Lampizator Golden Gate Balanced Playing DSD256 and DSD512

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
Bill, ironically, the problem with Lampizator's upgrade is that, we never know what is the latest r2r PCM because every time one makes a purchase (at different time), he believes it would be the latest and only God knows what Lukasz has been doing all the time in his yard. LOL..I ordered mine back to mid of July and received it in the August this year. It was the first red pcb and by that time, it was the DSD512 engine and latest r2r PCM, too. But after a week, Lukasz has released the gold pcb. LOL..I looked at his FB page and like: What!!!???

Hi Ferrox,

I can understand why you would say that but I think you have to just adopt a different philosophy with Lampi ownership - accept that your particular dac sounds wonderful anyway but that evolution will occur at rapid rate. Saving grace is that Lampi don't charge much to bring your dac up to latest spec so you never get lumbered with a redundant machine - you'll not find many manufacturers doing that and if you do, it'll cost you big time.

Cheers

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Bill, ironically, the problem with Lampizator's upgrade is that, we never know what is the latest r2r PCM because every time one makes a purchase (at different time), he believes it would be the latest and only God knows what Lukasz has been doing all the time in his yard. LOL..I ordered mine back to mid of July and received it in the August this year. It was the first red pcb and by that time, it was the DSD512 engine and latest r2r PCM, too. But after a week, Lukasz has released the gold pcb. LOL..I looked at his FB page and like: What!!!???

Hi Ferrox, I found my old B7 better than anything I compared it to. Further upgrades are due to Lukasz's OCD of always DIYing and improving and the audiophile's OCD of always wanting to get the incremental what's best.

ferrox

Jun 16, 2016
Jakarta, Indonesia
www.primes.asia
Hi Ferrox,

I can understand why you would say that but I think you have to just adopt a different philosophy with Lampi ownership - accept that your particular dac sounds wonderful anyway but that evolution will occur at rapid rate. Saving grace is that Lampi don't charge much to bring your dac up to latest spec so you never get lumbered with a redundant machine - you'll not find many manufacturers doing that and if you do, it'll cost you big time.

Cheers

Yeaa..after making the purchased, we have to turn blind eyes on what Lukasz is doing. Until next year, we can start to see what is new by that time. LOL..but I should agree with you on this Bill. Be grateful. :)

youurayy

Sep 18, 2016
I did manage to undertake some brief 512 upsampling in foobar (foobar is less intensive on a computer) via laptop - I started with native double dsd to octuple dsd and it was staggering. Alas my computer could only hack about 30 seconds before stuttering. Looking forward to what SGM will sound like on the octuple.

Bill, please have you been able to discern a difference in sound quality between the 256 and 512 with Foobar?

I need to decide between Atlantic 256+R2R vs Atlantic 512-only.

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
While I am sending my headac out fir some mods one being 512 chip less , I would get the Atlantic for r2d to do both first . No switching for formats is a must have . The dsd is very good , In a shootout with my new big 7 and a golden gate that switched for formats there no in your face moments both were very close . The tubes mAttered far more than the dacs .
512 is a tough fight to play . Has anyone tried off line upsample then play. In this way the CPU does much less work having to encode and decode at the same time. If it's better let's see. My new DAC has all ladder for both dsd and PCM no chip less this was used as a comparison with the golden gate .
I think for the most part the ladder doing both is great.

youurayy

Sep 18, 2016
While I am sending my headac out fir some mods one being 512 chip less , I would get the Atlantic for r2d to do both first . No switching for formats is a must have . The dsd is very good , In a shootout with my new big 7 and a golden gate that switched for formats there no in your face moments both were very close . The tubes mAttered far more than the dacs .
512 is a tough fight to play . Has anyone tried off line upsample then play. In this way the CPU does much less work having to encode and decode at the same time. If it's better let's see. My new DAC has all ladder for both dsd and PCM no chip less this was used as a comparison with the golden gate .
I think for the most part the ladder doing both is great.

I just ordered Amber 2+DSD512 on friday but I'm thinking to upgrade the order to Atlantic (+1.5k if 256dsd+rdr).
Currently with my iFi iDSD micro, with a PC with gaming-grade mainboard and USB3.0 all the way to the micro (through 2 hubs even), I have no issues pushing DSD512. I know the Anamero in Lampis is USB2.0, I hope that's fine too.
I upconvert (pre-render) everything to DSD512 with Foobar except it refuses to do higher than 16-bit PCM files (not a big deal, can try JRiver or HQPlayer later).
I read Lukasz saying DSD256 is the max we need, and he may just be right, since that's already 4x more than what was considered sufficient for SACD.

I'm not entirely sure which DSD engine I'm getting in the Amber2+512 vs Atlantic256 vs Atlantic512. Don't want to innundate L with queries.
I'm a firm DSD pre-render (and native) believer, but my reasoning is that PCM compatibility is a plus for older sources. That said, I have no idea what the native R2R sounds like compared to DSD Foobar pre-render.

youurayy

Sep 18, 2016
I did some more reading, and ... I'm leaving my order on the Amber2+512. (Amber 2 now shares DSD impl with Euforia.) All the components (and thus extra price) of Atlantic seem to be geared for the best ladder PCM possible (with the DSD sharing that ladder), while for my main driver I just prefer pure DSD. The info in this thread also helped me decide, so thanks guys.

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
You can get Atlantic with R2R pcm/dsd AND optional chipless dsd512 on top of that.

That covers all bases.

youurayy

Sep 18, 2016
You can get Atlantic with R2R pcm/dsd AND optional chipless dsd512 on top of that.

That covers all bases.

Thanks, that's good to know, and very tempting. It's currently over my budget, and then I also start to be tempted by the extra rectifier and superclocks. Perhaps this is the way to go, to open (to train?) one's ears to better and better equipment over time. The Amber will give me time to save up for a GG.

I wonder - how long does it usually takes to Lampi to build an unit?

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
Thanks, that's good to know, and very tempting. It's currently over my budget, and then I also start to be tempted by the extra rectifier and superclocks. Perhaps this is the way to go, to open (to train?) one's ears to better and better equipment over time. The Amber will give me time to save up for a GG.

I wonder - how long does it usually takes to Lampi to build an unit?

In case of maxxing the budget, my gut says Atlantic basic with Superclocks..biggest bang for the buck.

youurayy

Sep 18, 2016
That would further break your budget. The previous post was about giving maximum bang for the buck.

I mean, what is the rectifier tube good for -- I tried to find this info and it seems that solid state rectification can be just as good, but the tube can give the sound certain flavor (as normal tubes do), and in the Lampi's case it's the only one that can be rolled.

Anyway, L said too late to change the order (the unit is finished!) so I'm going with the Amber2+DSD512. If it's going to be 3 quarters as good as my cheap-o tubed vinyl then I'm super-happy.

And a thought about the Superclocks (bear with me) -- to convert DSD512 data to a 1-bit stream there has to be (at least) a 22.5792 MHz clock -- that's a second divided into 22.5 million parts -- I wonder what kind of clock-jitter-induced audible distortion could even make it in there. Isn't that already a superclock?

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
I mean, what is the rectifier tube good for -- I tried to find this info and it seems that solid state rectification can be just as good, but the tube can give the sound certain flavor (as normal tubes do), and in the Lampi's case it's the only one that can be rolled.

Anyway, L said too late to change the order (the unit is finished!) so I'm going with the Amber2+DSD512. If it's going to be 3 quarters as good as my cheap-o tubed vinyl then I'm super-happy.

And a thought about the Superclocks (bear with me) -- to convert DSD512 data to a 1-bit stream there has to be (at least) a 22.5792 MHz clock -- that's a second divided into 22.5 million parts -- I wonder what kind of clock-jitter-induced audible distortion could even make it in there. Isn't that already a superclock?
Nah, superclock has own PSU and reduces stress on the Amanero.

It can de done later locally in the US anyway.

youurayy

Sep 18, 2016
Nah, superclock has own PSU and reduces stress on the Amanero.

It can de done later locally in the US anyway.

Got it, thanks. Just today I happened to post-upgrade the order on L's offer with the Superclocks for +300. Great times.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing