the M7s is using.

With 92db efficiency even though they will respond to power you don't need monster amps to drive them. Quality amps vs pure power would be my choice.

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong

ScottK

Apr 30, 2023
mars
Quality amps vs pure power would be my choice.
Are you suggesting manufacturers like Boulder, Gryphon, and Dan D'Agostino need not apply? Please explain quality vs pure power?

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
Are you suggesting manufacturers like Boulder, Gryphon, and Dan D'Agostino need not apply? Please explain quality vs pure power?

What this means is whatever amps Rhapsody sells.

TLi

May 27, 2016
I ordered a pair of M7, expected delivery date is March/April 2024. They will be driven by a pair of Kondo Kagura 2i tube amp, 50W per channel. They are currently driving my M6 and I am very satisfied with the performance.

I used many different amps, both tube and solid state, on M6. They included ARC Reference 250, Passlabs Xs250 and Constellation Hercules II. The current Kondo tube amp sounds best.

My impression of quality amps vs pure power is good speakers like M6/M7 carry high resolution. All the good and bad characters of amp is fully presented. Good speakers also have good dynamic and bass expansion, so they doesn't need raw power from amp to boost just that. Raw power often, not always, has less detailed sound. I have tried several high power tube and solid amps and finally settle with a moderate power tube amp for its refined sound.

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
I ordered a pair of M7, expected delivery date is March/April 2024. They will be driven by a pair of Kondo Kagura 2i tube amp, 50W per channel. They are currently driving my M6 and I am very satisfied with the performance.

I used many different amps, both tube and solid state, on M6. They included ARC Reference 250, Passlabs Xs250 and Constellation Hercules II. The current Kondo tube amp sounds best.

My impression of quality amps vs pure power is good speakers like M6/M7 carry high resolution. All the good and bad characters of amp is fully presented. Good speakers also have good dynamic and bass expansion, so they doesn't need raw power from amp to boost just that. Raw power often, not always, has less detailed sound. I have tried several high power tube and solid amps and finally settle with a moderate power tube amp for its refined sound.
congrats TLi, very happy for you. your super system takes a big step forward. it will have to sound awesome!!!

Kagura seems about perfect in your medium size room. might be the very best choice for those who can swing it.

ScottK

Apr 30, 2023
mars
driven by a pair of Kondo Kagura 2i tube amp, 50W per channel.
Those are beautiful amps! What will the lowest impedance be for the M7? I guess it all depends on seating distance, room size, and type of music. I typically listen at 80-85 Db and rarely go over 40-50 watts but it does happen. I do believe in adequate headroom.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
Those are beautiful amps! What will the lowest impedance be for the M7? I guess it all depends on seating distance, room size, and type of music. I typically listen at 80-85 Db and rarely go over 40-50 watts but it does happen. I do believe in adequate headroom.

The impedance curve for the Magico M2 is nasty, with dips to 2.3 Ohm:

Phase angle behavior in that same graph (Fig.1, see also descriptive text) is also difficult.

This is *not* a tube-friendly speaker.

Of course, the M7 is a very different speaker, but given that Magico obviously doesn't care about keeping impedance and phase angle friendly, I would not expect a complete turnaround on basic philosophy on that speaker.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
WOW! These pics give some better idea of the size of these new speakers. I really like the overall shape and scale for more typical listener room sizes. The M9s really demand a sizable room, the M7s ought to play well in somewhat more modest spaces (like my room ;)).

How large is your room?

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I ordered a pair of M7, expected delivery date is March/April 2024. They will be driven by a pair of Kondo Kagura 2i tube amp, 50W per channel.

This is very interesting to me: 50 watts on a 92dB, 4 ohms large, full-range speaker with four big drivers to control and high order cross-overs to penetrate. A priori I would have thought that this is not sufficient power.

But I would love to hear Kagura on them! Based on my recent Jadis experience I think JA200s also would be very interesting.

I love the idea of high-quality tubes on Magicos!

Last edited:
Reactions: shakti and ctydwn

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
The impedance curve for the Magico M2 is nasty, with dips to 2.3 Ohm:

in the interview I asked Jeff Fritz what is the lowest value to which the impedance curve dips across the frequency range. He said he was not aware of any significant dip below 4 ohms. (Of course this was not a conclusive reply, because he might simply not be aware.)

Reactions: adyc

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany
This is very interesting to me: 50 watts on a 92dB, 4 ohms large, full-range speaker with four big drivers to control and high order cross-overs to penetrate. A priori I would have thought that this is not sufficient power.

But I would love to hear Kagura on them! Based on my recent Jadis experience I think JA200s also would be very interesting.

I love the idea of high-quality tubes on Magicos!
Be careful sometimes efficiency is exaggerated. An 8 ohm speaker measures a distance of 2.83 volts/1 m (1 watt of power) and a 4 ohm speaker measures 2.00 volts/1 m. If the datasheet says 2.83 volts/1m for a 4 ohm speaker, then you actually have 2-3 dB less efficiency.So always pay attention to the manufacturer's information on how measurements were taken.;)
Formula P=U²/R

Last edited:

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Be careful sometimes efficiency is exaggerated.
I assume a manufacturer's reported speaker sensitivity is the highest number it reasonably could get away with.

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
in the interview I asked Jeff Fritz what is the lowest value to which the impedance curve dips across the frequency range. He said he was not aware of any significant dip below 4 ohms. (Of course this was not a conclusive reply, because he might simply not be aware.)

That says a lot from those comments.

It is clear from Atkinson's measurements of the M2 that he was talking out of his hat or disingenuous

Reactions: bonzo75

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany
I assume a manufacturer's reported speaker sensitivity is the highest number it reasonably could get away with.
You need to look at the impedance curve of the speaker 20hz - 20khz then you will know whether that is correct. Measurements are facts that can be relied upon if they are taken correctly.

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany
That says a lot from those comments.

It is clear from Atkinson's measurements of the M2 that he was talking out of his hat or disingenuous
Exsample mesurements reveals a lot about the speaker. The blue line that I drew shows the impedance curve 4 ohm in the audio frequency band. The impedance peak in the bass says that it is a sealed speaker. A bass reflex always has two impedance peak,the tuning frequency (port) and fs resonance from the bass. the peak at 2khz (red marked) comes from the inserted fliter and transition to the tweeter. If someone listens to this with set tube amps, I would smooth it out with an RCL element, because otherwise it plays much too loudly in the 1khz-4khz range. The ear is most sensitive at the point. The peak in the bass is not critical for the ear.
20231118_085235.jpg

Reactions: Argonaut

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing