LampizatOr Baltic 3

Devg

Feb 16, 2020
Friends had them and sold them (used in TRP) from that same reason you wrote but some might like it. My advise would be to stick with the Russian one you got the unit with. Just give it time amd it will reward you…

thanks @Golum
Looks like I am not imagining. I bought the Sophia based on some thread here where they liked it in their Lampi DAC. It’s a bit surprising that Sophia would make something like this as they are generally very good with their tubes. Not sure if I got a bad one and I have no way to find it out except to buy another one and then compare. I have the EML 5u4g and quiet like them as well - its sounds more fuller and rich. It’s been a while since I listened to the stock Russian. Can you elaborate what you mean by “give it time” ? Needs more break-in ?

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
Can you elaborate what you mean by “give it time” ? Needs more break-in ?

Apparently it really needs a long burn in time but once settled it starts to sing in full bloom. All this is tried in B3 and compared to some very highly rated current and NOS rectifiers.

Reactions: Devg

DomA

Mar 29, 2022
I read this thread with great interest and I am intrigued in the Lampizator DACs.
I have never listened to any but plan to do so in the future, I am based in the UK.
My budget would stretch to Big 7 Mk II but maybe you can convince me that Baltic 3 is more than good enough.
It would replace my Burmester 151 Musiccenter which to be honest I love what this does already.
Can you give me an idea what the Big 7 would do/add to my system instead of the Burmester 151?
Of course, I would not buy blind and would get a home demo unit to evaluate properly.
I am interested in your experience.
Many thanks in advance.

Sablon Audio

Industry Expert, VIP Donor
May 22, 2015
There’s a great write up on 12au7 nos tube options from John Massaria in the thread linked below, albeit not in a Baltic. I read this after going into the deep end last week, comparing the two E80CC ‘super tube’ options and Telefunken G73R.

The clear winner was the Tungsram made (relabelled as Siemens) one, which had a higher level of resolution and wide open presentation. The jump in performance from the Tungsram over the other two wasn’t slight and one tube reseller describes it as being like a TFK 802s on steroids. I used them with Tak274b and Melz 1578, driven by Taiko Extreme / an experimental Sablon Evo ‘squared’ usb cable / platinum King Sablon cord.

As these tubes are still pretty cheap, there’s little reason to buy something else unless your circuit can’t cope with the extra current draw or you have an enclosed chassis with insufficient space.

E5B32CF3-A556-4AAA-9D08-E2DBBC64779E.jpeg

Last edited:

heihei

VIP/Donor
Jul 24, 2017
I read this thread with great interest and I am intrigued in the Lampizator DACs.
I have never listened to any but plan to do so in the future, I am based in the UK.
My budget would stretch to Big 7 Mk II but maybe you can convince me that Baltic 3 is more than good enough.
It would replace my Burmester 151 Musiccenter which to be honest I love what this does already.
Can you give me an idea what the Big 7 would do/add to my system instead of the Burmester 151?
Of course, I would not buy blind and would get a home demo unit to evaluate properly.
I am interested in your experience.
Many thanks in advance.
I'm not familiar with the musiccenter, but spent some time with a pre/909 a while back so have some idea of the "house" sound. A Lampizator DAC is likely to sound quite different I think - Lampi majors on timbre / tonal accuracy, flow of the music, space around the music, all of which can be altered somewhat depending on the tubes used. It focuses less on outright detail than some other designs.
There are plenty around in the UK depending on where you are, and Greg at G-Point who distributes them is very friendly to deal with.

PS Just noticed the Cavalli head-amp - any good?

Reactions: Nikko and Golum

DomA

Mar 29, 2022
I'm not familiar with the musiccenter, but spent some time with a pre/909 a while back so have some idea of the "house" sound. A Lampizator DAC is likely to sound quite different I think - Lampi majors on timbre / tonal accuracy, flow of the music, space around the music, all of which can be altered somewhat depending on the tubes used. It focuses less on outright detail than some other designs.
There are plenty around in the UK depending on where you are, and Greg at G-Point who distributes them is very friendly to deal with.

PS Just noticed the Cavalli head-amp - any good?
Thanks for the information, interesting.
Regarding Cavalli amp, yes it’s very good. It’s extremely powerful though. With both my headphones you don’t need to turn the volume knob much for loud music. Not sure if this amp with its power is relevant today.
I can listen to it all night long if that gives you an idea as to what it does.

Reactions: heihei

VoicesInMyHead

Apr 7, 2018
Sweden
As Lampi owners we are both blessed and cursed at the same time. with continuous development and improvements there's always the feeling of wanting to upgrade... "something"! Does anyone know anything about this statement which I just found on the Baltic 3 ordering page?

"BALTIC-3 : it took about 1000 listening hour tests to refine the sound of this DAC to the unprecedented level. we literally tested EVERY resistor or cap in the DAC, tens of components and operating points - and with each step we got closer to Nirvana - a fully immersive sensation of swimming in a huge cloud of music. Based on the new digital engine Code #18 developed in february 2022 we acheved functionality and sound not possible before."

This sounds like something that I would want, eventually... :)

How much does this new digital engine improve on the original already fabulous B3? :cool:

Reactions: Rgt911

tedwoods

Dec 14, 2021
As Lampi owners we are both blessed and cursed at the same time. with continuous development and improvements there's always the feeling of wanting to upgrade... "something"! Does anyone know anything about this statement which I just found on the Baltic 3 ordering page?

"BALTIC-3 : it took about 1000 listening hour tests to refine the sound of this DAC to the unprecedented level. we literally tested EVERY resistor or cap in the DAC, tens of components and operating points - and with each step we got closer to Nirvana - a fully immersive sensation of swimming in a huge cloud of music. Based on the new digital engine Code #18 developed in february 2022 we acheved functionality and sound not possible before."

How much does this new digital engine improve on the original already fabulous B3? :cool:
Engine #198 is the new Lampi digital engine (replaced engine 53) and I believe it can be retrofitted in the B3 at the factory. As for the sound, I don't know yet, but I'll know eventually since I'm making the switch in my DAC. I just trust Lampi...

mourip

Feb 8, 2020

@VoicesInMyHead. I tried to find that quote on the North America B3 web info page and also the ordering page but did not see it. Could you post a link?

Does anyone know if any upgrades/updates can be performed by the US crew or does one need to ship to Poland?

dbeau

Apr 20, 2018
OKC,USA
@VoicesInMyHead. I tried to find that quote on the North America B3 web info page and also the ordering page but did not see it. Could you post a link?

Does anyone know if any upgrades/updates can be performed by the US crew or does one need to ship to Poland?
I was informed by Rob/Lampi NA that to be done correctly, it would be done in Poland.

VoicesInMyHead

Apr 7, 2018
Sweden

Here's the order page from the European website..

I heard in second hand that upgrades will not be possible at this time....

Reactions: mourip

mourip

Feb 8, 2020
I was informed by Rob/Lampi NA that to be done correctly, it would be done in Poland.
Sorry to hear that. Does anyone know if normal repairs can be done in the US?

Rgt911

Jan 6, 2022
Friends had them and sold them (used in TRP) from that same reason you wrote but some might like it. My advise would be to stick with the Russian one you got the unit with. Just give it time amd it will reward you…
Anybody has experience with the Sophia Electric Aqua 274B B3 ? I bought one couple of days back and it has around 200hrs on it but the sound is very uninteresting, flat, harsh and thin. Did I get a bad one ? Need more time to break-in ?I had probably 500 hours
Anybody has experience with the Sophia Electric Aqua 274B B3 ? I bought one couple of days back and it has around 200hrs on it but the sound is very uninteresting, flat, harsh and thin. Did I get a bad one ? Need more time to break-in ?
I have the same experience with the Sophia electric 274B. I took it out after 300 hours and switch back to KR54UG. Its the best tube upgrade I have to date. The KR54UG brings the SQ to a new dimension. Its just incredible! I can listen to music for hours with out fatigue. You should give it a try, its worth every penny.

Reactions: christoph

mourip

Feb 8, 2020
I have the same experience with the Sophia electric 274B. I took it out after 300 hours and switch back to KR54UG. Its the best tube upgrade I have to date. The KR54UG brings the SQ to a new dimension. Its just incredible! I can listen to music for hours with out fatigue. You should give it a try, its worth every penny.
I am not sure how many hours I have on my Sophia but I have been very happy with it. I find it to be detailed but not fatiguing. Perhaps it depends on one's other tube choices in the DAC? I have a pretty good stash of other various octal and 4 pin NOS rectifiers and this easily bested them in my system. I have not owned or tried any of the other more expensive new production rectifiers that often get mentioned here but from descriptions they seem to have less of the "classic" NOS warm tube sound, being more neutral, moving toward the SS side of the balance. One of these days perhaps I will pick up a KR tube to give it a try. Glad to know that there are more choices out there.

Vangelis

Oct 11, 2011
I was understanding that the 54UG position contributed very little to the sound of the tube compliment, at least as noted in the manual. I would like to try some tubes in that position. Where did you search for KR tube. When I do a search on the KR54UG I can not find a thing.

Rgt911

Jan 6, 2022
I was understanding that the 54UG position contributed very little to the sound of the tube compliment, at least as noted in the manual. I would like to try some tubes in that position. Where did you search for KR tube. When I do a search on the KR54UG I can not find a thing.
Sorry I made a typo. RK 5u4g. Look it up or call Rob at Destination Sound corp, NY.

Rgt911

Jan 6, 2022
thanks @Golum
Looks like I am not imagining. I bought the Sophia based on some thread here where they liked it in their Lampi DAC. It’s a bit surprising that Sophia would make something like this as they are generally very good with their tubes. Not sure if I got a bad one and I have no way to find it out except to buy another one and then compare. I have the EML 5u4g and quiet like them as well - its sounds more fuller and rich. It’s been a while since I listened to the stock Russian. Can you elaborate what you mean by “give it time” ? Needs more break-in ?
Sophia tube is good but not as good as KR 5u4g. The KR 5u4g, sound stage is bigger, bolder, more authority compare to Sophia aqua 274b. Never tried the EML 5u4g mesh but I know it’s also good. I will give it a try in due time.

Vangelis

Oct 11, 2011
I’m a little confused regarding all the engines. So, is there a eminent Baltic 4 or mid production change in the Baltic 3 with the new digital Code 18 engine? The specification for the brand new Amber 4 show it with a “brand new” engine Code 53 DSD. Is the Brand new Code 53 DSD different from what is in the Baltic three now?

From the specifications from the Baltic 3:
Engine #53 our best selling engine also with DSD512 on board

From the website description of the Amber 4:
Brand new Code53DSD/PCMfullybalanceddigitalengine-deriveddirectlyfrom Pacific 57 engine

Reactions: mourip and Rgt911

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
I don't think there is any B4 around the corner...its just a move to other dig engine as far as I know...

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing