Magico Fans: Big News: The new S1 floorstander...$12,600

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
Hey Magico fans:

I just received a press release announcing the new Magico S1...

Beryllium tweeter..nano tec drivers...available in colors

goes down to 35 hz...$12,600.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
magico_s1_08_2012.jpg

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
maybe it has side woofers not shown in the picture?

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Sections | Headline, Hi-Fi, Latest News, TED
Magico introduces The S1
Posted on Aug 09, 2012 by the News Room

Magico LLC, the leader in high-performance loudspeaker design and manufacture, is pleased to announce its newest and most value-laden loudspeaker yet, the S1. Following the recent introduction of the already-renowned S5, its smaller sibling, the S1, offers Magico performance at a price point never before attainable.

In 2004, the MINI, Magico’s first commercial product, set new benchmarks for what can be achieved with two drivers in a sealed enclosure, immediately changing the landscape of the High-End audio industry. Widely heralded as the world’s first “super monitor” and one of the most momentous loudspeakers in audio history, the MINI placed Magico among the most influential loudspeaker manufacturers in the world. eight years later, with numerous landmark loudspeakers introduced in the interim. the S1 continues this legacy. Featuring a uniquely contoured cabinet drawing design cues from the MINI and M6, the S1 utilizes the world’s first monocoque 3/8? thick, 12” diameter extruded aluminum loudspeaker enclosure, minimizing diffraction effects, internal resonance, and damping requirements. At only 9 inches deep and available in an array of Magico’s new M-COAT® paint blends, the S1 will fit effortlessly into any listening environment, making it the most versatile and accessible Magico product to date

The floor-standing, two-way, S1 incorporates an entirely new 7” Magico Nano-Tec® Midbass driver with the same beryllium tweeter featured in the S5, making it capable of astonishing output. The S1’s new 7” Midbass dual-neodymium underhung motor system with pure titanium voice coil-former is powerfully efficient and low in distortion. As with all Magico drivers, the latest custom computer simulations are used to optimize electromagnetic and thermal behavior.

Tireless research and development in conjunction with new manufacturing techniques have provided the means for a distinct new product that is undoubtedly Magico. Continuing an uncompromising commitment to quality, design and performance, we are proud to welcome the S1 as the latest addition to our incomparable line of loudspeakers.

Specifications
Driver Complement:
1 X 1” MB30 Tweeter
1 X 7” M390 Mid-Woofer
Sensitivity: 86dB
Impedance: 4 Ohms
Frequency Response: 32 Hz – 50 kHz
Recommended Minimum Power: 50 Watts
Dimensions: 43? H x 8.5? D x 9.75? W (109 cm x 22 cm x 25 cm)
Weight: 95 lbs. (43 kg.)

The US Retail Price of the Magico S1 will start at $12,600/pr.
Delivery will begin in Q4 2012.

Son-Or Filtronique
9343, Lajeunesse Montréal QC H2M 1S5
Tél.: (514) 389-1377
www.filtronique.com
www.magico.net

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
Now it's 32 Hz and amazingly up to 50 Khz

I still can't fathom that midrange driver playing down to 32 Hz

Color me skeptical

Yeh, I misread the press release..small print! it is 32 hz...my Thiel CS2.4 does the mid 30's with the addition of passive radiator....so it is certainly possible.

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
I'm curious as to whether that speaker with those drivers goes down to 35 Hz

I always am curious about two way floor standers...to me they look like monitors that go all the way down the floor, and I wonder what the point is. Why pay for all the extra cabinet instead of stands?

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Ron -it should be available at RMAF 2012.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
I always am curious about two way floor standers...to me they look like monitors that go all the way down the floor, and I wonder what the point is. Why pay for all the extra cabinet instead of stands?

Andre

Good point that I have never considered and it makes perfect sense what you say

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Maybe the added enclousre space augments the bass?

Ron Party

WBF Founding Member
Apr 30, 2010
Oakland, CA
Greg, it would not surprise me if Alon did not figure out a way to keep it fairly flat down to 32. Time will tell. OTOH, 86dB is a non-starter for me.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Greg, it would not surprise me if Alon did not figure out a way to keep it fairly flat down to 32. Time will tell. OTOH, 86dB is a non-starter for me.

I'll wager it sells like hotcakes.

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com

Agree. Wolf would not put it out if he did not have it engineered correctly. He is a perfectionist.

The low sensitivity is probably due to the very stiff driver material.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Very good point. But with no port or passive radiator..it that extra enclosure space may not help.

You can bet oe thing. Alon will not hide. He answers every question, even if you don't like the answer.

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Bass depends greatly on enclosure volume, so it is possible for this speaker to reach that low. back in the days the Sonus Faber Electa Amator did reach an honest 45 Hz with surprising aplomb but it was aported design ... I liked this little speaker ...
I would worry about Power compression though 86 dB is low and the real sensitivity with the low impedance ( I suppose nominal 4 Ohms) is closer to 83 dB IMO ... 200 watts to get things moving ...

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing