LampizatOr Golden Atlantic + TRP

findog

Apr 29, 2019
www.tinyurl.com
And which is your favorite combo and why?
I don't know. I really haven't spent time analyzing. When I hot-swap recti's I think I hear differences but then is it my imagination. By the time I turn off the TRP and swap output tubes I forget what it sounded like. They all sound good. One day I will really sit down and compare using some notes. How about you?

Reactions: christoph and Ed_K

leftside

Jan 22, 2018
I don't know. I really haven't spent time analyzing. When I hot-swap recti's I think I hear differences but then is it my imagination. By the time I turn off the TRP and swap output tubes I forget what it sounded like. They all sound good. One day I will really sit down and compare using some notes. How about you?
An honest answer! I too find the same quite often unless the differences are very obvious. I have to really concentrate and be in a dark room when listening. Two things don't help:

1) The human ear/brain will forget how things sound very quickly, which is often why you will hear people when they receive new gear say "It's bringing out sounds that I didn't hear before".
2) Some of these tubes have different output power - and louder typically = "better".

It would be nice to have two TRP's connected to the preamp at the same time so you could compare tubes better without having to remove tubes quickly :) I had my GA connected to my preamp at the same time as my TRP for a day, and I could definitely tell the differences between the two DACs.

I'm as guilty as the next person (probably more so...) of rolling a few different tubes in quick succession, but I also like to listen with one set of tubes for a few days and then another set of tubes for a few more days. Combining the two methods (quick swaps and listening for a few days), I gradually start to hear small differences. More so with different amp designs than others. It's all good fun.

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
I also like to listen with one set of tubes for a few days and then another set of tubes for a few more days. Combining the two methods (quick swaps and listening for a few days),
That is also how I do it.
I first get acquainted with a new tube over a longer period and then swap back to my known assets to compare.

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
After my EL51s and my TRP seemingly don't like each other too much, I can't comment on the EL51s but people I know love the EL51s over all other tubes we came along. So they really must be special. I hope I will find out one day for myself :rolleyes:

From the tubes in my stash that do work I like the Psvane 6CA7-TII in combination with the RK 5u4g recti the best. (The EH 6CA7 I didn't like at all)

The NOS RFT EL34 is very special and I like them second best.

The NOS GEC KT66 in combination with the ACME 274B recti is also very nice, less transparent and more charming.

The NOS Siemens EL34 after a BIG LOT of hours are also finally opening up nicely.

The current production Genalex Gold Line KT77 are easily available and dirt cheap. They are VERY transparent and take profit from a more charming rectifier like maybe the chatham potatoe masher but I also like them with the RK 5u4g

Last edited:

highstream

VIP/Donor
Nov 16, 2013
After my EL51s and my TRP seemingly don't like each other too much, I can't comment on the EL51s but people I know love the EL51s over all other tubes we came along. So they really must be special. I hope I will find out one day for myself :rolleyes:
christoph, I remain interested in what was it about the EL51's that didn't work for you with the TRP. One of the things I've gotten with them that wasn't there with the early 1970's GEC KT-66, is shoutiness on some louder passages, such as with female vocals and jazz pianos. It's a close-mic effect, but I don't know that the mic was actually too close, as I've been able to more or less control it with different rectifiers (e.g., more with Brimar than the 596).

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Are these the same tubes that came with the GA TRP?

For me, its the GEC KT66 + USAF 596 combination! Its heaven!
No, those are the Siemens EL34 that come/came with the GA TRP, not the RFT EL34.
Enjoy your favorite combo :cool:

Reactions: perfusionist

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
christoph, I remain interested in what was it about the EL51's that didn't work for you with the TRP. One of the things I've gotten with them that wasn't there with the early 1970's GEC KT-66, is shoutiness on some louder passages, such as with female vocals and jazz pianos. It's a close-mic effect, but I don't know that the mic was actually too close, as I've been able to more or less control it with different rectifiers (e.g., more with Brimar than the 596).
It is not that I would not like the sound of the EL51 because my friends are all over the moon with the EL51 but my exact TRP does not work with the EL51 and I have absolutely no clue why.
My EL51 work perfectly in my friends TRPs and their EL51 also don't work in my TRP :(
Thanks to Corona I have NOT heard the EL51 working so far.
I hope I will soon be able to hear the EL51 in a friend's TRP to come to my own conclusion about the EL51.
If I love them as much as my friends do, I might have send my TRP back home to Poland for a revision :rolleyes:
All the other tubes I have work wonderfully, it is only with those bloody EL51 :mad:

leftside

Jan 22, 2018
The NOS RFT EL34 is very special and I like them second best.

The NOS Siemens EL34 after a BIG LOT of hours are also finally opening up nicely.
Any identification codes on the RFT or Siemens? RFT made a lot of different variations. For example, all Telefunken EL34 tubes manufactured after 1971 were actually made by RFT.

Siemens never made an EL34. They rebranded other manufacturers EL34. Mainly from Philips, and later from.... RFT. I might be able to identify the Siemens if there are codes on the tubes, and you post up some pictures including getters, plates and base.

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Any identification codes on the RFT or Siemens? RFT made a lot of different variations. For example, all Telefunken EL34 tubes manufactured after 1971 were actually made by RFT.

Siemens never made an EL34. They rebranded other manufacturers EL34. Mainly from Philips, and later from.... RFT.
Maybe I can take some pics for you tomorrow but they don't look the same.
From memory: The box from the Siemens says '92... Can that be?

leftside

Jan 22, 2018
Maybe I can take some pics for you tomorrow but they don't look the same.
From memory: The box from the Siemens says '92... Can that be?
Post 'em up and I'll take a look. The boxes might not mean anything, but the codes on the tubes and the construction tell everything.

Reactions: christoph

highstream

VIP/Donor
Nov 16, 2013
I just got an allegedly NOS 5R4GY Brimar NOS w/ dual O getter from India (maybe you've seen the ubiquitous posts on eBay, with lines of boxes, often from totempole_999). Strangely, it doesn't have any markings on it. Out of the box, it sounds good, with a slightly dark tone vs. the relatively brighter -- and I don't think bright -- 596. On the TRP, the shoutiness I mentioned was still there, but it pretty much disappeared when switched to the Supratek preamp, with the 596/EL51 combo in the TRP.

findog

Apr 29, 2019
www.tinyurl.com
What would be helpful for me is for the NOS tubes, such as the RFT EL34, if someone who is in the know about the tube post a link to ebay or similar site so we can see and possibly purchase the tube. Without a link, I'm left guessing if it's the right one.

findog

Apr 29, 2019
www.tinyurl.com
I found a 5U3C tube in a drawer. The tube label is in a circle with three bars like wings on either side. Does anyone know what tube this is and their impressions of it? So far, sounds very nice, pretty deep, forward, high end a little muddy perhaps. Paired with EH 6CA7 (new).

Last edited:

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
I found a 5U3C tube in a drawer. The tube label is in a circle with three bars like wings on either side. Does anyone know what tube this is and their impressions of it? So far, sounds very nice, pretty deep, forward, high end a little muddy perhaps. Paired with EH 6CA7 (new).
Russian one - nothing spectacular in general...

Reactions: findog

HungarianPal

Jul 18, 2020
Hungary
It is actually 5C3S (if transcoding the cyrillic lettering correctly). The label with the 3 bars is the logo of the Svetlana factory in St. Petersburg. (BTW they manufactured EL34 tubes as well).
Back to the recti - the black anode variant is supposed to be better than the greyplate. My TRP was supplied with this recti from Lampi (alas, with greyplates)

Reactions: findog

findog

Apr 29, 2019
www.tinyurl.com
It is actually 5C3S (if transcoding the cyrillic lettering correctly). The label with the 3 bars is the logo of the Svetlana factory in St. Petersburg. (BTW they manufactured EL34 tubes as well).
Back to the recti - the black anode variant is supposed to be better than the greyplate. My TRP was supplied with this recti from Lampi (alas, with greyplates)
Mine is the black and it sounds pretty good. I’ve been swapping rectifiers all day. Very hard to really tell much of difference frankly. I like to think the DAC is that good that the tubes make subtle changes.

findog

Apr 29, 2019
www.tinyurl.com
Right now really enjoying the Tung-Sol 5881 paired with Psvane ACME 274B. Bass is heavier, visceral muscle in presentation that some other combos lack but little harsh on top. If you u want to rock or roll, good combo.

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Post 'em up and I'll take a look. The boxes might not mean anything, but the codes on the tubes and the construction tell everything.
20201224_111919.jpg
Those are the Siemens 20201224_111949.jpg

And these are the RFT EL34 with the dimple top
20201224_112229.jpg
20201224_112301.jpg

Next are GEC KT66
20201224_112648.jpg

And Brimar 6L6G
20201224_112844.jpg

And the legendary Tesla EL51
20201224_120210.jpg

leftside

Jan 22, 2018
Reactions: christoph

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing