Lampizator announcement: launch of our all new TOTL HORIZON DAC

Yesterday while my wife was out for a few hours I decided that once again I wanted to revisit the use of different Horizon preamp levels when used inconjuncion with an external preamp. Previously I stated that according to what I hear in my system, sonically, the performance is better with an eternal preamp with the Horizon set to "63" (bypass mode)as was suggested in the user manual , and using my Lamm LL1 preamp to adjust for volume.

I remained interested that Rau who use the same tubes as I do in my Horizon has his Horizon set at 57 and he has an external preamp which he uses for volume control

I started by using my typical setting at 63 with my Lamm preamp at gain position number 7. I reman mesmerized by the sound. I then went down stepwise on the Horizon preamp with very little (if any) audible difference between 63 and 62 and keeping my Lamm at position 7. At 61 there was a clear and distinct drop off in the sound where it seemed slightly recessed but at 60 the sound was beginning to collapse. The sound stage seemed farther away and very recessed. I took this all the way down to 52 which became a mere shadow of its former self. I then began increasing incrementally until I reached 57. The sound was distinctly recessed , subdued and lacking all of the dynamics that I was loving at 63. I continued to increase the gain on my Lamm in order to recreate the magic but never seemed to get there. Then I tried to do a blinded test by using the Horizon remote pointed at the remote but unable for me to see what the volume was at. I did this on the go I went up and down several clicks back and forth while playing many demo tracks I use to tune my system I had no idea where my Horizon was set. The gain on my Lamm remained at position 7. Over the course of an hour I continued to go up and down until I thought I was back to position 63 and was using only my Lamm preamp. I settled into a volume position which initially I thought was back to 63. I played a few more files and it sounded ok but it was missing the PRAT to which I was accustomed. Something just didn't sound correct as the sound stage was lacking some of the info that I was hearing when in bypass mode. After playing a few more files I was not feeling the hair bristle on my arms and I wasn't as drawn into the music and couldn't't figure out why until I finally looked at the volume on the Horizon and the answer became obvious. In my mind with all of the ups and downs on the Horizon preamp volume and thinking I was back at 63, when I peeked the volume was at 61. So this takes me back to my initial part of the test where I reduced the Horizon gain and began to notice the sound was recessed and the sound stage not bristling when the volume was 61. In my attempt to try this blinded by not looking at the Horizon gain and clicking up and down somany times that I had no idea what the gain was on the Horizon. When I got back to where I thought was 63 and listened, it was close but definitely Knew it couldn't be 63 and having a look showed it at 61.

Perhaps this was a lot to do about nothing however at the end of my listening I knew once again that for my ears and my room, my preference remains having the Horizon in bypass mode and keeping my Lamm at detente position number 7. It truly sounds best for me at those settings. There is no question that the Horizon sounds very good going direct to amp but at the end of the day my system sounds best with an external preamp
While I was on holiday I left the dac at 62. Till now I’ve always preferd the sound with the preamp. Than I connected the Horizon direct to the Heisenberg monos and it is a bit better now without the preamp. I realised that I always used the dac with my Stern preamp, and the preamp in the dac was not broken-in. I suggest everyone to give a chance to the Horizon preamp again.

While I was on holiday I left the dac at 62. Till now I’ve always preferd the sound with the preamp. Than I connected the Horizon direct to the Heisenberg monos and it is a bit better now without the preamp. I realised that I always used the dac with my Stern preamp, and the preamp in the dac was not broken-in. I suggest everyone to give a chance to the Horizon preamp again.
As I said going direct DAC to amp in my system was very good. It just sounds better with my own preamp. There’s no right or wrong. It’s a matter of preference and individual taste.while on vacation you had your system on and the DAC at 62. Did you try it in bypass mode

Reactions: mr.gregdee
As I said going direct DAC to amp in my system was very good. It just sounds better with my own preamp. There’s no right or wrong. It’s a matter of preference and individual taste.while on vacation you had your system on and the DAC at 62. Did you try it in bypass mode
Yes, it was always bypassed. I am just saying that maybe the Horizon preamp needs more time to show its strength

Yes, it was always bypassed. I am just saying that maybe the Horizon preamp needs more time to show its strength
Mine has been in play for 2 months so it is well burned in. I agree that the preamp on the Horizon is indeed excellent. I still prefer the sound when using my preamp and the Horizon in by pass mode

Your signature says tidal dac.. Do you have the tidal and the horizon?

Houston, we have a tracking number!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks to @LampiNA and @Lukasz "Lampizator" Fikus for making this happen. The Horizon should be here by the end of this week, beginning of next.

Super psyched!

Reactions: LampiNA
Yeah DHL is best way to go , congrats just in time for weekend
David. My experience with DHL is that you get delivery before their announced delivery date. Lukasz commented to me that when shipping wet to us we have the ckickbwirking In-N-Out favor. Mine was delivered 3 days after DHL picked it up and 4 days ahead of schedule

Steve, interesting experiment. When you dropped the Horizon gain from 63 all the way down to 52, did you increase the volume of the Lamm pre accordingly so as to keep the. volume coming through the system the same?
I always read that it's best to have a DAC with no volume or in the fixed position same thing . But a lot are using the volume to fine tune . Steve's setup might not need this and he's happy with it at 63 , I also wondered if Steve is at same db level when comparing

note 63/fixed with preamp

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing