Lampizator DAC measurements.

The topic was never Lampi measurements since that was not what you asked for. Your first post asked for Lampi measurements and then made implicit and incorrect assumptions about people who own tube gear, and about tube gear in general. So, the thread is on point.

Yeah well no measurement results came about and we ended up straying off course. The reason tubes came up is because all Lampi gear uses tubes. I think it's safe to assume people buy Lampi gear for the sound. Certainly isn't for the non existent measurement data.

Why is it so hard for tube lovers to admit that it's the colorations that they love about Lampi's and tube gear in general? It's perfectly okay to love something for any reason.

I don't know why you keep saying I have no experience with gear. I've been building gear for 20 years. I started hanging out at high end audio shops listening to gear when I was 13.

Because you never state what gear you have demmed. The best you can up with when pushed was hypex on Logan ascents, and even then you hasn't compared it to make the call

Yeah well no measurement results came about and we ended up straying off course. The reason tubes came up is because all Lampi gear uses tubes. I think it's safe to assume people buy Lampi gear for the sound. Certainly isn't for the non existent measurement data.

So, in audio, you want people to buy gear not for the sound?

So, in audio, you want people to buy gear not for the sound?

Where are you getting this information from? When have I stated once in this thread that I'm against this type of sound?

One thing I can say with confidence is Bruce will have an easier time reproducing the GG sound on the Horus, than he will reproducing the Horus sound on the GG.

One thing I can say with confidence is Bruce will have an easier time reproducing the GG sound on the Horus, than he will reproducing the Horus sound on the GG.

how can the horus reproduce the DHT sound?

Why is it so hard for tube lovers to admit that it's the colorations that they love about Lampi's and tube gear in general? It's perfectly okay to love something for any reason.
who buys gear based on measurement data?

how can the horus reproduce the DHT sound?

Bruce is going to record some tracks via the analog outputs on the GG with the Merging Horus and Pyramix. Then he's going to play them back on the Horus DAC, and compare with the original tracks played on the GG. If the Horus's ADC and DAC section is completely transparent, they should be indistinguishable from each other with the levels set the same.

who buys gear based on measurement data?

Some people do. If nobody cared about spec's, some DAC manufacturers probably wouldn't bother posting them.

Because you never state what gear you have demmed. The best you can up with when pushed was hypex on Logan ascents, and even then you hasn't compared it to make the call

Do you need a detailed list of every piece of audio gear I've listened to over the last 36 years?

Then just buy Japananese mass market gear and be done with it!

I don't think the prerequisite for a DAC manufacturer to offer measurement spec's is to sell mass market Japanese audio gear.

Bruce is going to record some tracks via the analog outputs on the GG with the Merging Horus and Pyramix. Then he's going to play them back on the Horus DAC, and compare with the original tracks played on the GG. If the Horus's ADC and DAC section is completely transparent, they should be indistinguishable from each other with the levels set the same.

So tracks recorded from the GG will be played through the Horus, and compared with tracks directly played through the Horus?

Ah ok got it. He will compare the recording from the Horus with direct play from the GG

Ah ok got it. He will compare the recording from the Horus with direct play from the GG

Yes I think this was my 3rd time mentioning it on this thread. Plus we originally discussed it on the R2R thread as well.

If they sound the same, that proves the Horus has no coloration. Then if it's determined that the Horus has no coloration, next test should be to compare the sound of the original track to the one recorded from the GG outputs. If they sound different it proves the GG does add coloration.

If they sound the same, that proves the Horus has no coloration. Then if it's determined that the Horus has no coloration, next test should be to compare the sound of the original track to the one recorded from the GG outputs. If they sound different it proves the GG does add coloration.

Excuse me for my ignorance, but who cares if the GG adds colouration or that the Horus is "transparent"? Surely what matters is that the converter pleases the purchaser?

I'm not trying to be argumentative; I'm just unsure what the utility of it all is. It assumes that transparency is/should be the paramount consideration; I am not sure this premise is valid.

Edit: I suggest an alternative premise may be we all like different sound, and chose our equipment accordingly.

I don't think the prerequisite for a DAC manufacturer to offer measurement spec's is to sell mass market Japanese audio gear.

That is my point. If measurements are the main driver, then the Japanese mass market will offer the best of that, thrashing even their own boutique guys like Kondo/Shindo/Audio Note and Audio Tekne. However, sonically, they are not even in the same ball park as the fabled names I mentioned.

Dude - no one is denying it is adding coloration. It is your theory that people who buy valves only do so for coloration. Two entirely different things, and the way you state things. You can do the same test with the Horus and Lampi Level 3 instead of Horus and GG, and prove Level 3 adds distortion. Does that mean a Big 7/GG user will buy Level 3? I can tell you that I would give up up to Level 6 for certain SS dacs (if they came in at a good price). So, can you start looking at what makes Big 7/GG special instead of simply saying distortion?

Who cares about measurements and colorations , Lampi is a better source of legal drug than ss designs imo . Sorry to post it in polish - in short means " listening to the music result in producing dopamine , the hormon of hapiness".

Attachments

• dopamina.jpg
    dopamina.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 87
Last edited:
The thing is a really low distortion valve amp will sound like ... a solid state amp.
There is nothing wrong with added distortion ,a friend has a box where you can dial in the amount and order of the distortion you wish to add.
Keith.

Like I said, can you please explain why people who prefer Big 7 and GG might not prefer Big 6 and below if they buy it for 'distortion'

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing