nos and new. Gec
You tried all of the KT66, KT77 and KT88 in new and NOS? :eek:
New was the Genalex Gold Lions?
And NOS all GEC? :eek:

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
I would NOT guarantee that.

I do agree it is a psychological barrier. It is so cheap it can't be any good, right?

I pretty much always revert to it. I haven't tried any recti I find better overall. It just gives the best clarity I've heard with the least colouration.

That said there are guys on here that have tried way more rectifiers than me.

It's hard to admit it to yourself if you have dumped £400 on something that isn't as good.

This is absolutely NOT my experience.
As agreable the Potatoe Masher sounds, it is really a significant step below my top 4 recties.
Btw. I do own the Potatoe Masher and I would love to use that one instead of the more and very much more expensive recties. Especially after I need three recties ;)

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein

fbs

Apr 22, 2019
Bavaria
:D:D:D:D we are crazy bunch of guys aren’t we? :p:cool:
As one of the crazy guys o_O, I hunted a ACME (think it's the regular version according to TAD) and will listen and report later my impressions...:D:cool:

Reactions: christoph and Ed_K

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
As agreable the Potatoe Masher sounds, it is really a significant step below my top 4 recties.
Btw. I do own the Potatoe Masher and I would love to use that one instead of the more and very much more expensive recties. Especially after I need three recties ;)

I have a preamp that takes 5U4G. So I need three.

Give you one guess what I use in that?;)

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

The masher sounded better in Justin's system when he had his old preamp. I then tried in three other systems including in the Allnic phono in one and it was quite a few steps below any recti, lacking resolution and congesting information.

Justin, have you compared the masher and the KR using the Luxman pre?

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
The masher sounded better in Justin's system when he had his old preamp. I then tried in three other systems including in the Allnic phono in one and it was quite a few steps below any recti, lacking resolution and congesting information.

Justin, have you compared the masher and the KR using the Luxman pre?

No. But I am very skeptical the KR would win with the Luxman.

It is still the best recti choice with the Luxman of the set of.rectis I own.

I went through some 5U4G and equivalent rectis before I even owned a Lampi. I'm confident the masher is excellent. Much better than EML 274B for instance. Waste of money that one. Sold them very quickly when I discovered the masher.

Peter Q of Audio Note likes them and I agree with him. They end up in a lot of AN amps.

Quite like the FIVRE 5U4G for a softer sound.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
No. But I am very skeptical the KR would win with the Luxman.

It is still the best recti choice with the Luxman of the set of.rectis I own.

I went through some 5U4G and equivalent rectis before I even owned a Lampi. I'm confident the masher is excellent. Much better than EML 274B for instance. Waste of money that one. Sold them very quickly when I discovered the masher.

Peter Q of Audio Note likes them and I agree with him. They end up in a lot of AN amps.

Quite like the FIVRE 5U4G for a softer sound.

Your previous preamp was very low resolution. You like it but it was stopping all the goods from getting through. When you try it with the Luxman you will see

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
Your previous preamp was very low resolution. You like it but it was stopping all the goods from getting through. When you try it with the Luxman you will see

No it wasn't very low resolution. It's a really good valve pre and way better than an 868 for much less money.

That KR sound thin and anaemic to me. The Luxman won't help it.

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
I assume you can talk about preamps and the matching (good or bad) tubes in some other topic, if you agree, as this one became hectic as is, even without this preamp talk...thanks for understanding...

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I assume you can talk about preamps and the matching (good or bad) tubes in some other topic, if you agree, as this one became hectic as is, even without this preamp talk...thanks for understanding...

You want to have a Lampi thread without tube rolling and preamp matching?

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
Ked if you add into this mess also preamps then we can also add power amps and even maybe sources which blends perfectly with entire combo and we'll have one monster thread without anybody being able to extract key info for them...just my two cents...

Reactions: dminches

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
@Golum for clarity,the ACME 274b has a clear tight sound as opposed to warm and romantic?
I would just call it clear, detailed, spacious, airy...can't really comment on warm/romantic side of things. Hope this helps a bit..

sujay

Member Sponsor
May 5, 2012
Singapore
I would just call it clear, detailed, spacious, airy...can't really comment on warm/romantic side of things. Hope this helps a bit..
Hi, any views on RK 5U4G vs Acme 274b? I recently acquired the former and quite like it - better than the KR limited lampi edition. I also have the stock KR 274b. So wanted to get your view whether it’s worth investing in an Acme 274b

Grateful for your thoughts....thx

Reactions: christoph

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing