LampizatOr Golden Atlantic + TRP

leftside

Jan 22, 2018
The RFT are made by RFT and are from the 1970's.
The GEC are from 1968 and will have the double halo getters at the bottom.
The Brimars were made in the STC factory Oldway/London for the military (CV1947). I can just see the date code - 1966. Nice tubes.

Last edited:
Reactions: christoph

Devg

Feb 16, 2020
I just got an allegedly NOS 5R4GY Brimar NOS w/ dual O getter from India (maybe you've seen the ubiquitous posts on eBay, with lines of boxes, often from totempole_999). Strangely, it doesn't have any markings on it. Out of the box, it sounds good, with a slightly dark tone vs. the relatively brighter -- and I don't think bright -- 596. On the TRP, the shoutiness I mentioned was still there, but it pretty much disappeared when switched to the Supratek preamp, with the 596/EL51 combo in the TRP.

@highstream what Supratek preamp are you using with the TRP ? I am eager to order the Cabaret dual from Mick but there is some pretty long wait time at the moment.

On a different note, does the 5R4GY recti work on all Lampi DAC ? I recently got a Baltic3 and wondering if it would work ? Anybody compare with the EML 5U4G ?

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
On a different note, does the 5R4GY recti work on all Lampi DAC ?
Yes
I recently got a Baltic3 and wondering if it would work ? Anybody compare with the EML 5U4G ?
Will work - no issue.
I have EML 5u4g and in Lampi it just somehow (for me) doesn't work nice - whilst in my preamp it works beautifully.
How is B3 btw?

Reactions: christoph and Devg

Devg

Feb 16, 2020
Yes

Will work - no issue.
I have EML 5u4g and in Lampi it just somehow (for me) doesn't work nice - whilst in my preamp it works beautifully.
How is B3 btw?

Ok, cool. Any particular 5R4GY recommendation ?

B3 sounds very nice. I actually upgraded from Amber3 which I consider a bargain at its price point. The B3 takes the A3 to the next higher level - everything is just more. I am still playing around with some NOS stash, especially with the Sylvania 6SN7s and the Mullard/Valvo 5AR4s I have and trying to figure out.

I am now wondering how much of a difference sound-wise the B3 has over the TRP ? Lampi puts the B3 between A3 and GG2 but didn't mention anything on the TRP. Does the TRP sounds very different from the GG2 ?

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
Ok, cool. Any particular 5R4GY recommendation ?
Huh - so many of them - for me Brimar double mica (I have it); Marconi or Fivre - depends on the funds you're willing to spend. There is a one with hanging filaments and those are quite/very pricey.
B3 sounds very nice. I actually upgraded from Amber3 which I consider a bargain at its price point. The B3 takes the A3 to the next higher level - everything is just more. I am still playing around with some NOS stash, especially with the Sylvania 6SN7s and the Mullard/Valvo 5AR4s I have and trying to figure out.
Super - glad to hear it performs nicely. From few sides i heard the same story and as you said A3 was not a joke either
I am now wondering how much of a difference sound-wise the B3 has over the TRP ? Lampi puts the B3 between A3 and GG2 but didn't mention anything on the TRP. Does the TRP sounds very different from the GG2 ?
I still very much believe TRP should be above B3 - in which sense not sure as I don't know anybody comparing those two side by side.
TRP vs GG2 - yes its a different type of presentation I would say due to DHTs used in GG2 plus some other things, so to me it has more bloom, sounds warmer (not overly at all) and to me it sounds bigger and bolder overall...but I LOVE both (TRP & GG2)

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
The RFT are made by RFT and are from the 1970's.
The GEC are from 1968 and will have the double halo getters at the bottom.
The Brimars were made in the STC factory Oldway/London for the military (CV1947). I can just see the date code - 1966. Nice tubes.
Thank you very much :D
You are a real tubes encyplopedia :cool:
Any thoughts on the Siemens (EI) EL34? I realized they need an extreme amount of hours to open up :eek:
And what is your verdict on the RFT made RFT EL34? Those are my favorite EL34 by quite a big margin :D

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Reactions: Golum

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
B3 sounds very nice. I actually upgraded from Amber3 which I consider a bargain at its price point. The B3 takes the A3 to the next higher level - everything is just more.
I consider every Lampi DAC a bargain at it's pricepoint :p

I am still playing around with some NOS stash, especially with the Sylvania 6SN7s and the Mullard/Valvo 5AR4s I have and trying to figure out.
After I already have a TRP (EL34 type pentodes) and a Pacific (DHTs) I would be REALLY reluctant to add another (2 or 3 in case of the B3?) tube type family to the mix
No way I'm going down another tube type family rabbit hole this time :eek:

At least the rectifiers can be used in all Lampi DACs ;)

I wonder that myself :D
I'm quite confident the B3 is an absolute killer soundwise :cool:

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
Same here.
Just tizzy :oops:
Exactly that - but in Tobian preamp it's fantastic (which is actually super cool) as I can finally use it :)

• Haha

perfusionist

Nov 4, 2020
Exactly that - but in Tobian preamp it's fantastic (which is actually super cool) as I can finally use it :)

Hi Guys, hope everyone had a good Christmas.

Has anyone tried the PSVane KT88 black tubes on the GA TRP?

I listened to the GEC KT66 (Black) for 3 days straight and then switched to Tesla EL51s and the difference I noticed immediately was a more pronounced bass. However for the sweetness of the midrange, nothing could beat the GEC KT66 imho. I will be sending back the KT66s to @shadowlight this week. Bought a pair of NOS GEC KT66 (clear tubes) on eBay and they should be arriving tomorrow or Wednesday (hopefully before new year)

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
Hi Guys, hope everyone had a good Christmas.

Has anyone tried the PSVane KT88 black tubes on the GA TRP?

I listened to the GEC KT66 (Black) for 3 days straight and then switched to Tesla EL51s and the difference I noticed immediately was a more pronounced bass. However for the sweetness of the midrange, nothing could beat the GEC KT66 imho. I will be sending back the KT66s to @shadowlight this week. Bought a pair of NOS GEC KT66 (clear tubes) on eBay and they should be arriving tomorrow or Wednesday (hopefully before new year)
have you tried the ps vane 6ca6

christoph

Dec 11, 2015

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
no but it maybe tghe same tube as ps vane 11 a lower grade possible , i dont thinj each have there own makeer

leftside

Jan 22, 2018
@highstream what Supratek preamp are you using with the TRP ? I am eager to order the Cabaret dual from Mick but there is some pretty long wait time at the moment.

On a different note, does the 5R4GY recti work on all Lampi DAC ? I recently got a Baltic3 and wondering if it would work ? Anybody compare with the EML 5U4G ?
I ordered the Cortese LCR from Mick this year and like it a lot. What's the wait list at the moment?

IMG_5497.jpg

IMG_5484.jpg

Last edited:

leftside

Jan 22, 2018
Thank you very much :D
You are a real tubes encyplopedia :cool:
Any thoughts on the Siemens (EI) EL34? I realized they need an extreme amount of hours to open up :eek:
And what is your verdict on the RFT made RFT EL34? Those are my favorite EL34 by quite a big margin :D
No idea on the EI I'm afraid. I like the earlier RFT tubes a lot, and often run the RFT EL11 in the TRP. I think I have some RFT EL34 as well. Will have to dig them out...

DeadWax

Apr 11, 2020
Trying to find sellers of the Psvane 6Ca7 TII. Are we pretty much relegated to obtaining them from China?

Reactions: Alrainbow

gestalt

Aug 3, 2019
Nashville, TN
gestalt.audio
Trying to find sellers of the Psvane 6Ca7 TII. Are we pretty much relegated to obtaining them from China?
I have a set if you'd like them.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing